Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
doomiscool2005

Looking for a mod/addon that makes doom darker.

Basically, I've been searching around the net for a mod that makes DooM 1/2 darker and generally creepier. I have everything else I need to make the game creepy, but I'm just  missing a way to make the game darker. I would use Dark DooM, but the HI-RES textures are too much for my pc to handle. If anyone has a mod that allows the game to just be shaded darker, without any HI-RES texture bullshit. Thanks in advance. Also yes, I have used Darker DooM textures. It runs fine but replaces all the weapons and such, and doesn't allow to use anything else (ex: different weapons, music, monsters, etc) also the flashlight is really laggy.

Edited by doomiscool2005

1 hour ago, elend said:

You might want to check this out:

Just checked this WAD out. Really good stuff here. Makes the game a bit easier on the eyes and makes the lighting a bit more dim. Not exactly what I was looking for, but coupled with the Darker DooM Textures (just the textures, no lighting) works great. Will be using this with all of my WAD/PK3 loudouts. Thanks a bunch.

Sorry to be a bother again, but does anyone happen to have a mod that adds a heartbeat of sorts? Like, when your health begins to get low you'd hear a heartbeat. I saw it in a Dark DooM video, but it's bundled with the Dark DooM I talked about earlier (can't change weapons and such). Thanks in advance.

8 hours ago, doomiscool2005 said:

Basically, I've been searching around the net for a mod that makes DooM 1/2 darker and generally creepier. I have everything else I need to make the game creepy, but I'm just  missing a way to make the game darker. I would use Dark DooM, but the HI-RES textures are too much for my pc to handle. If anyone has a mod that allows the game to just be shaded darker, without any HI-RES texture bullshit. Thanks in advance. Also yes, I have used Darker DooM textures. It runs fine but replaces all the weapons and such, and doesn't allow to use anything else (ex: different weapons, music, monsters, etc) also the flashlight is really laggy.

Why not just turn the monitor off? [/joking]

8 hours ago, doomiscool2005 said:

Sorry to be a bother again, but does anyone happen to have a mod that adds a heartbeat of sorts? Like, when your health begins to get low you'd hear a heartbeat. I saw it in a Dark DooM video, but it's bundled with the Dark DooM I talked about earlier (can't change weapons and such). Thanks in advance.

Customdoom has settings to make your heart beat at a certain amout of minimum health. It's actually a regen feature, but guess you should check it out.

12 hours ago, eviltechno said:

Customdoom has settings to make your heart beat at a certain amout of minimum health. It's actually a regen feature, but guess you should check it out.

Yeah just found that out today after finding CustomDooM. Basically have everything set up, I HIGHLY, HIGHLY, suggest that everyone give DarkDooMZ a shot along with the Dark DooM Texture Pack (textures only and textures/weapons and gameplay modifications), both give a really fun and intense experience. Thanks for the help guys.

There are better ways to get a darker atmosphere IMO, but the mods you mentioned are easy to set up. If you really only want doom3 style pitch black you are good to go.

33 minutes ago, eviltechno said:

There are better ways to get a darker atmosphere IMO, but the mods you mentioned are easy to set up. If you really only want doom3 style pitch black you are good to go.

There is a few settings that allow you to have a different I guess, volume of darkness. Though, there is MUCH better mods out there. But people who, like me, have garbage pc's, these are great mods to run with.

43 minutes ago, eviltechno said:

That's how I use to play. Most screens are made in Zandronum.  https://imgur.com/a/1MH4FUW

My hardware is decent though.

Guess disabling the fog and just keeping the light color settings will be fine on most rigs.

I don't even have a rig, I'm stuck with a older laptop (windows 8 generation) which can handle older games (the half life series and such).