Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BigBoy91

WADs with strict design limitations?

I dunno why, but I've taken a liking to this concept. Working my way through 10 Sectors and Congestion 1024 right now. Do any others come to mind?

100 Lines, Zone 300 and my very own 900 Deep In The Dead spring to mind immediately.

Linedef limitations, 100 or 300 as per the WAD title.

26 minutes ago, Jayextee said:

100 Lines, Zone 300 and my very own 900 Deep In The Dead spring to mind immediately.

Linedef limitations, 100 or 300 as per the WAD title.

Just grabbed all 3 of these! Awesome.

15 minutes ago, Poncho1 said:

50 Shades of Graytall - only allowed to use three kinds of wall texture.

Interesting. I never thought about that kind of limitation.

Claustrophobia 1024/Claustrophobia 1024 2

There is also in production the 1000 lines Community Project, so expect a little release of that in march, maybe

1 minute ago, DJVCardMaster said:

Claustrophobia 1024/Claustrophobia 1024 2

Forgot about these! Wasn't there a bunch of drama surrounding the two of those projects?

Just now, NerdyButLazy said:

Forgot about these! Wasn't there a bunch of drama surrounding the two of those projects?

Yes, but I don't care about it, the important is the gameplay, and it's just fine. People don't want to play it just for that fact.

Also try 1 Monster (monsters in every single map are from only one class) or 50 Monsters (Only 50 monsters in each map)

Gridlock - all vertices had to be on the 64-unit grid.

4800 Hell Knights (still a working title) - every map has to be one room with at least 150 hell knights.

Iconography - every map has some variation of the Icon of Sin.

There are also all those 24-hour wads, where all of the maps had to be made in 24 hours.

45 minutes ago, Empyre said:

There are also all those 24-hour wads, where all of the maps had to be made in 24 hours.

You mean 32 in 24 series?

There's also Abyssal Speedmapping Session (2 / 3 hours for create a map) and speedmapping in general, where you are constricted by making a map in certain strict time limit, with even some ridiculous attempt to even more faster time limitations .

About monster limitations there's 1monster where you constricted to use only one type of monster and 50 monsters by AD_79, where he uses only 50 monsters for every map...

Another examples can be found in the Mayhem series, especially in Mayhem 2013 (2 monsters type for all maps), Mayhem 2048 (build a map under the 2048x2048 playable area limitation), Mayhem 1500 (make a map under the the 1500 linedefs limit), Mayhem 2016 (mapslot x 10 monsters or 160 things in total) and Super Mayhem 2017 (256 things in total and 5120x3840 playable area)...

Do time limitations count? If so, the 3 Heures d'Agonie series (1, 2, 3, bonus) should be good, they were "all" designed within a maximum of 3 hours of mapping. There are tons of other speedmapping projects, of course, but those came to my mind first.

If we're talking about Speedmapping, there was also the Pigeon Speedmapping and Eagle Speedmapping Sessions here on Doomworld. Both were short lived compared to the Abyssal Sessions, but they were still speed mapping and count as wads with limitations.

There's also the Texture Extravaganza CP, where mappers were limited to 4 textures and 4 flats (of their choosing, I think). It's currently in beta, but you can check it out.

Confinement 256 is a particularly memorable experience.  It's two mapsets accessible from a hub map when you start the wad: one by the project lead (Xyzzy01) and one a community mapset.

There are also links to bunch of other Space-Limited mapsets in the thread OP.

Currently on a downloading spree. Decided to start a list with all of the titles mentioned in this thread. Gonna keep this going the best I can.

100 Lines - Two 32 map megaWADs with maps constructed with 100 linedefs or fewer.

Zone 300 - 32 map megaWAD with maps constructed with 300 linedefs or fewer.

900 Deep in the Dead - 9 maps made with 100 lines each. Get it?

50 Shades of Graytall - 18 maps megaWAD that only uses 3 ugly wall textures.

10 Sectors - 32 map megaWAD with maps constructed with 10 sectors.

Congestion 1024 - 32 map megaWAD with maps limited to a 1024x1024 grid.

