Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Not Jabba

Not Jabba's Not the Cacowards Review Corner (Moonblood)

1 minute ago, DuckReconMajor said:

Oh my god playing this made me so happy. I spent like a minute petting the doggy

Me too!

Posted (edited)

We need more mods that are like Kill 'em With Kindness. 

Great review, too bad that this map never seen the light of an official release on idgames... thanks for digging out this great (in all senses) map!

Great reviews! Discovered many cool maps I missed somehow, thanks!

Posted (edited)

Thank you for the kind words and review of my maps, @Not Jabba. I'm always happy when people find some joy in my creations - especially the older stuff.

Thank you for the review, finding out the vanilla limits and how to get around them, and also working with the classic themes was really such a joy to work with at the time. Im glad some of that fun is present when people play the set

Much appreciated for an another review, Not Jabba! One thing I have to point out is that the link gives you the idgames page of Slaughterfest 3, instead of SlaughterMAX. Since the wad is not on idgames yet, I suggest you to link this thread on Doomworld. And for those who want to see the UV-Max playthrough of it, I actually recorded the viddump of my demo for the updated version a couple of days ago. Keep in mind that the amount of monsters is increased to 32k, and sorry about the lack of the background music; somehow, my -viddump parameter on PrBoom+ doesn't record the music for some reason:

Spoiler

Black Room by @Paul977

9NZU9pE.pngK9TTMPO.pngGrDltpM.png

Ever since Paul977 debuted in 2017 with Disciples of Darkness, a set of four tightly balanced gauntlet maps backed by chill midis, he has been taking large sheafs out of Death-Destiny's playtome of aesthetic and combat flair. Other influences -- Malcom Sailor, Erik Alm -- are weaved into his choruses of violence, but D-D looms above all as the conductor in spirit. Imitation so brazen is bold. Fail, and the work will be looked on by future generations with a matronly air of 'ahh cute; rough but everyone has to start somewhere!' But Paul977 does not fail. While D-D was a visionary, his polish left room for improvement: on the visual front, rough concourse; on the gameplay front, occasionally common 'harsh gotchas the first time, simple escape-and-wins thereafter'. And with 10 additional years of models to draw from, the bar has been raised for everyone. So here we are.

Rare exceptions aside, the Difficult Maps industry has generally disavowed the bright, cheery techbases of Doom 1 descent. Instead, we're much more likely to see 'darkbases' -- the familiar assets and furnishings bent into familar shapes, but with a grimy underbelly, a broken heart. The 2010s has fallen in love with color coding, and Black Room's signature highlight is blue, offset by black and brown and occasional white. Inside, monster placement is guided as much by function as an artful touch. No deployment is taken for granted; there is a joyous mix of closets, within-map warps, traditional teleports, and pop-ups; monsters facing you, monsters deigning you with their waggling posteriors; monsters active, monsters frozen; surprises, cards laid on the table. A defining quality of Black Room's pace is the freedom to set your own. Take each fragment as you're given, and at times under the midi whistle, trekking through silence or fighting a lone monster, the mood is downright soothing. But the typical fight has a lot of give to it. Tough, but often manageable. Tidy, and often sparse. Coming to understand the inner workings of an area gives the freedom to melt two or sometimes more pieces together to your advantage. Escape is gated but not barred, so those brave enough to leave cybies alive can skip cleanup and come back with a BFG. Though not a truly great map -- that called for a memorable showpiece fight or two, a more fully realized (perhaps Elysion-like) setting with greater visual variety, and some other X-factor -- it certainly is a good one. Difficulty settings included, play on UV at your own risk, see your doctor immediately if midi loops for more than four hours. 

Edited by rdwpa

Thanks a lot for the awesome review and pics, Not Jabba! :)

I'm glad that you've enjoyed both Moonblood and Exomoon!

Both wads ended being targeted to specfic playerbase (especially Moonblood), which I hope I can expand in my next works.