Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ShortedOutFuse

Backwoods: mod for Doom 2 Halloween 2020 Demo Released!

Recommended Posts

Cool!

 

Now the constructive feedback... 

 

No death animations? More monsters should have more death animations.

I strongly urge you not to use doom monsters in your mod. It just ... no. It makes it feel like the mod is half-assed.  Obviously Doom monsters do not fit with your mod's art style. I'm referring to the hell knight I saw at 3:08. (at which point I stopped watching the video since seeing the hell knight just ruined the whole experienced for me). You might get away with using lost souls, but, really, I would not use any original monsters.

 

Share this post


Link to post
16 minutes ago, Hellbent said:

Cool!

 

Now the constructive feedback... 

 

No death animations? More monsters should have more death animations.

I strongly urge you not to use doom monsters in your mod. It just ... no. It makes it feel like the mod is half-assed.  Obviously Doom monsters do not fit with your mod's art style. I'm referring to the hell knight I saw at 3:08. (at which point I stopped watching the video since seeing the hell knight just ruined the whole experienced for me). You might get away with using lost souls, but, really, I would not use any original monsters.

 

Thanks!  Yeah, I’m currently in the process of changing that hell knight and the mancubuses later on to something more theme appropriate. 

Share this post


Link to post

PRE-ALPHA VERSION 0.000000001 RELEASED!  This is still a very early work in progress but I wanted to get an early version out there before I get swamped with work for the next month or so.  Levels 2 and 3 are a bit rough but I hope you'll enjoy the mod.

 

http://www.mediafire.com/file/dstk2ez03mkmd2q/BackwoodsWIP.zip/file

 

keep in mind that stuff like the original doom monsters are only temporary, I plan to replace them with custom monsters when I have more time.

 

the super weapon found in level 3 will not be there in the final game.

Edited by ShortedOutFuse

Share this post


Link to post

So all the custom artwork is done by you? I must say, it looks really good, like it is taken straight from an actual adult cartoon from the 90s or something!

Share this post


Link to post

I like the cartoony style. Although I noticed that during the bat idle animation, he appears to puncture his own hand with the nails. 

Share this post


Link to post

New version available.  Still not completely finished but contains five completed levels.  Level six, while for the most part complete, does not contain an exit (there's somewhat of a boss fight than nothing) and is pretty bare bones aesthetically.  The reason I'm putting this out now is because I'm going to be pretty busy with work stuff and won't have much time to work on this so I wanted to put out what I had before going dark for a little while.

 

changes include many aesthetic improvements to levels four and five and a brand new level six.

 

anyway enough talk here's the link

http://www.mediafire.com/file/u38bl8716qoqjxp/Backwoods.zip/file

Remember to launch both wad files at the same time!

Edited by ShortedOutFuse

Share this post


Link to post

I always hate putting up unfinished builds of something I'm working on because I know as soon as I upload it I'll notice 500 things that need to be fixed or changed.  I than, however, see the previous build I had up and how it's basically garbage and imagine "what if I die tomorrow and this is the shit I'm remembered for".  All that to say here's the latest build of Backwoods, keep in mind it's still very unfinished but I feel it's, for the most part, presentable.  The first two levels still use default Doom 2 music and many assets are placeholders.  The original level 2 was scrapped so it goes straight from 1 to 3, keep that in mind if you use the IDCLEV cheat (level 3 is 4, 4 is 5, etc.).  levels 1 through 4 can be completed normally.  level 5, however, is currently under renovations and is unfinished, so once you get to the conveyor belt room that's pretty much it.  there is also no exit that leads to the secret level so if you want to see it in it's unfinished state type IDCLEV07, I recommend checking it out.  Yeah, like I said, still unfinished.  I'm mainly posting this update to keep anyone interested up to date on what's done so far.  Nothing in this is final and everything is subject to change blah blah blah...

 

anyway enough talk here's the link

 

http://www.mediafire.com/file/ixuhuiw7k55wtnd/BackwoodsWIP2.zip/file

Remember to launch both wad files at the same time!

Edited by ShortedOutFuse

Share this post


Link to post

So i've tried it, really well done, though it could use the text to be also in console to read what they have to say would have been nice.

also the demon gun reviewing every thing it eats is neat, but being only available for the map only is kind of weird, it would have been better if it worked regardless of maps.

so far this is great, but the tags for the weapons could also be better than just the standard doom ones.

 

Over all it's a fun map, but it's easy to break it because i took the wrong entrance.

and also nice refernces.

 

ALSO bug report, but the going "suck this!" song doesn't loop well.

Edited by Redead-ITA : bug report

Share this post


Link to post

 I am tempted to play this purely to see how you managed to use sprites from Columns of all goddamn things in a Doom mod. That is strangely impressive.

Share this post


Link to post
On 10/1/2020 at 6:04 AM, Redead-ITA said:

So i've tried it, really well done, though it could use the text to be also in console to read what they have to say would have been nice.

also the demon gun reviewing every thing it eats is neat, but being only available for the map only is kind of weird, it would have been better if it worked regardless of maps.

so far this is great, but the tags for the weapons could also be better than just the standard doom ones.

 

Over all it's a fun map, but it's easy to break it because i took the wrong entrance.

and also nice refernces.

 

ALSO bug report, but the going "suck this!" song doesn't loop well.

Thanks for the feedback!  Yeah, the demon gun's reviews only showing up in the level is because it's an ACS command in the map, not decorate.  I'm working on getting that working for any map.

 

What do you mean you took the wrong entrance?

Share this post


Link to post
23 hours ago, ShortedOutFuse said:

Thanks for the feedback!  Yeah, the demon gun's reviews only showing up in the level is because it's an ACS command in the map, not decorate.  I'm working on getting that working for any map.

 

What do you mean you took the wrong entrance?

In the beggining of the map when you take the wooden shack on the right if you take the entrance to the top right of the building the effect isn't as neat as it happens if it was in front of the building

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×