Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alfonzo

The DWIronman League dies to: Fomalhaut

That's right. We occasionally single out a massive level or a two to sharpen the focus. They've proven to be quite popular over the course of the League's history.

Threnody in its entirety runs for about 5 hours at a bare minimum for the average player, which is sitting right on the limit of what most people are prepared to handle (granted we've accepted the save/load practice; most prefer to tough it out in one go). That length doesn't necessarily rule it out, but it does open the door for compromise if I can find it. This is a great way to shine a spotlight on the set without creating an uncomfortably difficult run.

Edited by Alfonzo

I Want to see how would it turn out to survive Citadel at the Edge of Eternity someday.

I may give a try to this, seems like a fun challenge

It sure is a big map with some surprises, after all there's over 900 enemies, it's probably huge although some traps seem to have larger enemy waves.

Oh yeah, I've actually just done my run, I have some free time today to do other things. Cat. 1 GlBoom+ 2.5.1.5. I must admit that this is probably my best Ironman run to this day, followed by 50 Monsters if I'm not mistaken, I think that was one of my better runs. Managed to kill a little over 300 enemies and could've possibly made quite a bit more progress, but I was low on health and an enemy wave eventually got me (lucky AF Cacodemon, you'll see what I mean in the demo).

All in all, I'm somewhat satisfied with my performance. Yes, it does bother me a bit that I died where I did, I KNOW I could've done better there especially if I had a little bit more health. Also damned -longtics, I just love how that command works while recording demos but only when it's in the mood.

Come hell and high water, enjoy the show and good luck. Much better than last month's pick by the way.

seedtntthrenody.zip

Edited by seed

IronManTHTMAP10.zip 

[1] Here is my try, actually an FDA. Never played THT before, I should give it a try when I have some time.

Stupid death by spectres, only got 2 secrets and the blue key.

EDIT watched the demo again, here are the stats:
169 kills
2 secrets
61 items

Edited by DJVCardMaster

TNT isn't required to play this. The .txt file even includes this as an example of how to run it:

How To Run The File    : Anyway you prefer, like:
                                  "prboom.exe -iwad doom2.wad -file thtthren.wad"

17 minutes ago, SiFi270 said:

TNT isn't required to play this. The .txt file even includes this as an example of how to run it:

It did seem to use textures from TNT though, such as the skybox. Or were those included in the megawad already or something?

....Hold on, I actually SURVIVED an ironman wad for once?!?

Yes folks, that's true.  Got 100% kills & secrets in 1:11:24.  Some tricksy traps, but nothing too insane.  Kinda wish that SSG came in much earlier though.

Oh well, I didn't die in a dumb manner for once and I couldn't be happier, heh.

DWIronman_thtthren_AnimaZero.zip

15 minutes ago, seed said:

It did seem to use textures from TNT though, such as the skybox. Or were those included in the megawad already or something?

Yea it is included

Also love Mek maps, especially he masterful stock tex usage, so I'll try to record for this one :)

Edited by Catpho

Dead with 290 kills, i used gzdoom with compflags, cat 1

Spoiler

Died in a really dumb way since i was getting pestered by a pair of chaingunners and got myself cornered, by the time i realized i should had switched to the rocket launcher it was too late, im kinda mad about it since i was really enjoying the map so far :(

Man I remember playing this map back in my playthrough of THT:Threnody, especially for it's hidden (and rather touching) Ty Halderman tribute.

Should be fun to revisit this map for an Ironman.

Category 2. I playtested this level during the development of THT:Threnody, and this was one of the best levels from the wad. For your information, this level was also selected as one of the Top 100 Most Memorable Doom Maps. 

Survived with 46:20 in-game time. Missed one monster, three items, and three secret areas.

dwironman_anta_fomalhaut.zip

2 hours ago, Anima Zero said:

SURVIVED an ironman wad for once?!?