Claustrophobia 1024 - 32 map megaWAD made as a tribute to Congestion 1024.

Claustrophobia 1024 2 - See above.

1 Monster - 25 map megaWAD limited to 1 monster type per map.

50 Monsters - 32 + 2 map megaWAD limited to 50 monsters per map.

Gridlock 64 - 32 map megaWAD with every map aligned to the 64 units grid.

MAYhem 1500 - 32 + 2 map megaWAD with maps constructed with 1500 linedefs.

MAYhem 2012 - 12 maps designed in a month's time total.

MAYhem 2013 - 11 maps designed in a month's time total with the limitation of only 2 types of monsters per map.

MAYhem 2016 - 21 maps designed in a month's time total with the limitation of 160 things per map, or the the map number multiplied by 10.

MAYhem 2018: Orange Edition - 22 maps designed in a month's time total with its own set of DeHackEd monsters.

MAYhem 2018: Purple Edition - 20 maps designed in a month's time total with its own set of DeHackEd monsters.

MAYhem 2048 - 32 + 3 map megaWAD designed in a month's time total with maps limited to a 2048x2048 grid.

5 Minute Map Collection - 32 + 1 map megaWAD with maps designed in 2-15 minutes.

Doom 404 - 32 map megaWAD with maps constructed with 404 linedefs or fewer.

3 Heures d'Agonie - 32 map megaWAD with maps designed in 3 hours.

3 Heures d'Agonie 2 - See above.

3 Heures d'Agonie 3 - See above.

L'agonie Finale - 1 vanilla map composed of 7 speedmaps that were made in 3 hours.

Confinement 256 - "About 60" maps limited to a 256x256 grid.

Five Rooms of Doom - 32 map megaWAD with maps limited to 5 rooms.

2048 UNLEASHED - 32 map megaWAD with maps limited to a 2048x2048 grid.

Theresa - 6 maps constructed with 666 linedefs or fewer.

Plutonia 1024 - 32 map megaWAD with Plutonia Experiment themed maps limited to a 1024x1024 grid.

Congestion 64 - 32 map megaWAD with maps limited to a 64x64 grid.

Ultimatum - 7 levels each constructed with a limitation the mapper chose.

Congestion 192 - 32 map megaWAD with maps limited to a 192x192 grid.

Bijou Doom - 32 map megaWAD remake of the original Doom with the first 3 episodes limited to a 384x384 grid and the 4th limited to a 128x128 grid.

Edited by NerdyButLazy

20 hours ago, Crusader No Regret said:

Doom 404, which was released recently: If you do happen to not look at the textfile before diving in, see if you can work out what the limitation is.

Outside of the primary restriction you're alluding to, Doom 404 also has a lot of minor ones - every episode has rules about sky and liquid textures, and pretty much every map has a specific design motif it's working within.

My next project also has some funky restrictions, but they are vastly different ones. :)

On 1/28/2019 at 1:11 AM, Empyre said:

4800 Hell Knights (still a working title) - every map has to be one room with at least 150 hell knights.

Pretty much all of our group like the title "Knightmare". 

I forgot about these:

https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom/Ports/s-u/ultimatm (randomly chosen restrictions, episode for ultimate doom)

Congestion 192 (a megawad of 192x192 map unit resctriction)

Bijou Doom (a remake of ultimate doom levels under 384x384 playable space, episode 4 is under 192x192 map size)

Any map from Ryath/scwiba, especially unaligned and unnecessary.

On 1/27/2019 at 3:11 PM, Empyre said:

Aren't most of the 24-in-32 series DM maps? Right now playing #14 and its SP and Christmas themed lol.

4 hours ago, 94's the best style said:

Pretty much all of our group like the title "Knightmare". 

As part of that group, I like that name too, but last I saw the name on the thread was still 4800 Hell Knights.  I did specify that it easn't the final title.