Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
-TDRR-

Vanilla Doom/Boom-compatible mods?

(as in, gameplay mods that run in Vanilla Doom or Boom)

What are the Vanilla-compatible gameplay mods you know about? Besides a few built by me, the only one i know of is the "Enhanced Weapons Patch" that even though it says it requires Doom Legacy it works perfectly fine in Vanilla. Pretty cool mod, changes up some of the weapons and makes the Shotgun and SSG eject casings, and even destroyable bodies a whole decade before Brutal Doom did!

One of MBF's example files is a .deh to turn rockets into bouncing grenades. There's also this by the author of TNT Map02 that makes them partially invisible and immobile, turning them into mines, but it's so old it needs an earlier version of DeHackEd, which by extention means no source port supports it.

The only ones I know of are Vanilla Smooth Doom and various others that come with maps attached - All Hell is Breakng Loose has some really cool weapons and enemies. There’s also D2EXTREME which I swear runs in vanilla, but the only version I can find these days is a Doom Legaxy version (from like 2002 or something). I know there are others I’m forgetting.. suprwep8.deh perhaps?

Edited by Doomkid

There must not be that many. It is just too much work and it is easy to run into compatibility problems with wads. But one I know is the accurate pistol mod (accpstl.deh) made by plums.

I think there might be some old mods of @Xaser's on the idgames archive that are vanilla comapitible, but I could be wrong about that

Most of my ye-olde stuff is indeed on /idgames, but frankly it's mostly crap and a bunch of them don't even work outside of janky ancient builds of ZDoom, thanks to hacks. If it has my name on it and pre-dates Zen Dynamics, It's probably best to avoid it. :P

Aside from a couple of rare outliers (e.g. Sparky's enhanced.wad), gameplay modders back in the day were either using EDGE (e.g. Cory Whittle) or jumped ship to ZDoom before perfecting the craft (Wildweasel, myself, others), so there's probably not much out there. The most notable examples I can think of offhand in recent years are Struggle and Valiant, and those are megawads.

The possibility space of DEHACKED isn't quite as limited as it's made out to be, though -- there are some super-cool Prboom-Plus-compatible MBF actions that I didn't even know existed until @antares031 pulled out some magic for Eviternity, so it might just be time for a minor revival. ;)

On 1/27/2019 at 11:13 PM, Doomkid said:

There’s also D2EXTREME which I swear runs in vanilla, but the only version I can find these days is a Doom Legaxy version (from like 2002 or something).

I'm not familiar with the Doom Legacy version - what's changed? the version I currently have is the one I got from http://www.doomwadstation.net/main/extreme.html which I think is the vanilla version. man I have such fond memories of the D2Xtreme wads, especially D2XGold. I was in total awe of the gameplay mod as a kid, and a lot of those sound replacements and midis will stick with me till the end of time haha. I still often open D2XGold up in Slade and cycle through the midis while I map