Mmm, I'm still waiting for the day I survive an Ironman, but given the nature of the wads or levels that are being chosen for runs... very unlikely. And then, I died very early in Plutonia, had a perfect chance to prove myself there and it went to waste completely :(.

Now that I think about it, I'm still really mad about my death in Plutonia, can't really forgive myself for dying a horrible death there. It made me look at myself as a pathetic player. I'm capable of finishing considerably more difficult wads nowadays and I'm still dying on easier ones... it's absolutely laughable at best.

At least I'm no longer bitching so damn hard about it anymore lol.

2 minutes ago, seed said:

I'm still really mad about my death in Plutonia

Ditto!

It feels weird that I haven't survived anything since December 2017, particularly because I was mostly on pace and good results. My run will likely be done tomorrow or in the next three hours.

Just now, NaZa said:

It feels weird that I haven't survived anything since December 2017, particularly because I was mostly on pace and good results.

How about never surviving anything. Oh well, I should get used to it.

47999-full.png

3 hours ago, SiFi270 said:

Oh, wow, I've been loading it with TNT from day one and never bothered to check this part of the text file because I thought it'd be so obvious, what with the pun in the title and all. Thank goodness it's boom, I guess!

SURVIVED: 50:53 (Cat 1)

prboom-plus.exe -iwad tnt.wad -file .\thtthren.wad -complevel 9 -warp 10 -skill 4 -record noisy_fomalhaut.lmp -nomusic

I couldn't find the red skull key so i parkoured to the exit; probably unintended.

:^)     I'm just glad it didn't DNF me like some other attempts.

cool map.  I found the bfg, tried sniffing out some other secrets here and there.

Also, I think this is my second survived mapset, after Warlock's Hearth!!! woohooo!

doom00.png.9579ffef68861c5f08c05e5ecc775f47.png

Rest in peace, Ty...

RESULT: SURVIVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (52:22)

CATEGORY: 1

HAPPY? Of course!

It has FINALLY happened! I only had to wait 14 months for it, probably longest drought between successive survivals in the history of the League! It was a very stressful map... I don't know where I found the courage to just push it at the end! I had a few near death experiences, such as being shocked by a teleporting horde and falling from 200/100 to 54/12 or something... luckily in the end I managed to come through and win! If I hadn't wasted time on finding the remaining monsters at the end, I could've finished five minutes sooner, but it would have been MUCH more stressful. I'm happy for this.

Disclaimer: I played it with the TNT IWAD, I hope it's not a problem...

The demo on which this survival is forever commemorated is dw[...]feb19b. The other demo is a 2 minutes 48 demo of -complevel 4 myself, that I included because I asked Alfonzo on whether I can record another one (luckily noticing my complevel flaw quite early, only having killed 25 or so monsters).

dwironman_naza_feb19.zip

Edited by NaZa

https://www.mediafire.com/file/dbb6am41xdug5w0/DWIronman_thtthren10_JudgeDeadd-1.lmp/file

Dead! Should have gone back for health instead of going for the yellow key right away. I got impatient and figured that after that caco fight, there's no way there'll be another trap by the key itself, right?

Category 1, Blind. Died with a score of 290 kills. Huh, I guess that's not that bad. Should get me a moderately high spo--

(sees everyone else and their dog surviving the map with no problems)

Oh come ON!

10 hours ago, JudgeDeadd said:

(sees everyone else and their dog surviving the map with no problems)

Oh come ON!

I should open a club for people like us :D.

Here goes my pathetic attempt for this month... Cat.3, 273 monsters killed at 13m 19 seconds. And I also streamed but....never again doing streams for these sessions from now on. Looks like I get a fucking curse or something.

Demo: dw_ironman_thtfomalhautld85.zip

Edit: I tried playing that same map casually and THIS is the result. Once again, with same rules. I'm done....

gJmt9Zl.png

Edited by leodoom85

Name of this map should be "Mood Killer". Easy to get lost, super easy to get in to impossible fights, but easiest is to get annoyed and pissed. However i will keep playing it on UV without saves until i'll beat it.