Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alfonzo

The DWIronman League dies to: Fomalhaut

1 hour ago, Rimantas said:

Name of this map should be "Mood Killer". Easy to get lost, super easy to get in to impossible fights, but easiest is to get annoyed and pissed. However i will keep playing it on UV without saves until i'll beat it.

Despite being a complex map in it's layout, it's not easy to get lost. The fights were well done to adjust your skill depending of what decisions you took and that's a major thing to consider while you play that map...

You see that pic of mine in that comment? That was the third time that I played that map. No need to do it a lot of times unless you're less skilled than me ;)

I also found it tricky at best, at least up until where I died, but not difficult. I mean, I've been destroyed in so, so much more painful ways in other megawads and levels I've played... 

It can get a bit confusing however, I spent a while running around the outside area and inside the base until I eventually found the way.

Cat 3 I think. I watched the first minute or so of someone else play it before starting, so I only knew the first encounter. I also forgot to turn off Jump and Crouch until partway through. I tested to see if it worked by jumping in place, then turned both off.

235 enemies killed.

1 hour ago, leodoom85 said:

Despite being a complex map in it's layout, it's not easy to get lost. The fights were well done to adjust your skill depending of what decisions you took and that's a major thing to consider while you play that map...

You see that pic of mine in that comment? That was the third time that I played that map. No need to do it a lot of times unless you're less skilled than me ;)

Sure, YOU're the best! I had played much harder map than this, but with saves. Most often i fail because i get tempted to make big infights. Now i have no problems with this map, just died two times in area where few mancubus are behind bars and too many enemies are coming from everywhere. I guess i will need to save game before that button.

1 hour ago, Rimantas said:

just died two times in area where few mancubus are behind bars and too many enemies are coming from everywhere. 

Same actually when I practiced.

Heh

Dead, Cat 2. I intended to complete Formalhaut a long time ago but a lot of things stood in the way for a while, mostly because I forgot to return to it, plus Mek maps are monstrous in length. This thread gave me a good reason to finally finish it, and I died in a secret room.

What a story :))))))

(and no wall of text because spending more time on this map is better)

Recorded with Eternity: dwironmancatfeb19.zip

Survived with a slow-ass time of 1:00:24. dwironman_alfnz_32.zip

Like NaZa this is the first survival since December of 2017 but I'm somehow still disappointed because of how horribly I lost the plot near the end:

Spoiler

I realized soon after triggering the RSK fight that I didn't have to contend with the fresh horde that had spawned in; that I could take the low road to access the RSK door and get a comfortable exit time of ~50 minutes. This was a smart moment, but as usual it would quickly be followed by one with great gormlessness. I forgot that you had to re-flip the RK switch to raise the bridge a second time, and so while I stood there at the pass wondering why the map wasn't guiding me into the exit like an air traffic controller holding red paddles, the horde caught up to me. My intuition had tripped up over itself and made a dire situation out of thin air.

With no ammo and even fewer ideas as to what I was supposed to do I stumbled my way deep into the old complex to pick off cacodemons and demons with my chainsaw for 5 minutes. What a shit-show! Well done, me.

Should have exited 10 minutes sooner.

Still, can't complain! Got some much-needed green on the board.

By the way, -longtics is a godsend. I don't know why I haven't been using it until now. It's given me a new lease of competence in demo recording. Emphasis on competence.

Edited by Alfonzo

1 hour ago, Alfonzo said:

By the way, -longtics is a godsend. I don't know why I haven't been using it until now. It's given me a new lease of competence in demo recording. Emphasis on competence.

With pleasure :p .

It's a bit annoying that it only works when it wants to however. Sometimes when I record my runs it works just fine, sometimes it doesn't work at all.

3 hours ago, seed said:

With pleasure :p .

It's a bit annoying that it only works when it wants to however. Sometimes when I record my runs it works just fine, sometimes it doesn't work at all.

-longtics doesn't work while recording demos in the Boom and MBF formats for unclear reasons. It does work in the vanilla formats, as well as complevel -1 which has it on by default. 

5 hours ago, Alfonzo said:

You were competent all along, just needed the placebo to believe it.

Thank you Alfonzo.

I'm not the slowest survivor anymore. :)

35 minutes ago, rdwpa said:

If the entire purpose of complevels is to be backwards compatible with older ports (or as close to it as is reasonably achievable) then it makes sense that you shouldn't allow it to create lmps that cannot be played back with the port it's imitating (in this case boom 2.02, which only reads/writes 4-byte turns). The rallying around specific complevels as a set of intended features and behaviors, instead of its intended role of "I want to play back and record things that will work with Dead Port X", is actually kind of unfortunate as there are lots of little imperfections and personal preferences that no existing complevel ticks every box on (e.g. my personal dream would be a prb-specific "complevel" that has: cl9 infighting and RNG, ability to save/reload during a demo without exiting the game, cl2 ledge behavior, maybe a few other things). In an ideal fantasy world, I envision a prb+-like port where all compatibility features are externalized as variables that could be set in a demo header.

12 minutes ago, Ribbiks said:

cl2 ledge behavior

What is this thing?

2 hours ago, Roofi said:

Thank you Alfonzo.

I'm not the slowest survivor anymore. :)

Anima needed 1:11:24 so you were never the slowest. :)

Edit @Catpho I tried running your demo in Eternity and prBoom, in prBoom it gives me an unknown file header 255 warning, and in Eternity the demo seems haphazard with pauses, jumping and shooting in place.

