Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jamie Faith

John Romero's head replacer???

Hey all, I was wondering, does anyone have a replacer for the Icon of Sin Spawner? Yoknow, the John Romero's head on a stick monster? I ask because I'm working on a megawad and I wanted to have demon spawners as just sort of regular boss type enemy (Like cyber demons) But instead of the monster being buried behind the whole icon of sin thing I could just have em right out in the open . Something like those eyes in the picture who be great. I check on the realm 667 repository and couldn't find anything so I'm hoping I'd have more luck asking here. 

Thanks for taking time out of your day to read this.

Eyes (1).png

Edited by Jamie Faith

Well, you could replace them with just about anything in graphical terms, but the main kicker is when you kill one (and they don't have that much health), your level will end moments later, whether there's one or one hundred.

You're aware of that, right?

Just now, Dark Pulse said:

Well, you could replace them with just about anything, but the main kicker is when you kill one (and they don't have that much health), your level will end moments later, whether there's one or one hundred.

You're aware of that, right?

No I was not! lol But now I am. Thanks for the tip. Is there anyway I could edit the monster so it doesn't end the map when its killed?

9 minutes ago, Jamie Faith said:

No I was not! lol But now I am. Thanks for the tip. Is there anyway I could edit the monster so it doesn't end the map when its killed?

You'd probably have to code up a new monster via DECORATE, and make it similar to the Boss Brain, but without the level-ending bits, and presumably, without the eternally-going explosions. Hopefully you're planning your WAD for something that has DECORATE support, as something like this is probably pretty impossible if you're trying to keep to vanilla/Boom.

Or in slightly more technical terms, you'll want a version of it that doesn't call A_BrainScream (because those explosions don't end) or A_BrainDie (because that's what actually exits the level).

For reference, here's how the Boss Brain "works" in DECORATE: https://zdoom.org/wiki/Classes:BossBrain

14 minutes ago, Dark Pulse said:

You'd probably have to code up a new monster via DECORATE, and make it similar to the Boss Brain, but without the level-ending bits, and presumably, without the eternally-going explosions. Hopefully you're planning your WAD for something that had DECORATE support, as something like this is probably pretty impossible if you're trying to keep to vanilla/Boom.

Or in slightly more technical terms, you'll want a version of it that doesn't call A_BrainScream (because those explosions don't end) or A_BrainDie (because that's what actually exits the level).

For reference, here's how the Boss Brain "works" in DECORATE: https://zdoom.org/wiki/Classes:BossBrain

No, I'm not trying to make it vanilla so that won't be an issue. Thanks for the info. I'm new to DECORATE (and modding in general. I barely know how to make maps lol) Know any good DECORATE tutorials? 

The Romero head is not what spawns those cubes.  It is what ends the map when it is killed.  The spawner is a separate invisible thing.

You can do what you want in vanilla I think, for whatever it’s worth. You’d just have to make the monster spawner have a visible, touchable and killable body, as it is it’s currently invisible and unshootable. I’ve never done this myself but I see no reason it wouldn’t work in Dehacked. When it comes to the Romero head, which as others have stated is actually a totally different object, you can simply have it’s death skip the action that summons a wall of explosions and ends the map. Again I haven’t tried this but it ought to work fine.

As Empyre indicates, the Romero head is irrelevant to what you're trying to do. The Romero head ("Boss Brain") is just a thing that ends the level when killed. (Incidentally, its dehacked codepointer can be transferred to other things, so you can do things like have the level end as soon as your pistol raises - see attachment.) You can have it on its own with no monster spawner. The spawner itself ("Boss Shooter") is actually invisible and invulnerable (it uses the SS Nazi sprite, technically). Again, you have it on its own with no Romero head. You'll need some other mechanism to end the level in that case (such as a switch). For it to spawn any monsters though, you need additional things, namely spawn spots. The Boss Shooter cannot be killed and will just continue to spit out monsters until the level ends (by whatever means).

PISUPEND.zip

Edited by Grazza

20 hours ago, Grazza said:

As Empyre indicates, the Romero head is irrelevant to what you're trying to do. The Romero head ("Boss Brain") is just a thing that ends the level when killed. (Incidentally, its dehacked codepointer can be transferred to other things, so you can do things like have the level end as soon as your pistol raises - see attachment.) You can have it on its own with no monster spawner. The spawner itself ("Boss Shooter") is actually invisible and invulnerable (it uses the SS Nazi sprite, technically). Again, you have it on its own with no Romero head. You'll need some other mechanism to end the level in that case (such as a switch). For it to spawn any monsters though, you need additional things, namely spawn spots. The Boss Shooter cannot be killed and will just continue to spit out monsters until the level ends (by whatever means).

PISUPEND.zip

Is there a way to make the Boss shooter killable?

20 hours ago, Rimantas said:

Stevie "KillCreek" Case's chest.

Sorry? I'm not sure what you're referring to? Google gives me nothing. Could I have a direct link? 

9 minutes ago, Jamie Faith said:

Sorry? I'm not sure what you're referring to? Google gives me nothing. Could I have a direct link? 

Stevie Case was Romero's girlfriend around that time when he was making Daikatana. She was famous for being female gamer, Romero hired her to Daikatana's dev. team. When Daikatana started to stink for bad advertise campaign and numerous delays, they asked Stevie to pose with Daikatana's screenshot for Playboy. I think you don't know how to use Google.

37 minutes ago, Jamie Faith said:

Yeah. Create any monsters which fires boss cubes.

Example here

1 hour ago, Rimantas said:

Stevie Case was Romero's girlfriend around that time when he was making Daikatana. She was famous for being female gamer, Romero hired her to Daikatana's dev. team. When Daikatana started to stink for bad advertise campaign and numerous delays, they asked Stevie to pose with Daikatana's screenshot for Playboy. I think you don't know how to use Google.

Uhhh What does that have do with this thread??? I assumed that was some kind of mod that had the monster I wanted in it so I googled it but never saw any mods. Anyway I think you posted this in the wrong thread. 

46 minutes ago, Đeⓧiaz said:

Yeah. Create any monsters which fires boss cubes.

Example here

Oh ok thanks!