4 hours ago, seed said:

What is this thing?

You can't knock things off ledges in cl2, but you can in cl9. Evidently this is a result of making scrolling floors work in Boom. If you want ledges in boom to behave like cl2, you need to use monsterblock linedefs, but the problem is that those will then also get in the way of flyers like cacos.

After many replays, finally i lived through whole map without saves on UV. I ran out of ammo at end, that's why not 100% kills. I used chainsaw to kill revenant in exit room. Time should be little more than 1:30. I'm fresh meat for maps like this.

etrn00.png

Spoiler

Careless mistake got me in the end... I might have done better if I didn't get lost for so long as I got pretty impatient at the end. I did find a skip though (assuming the exit door doesn't open via switch) so that's neat.

538 kills

Demo

Hell yeah! Graphs and shit! I love graphs.

Looks like you've shaken up the format, too, which makes sense what with the new players. Can we start making purchases on merchandise, soon?

I mean if there was actual interest in it, sure; all profits could go into a prize pool (which I'm not looking likely to win at this point) for the britbowlers! :P

Some of you may've read before that Evilution was the first Doom game I ever played and remains the most beloved WAD of mine.

I dedicate this month's entry to TeamTNT and @Ty Halderman. Thank you guys for all.

Prepared survival UV-Max of Fomalhaut.

Category III (all past the red keycard is first try though), 48:57, 935/935 K, 9/9 S, 187/188 I (I double dare you, little bitchy health bonus, for spoiling all my stats).

Some of you may've noticed that I've never committed prepared runs before, neither survive any of it (lol). So this submission is rather uncommon to see from Vince, but way more common for me as my "classic" style of playing Doom is single-map UV-Max runs.

Unfortunately, original Boom 2.02 couldn't handle MAP10, but windowed PrBoom+ with "classic" 35 FPS and 4x upscaled 320x240 have "simulated" it rather well.

The last 4 minutes of demo is a shame: run out of all ammo, run around the [WRONG places of] map to find any, get back to the beginning for chainsaw, grab the rest Baker's dozen o'fuckers, press Space to win. Yep, I'm definitely not Vince Veinen (at least for now).

Regarding the level itself, it's incredibly far more TNTish than all the "renaissances" and "revilutions" around in sum, from level design to music track. And that's simply beautiful. I love you, @Mechadon.

And Threnody seems to me the best and the only possible straight Evilution sequel. I was disappointed back in 2016 when it was released not as full 32/33 megawad, but with only 20 maps, and had missed the Cacoward statuette, hitting only Runners Up table. That would be the dream.

(a kind of symbolism: if you play Fomalhaut with TNT IWAD, automap names it "Redemption")

dwithren.zip

A category 1 run, totally blind, played neither this map nor the wad before... and I beat it first try, joining the big group of ironmen surviving this map. 900 monsters killed out of 935, 2/3 of the secrets found, and I took my time with a run of 1h11min24sec. There are a few close calls and I could have died right at the beginning of the map, but I survived and got to the exit.

This is a great map that I really enjoyed playing it. Love the non-linearity, the exploration and... scavenging for ammo. Yes, ammo was quite tight and the secrets came in handy with the extra ammo.

File : Malrionn_DWIronman_Fomalhaut.zip

I don't do Ironman anymore but I love Fomalhaut, not overly challenging, generous with health and ammo provided you get the secrets but they're not so difficult to figure out imo, no archviles, big, atmospheric, and accompanied by the best Alfonzo MIDI (imo), so I figured I'd give it a go, long time since I played.

Dead with 906/979 - pretty annoyed tbh, could've (should've) gone all the way with a sub-hour time but... I have no idea how the fuck this happened - feels like really poor luck that both of those revs attacked at the same time leaving me no way to redirect the route I was trying to take. Oh well, a solid reminder why I don't do these anymore. Besides, can't complain too much, check out 16:55 - getting through that was the true highlight of the run.

Category 1, a blind run wich ended in death and regret, never played this megawad before, but playing this map for an ironman run got me hooked, l love this level design, except for a couple of "missaligned" big door textures wich seems out of place.

THT_Ironman_run..zip 

Jeez, did my run over a week ago but forgot to post here.

Spoiler

Anyways, survived in 58:41 with 80% kills. Stream died about half-way through so the video is split up into two different parts, sorry!

This is one of my favourite maps ever. Great midi, great atmosphere, great gameplay set-ups.

On to you, fellow Brit-bowlers!

@NaZa I wonder if menu-pasuing frequently causes desyncs (cause I did that lot)? If that isn't the case, I'm really stump on the issue of my recent broken demos :/

1 hour ago, Catpho said:

@NaZa I wonder if menu-pasuing frequently causes desyncs (cause I did that lot)? If that isn't the case, I'm really stump on the issue of my recent broken demos :/

If eternity records demos the same way GZDoom does then yes, menu pausing as well as saving or loading can cause desyncs. If you wanna be on the safe side with menu pausing, GLBoom+ or PrBoom+ are the exes that won't mess this up because both quite literally "freeze" the game while you're in the menu (Unless you play multiplayer).

If you wanna test whether or not pausing is a problem, try playing back your own demos, and see if they desync for you as well. In case they do: Either use a different port, or avoid pausing the game entirely, because those are the only safe and sound ways to work around these problems.