Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Fuzzball

Abyssal Speedmapping Session 44 - A warm ass is a happy ass!

3 minutes ago, Fuzzball said:

10pm GMT or 7PM Eastern Standard Time on Saturday the 16th!

Is that 10 PM GMT (5 PM American EST) or midnight GMT (7 PM American EST)?

Because Eastern Standard Time is GMT-5.

Just need to check, because that's a little confusing.

ohno I just copied the time from the old thread so I didn't know if there was a difference? It's the same as it was last time basically

Glad to see you take the wheel Fuzz; I'm sure you'll do just fine as our new host!

I'd like to say a huge thanks to Obsidian for all his efforts running the previous sessions; it's been a blast hanging out with you and the rest of the regular ASS crew. Good luck in your future endeavours buddy! :)

I discovered that this is a thing just now when I stumbled across a YouTube video someone uploaded of an ASS session (ahem) with voice chat in 2015.

Kinda excited to give this a go. I need to learn speed in my level design. I have a decent understanding of vanilla Doom editing, but I've never finished anything worth releasing because I let myself get bogged down with details.

Sorry- I have a lot of questions. Hope you don't mind if I present them in bullets...

• As a UK resident, I'm still confused about the time, but I'm guessing that since it was 7PM EST last month, it'll be midnight GMT?
  • Am I right in understanding that you get two hours to make the map from scratch?
  • With additional 15 minutes for testing/fixing?
  • I notice the themes are finalised shortly before the start time. How much time is there for pre-planning?
  • What are the rules relating to the texture pack? Are we required to use all the textures in the pack?
  • Are we allowed to use other textures beside the pack?

Thanks folks! :)

@LordEntr0py - Fresh blood!

To give you a helping hand / some tips:

• Whatever idea you get early on just go for it and roll with it, I perform better when I worry less about trying to make something spectacular and just roll with the initial idea(s) I have.
  • If you can, hop on the voice chat (on discord); it's often a good laugh and people will be happy to help answer any editing questions you have on the fly.
  • You essentially get 2 hours, but it generally takes about 3 overall
    • join 30 mins before the session for idle chat. 15 mins at the start of the session is allocated for resource gathering such as textures or music (unless they've been preselected, which the textures have this time), then you get 15 mins after for bugfixing, compiling, and submitting the map. 
  • Unless the theme specifies you have to work with a specific limitation, you can do whatever you want (including using all textures, if you really want to)
  • Unless fuzzball says so in this case, no, you can't use other texture packs. OTEX is pretty all-encompassing and it'd do you some good to maybe work with it a little bit or at least browse the pack before the session.

Oh, and it's 10pm UK time as in the OP :)

1 hour ago, Dragonfly said:

@LordEntr0py - Fresh blood!

Oh, and it's 10pm UK time as in the OP :)

Thanks for the welcome! And especially thanks for the advice. I'm going to privately attempt last month's challenge tonight to give myself a taster.

I'm not as speedy as the guy I watched in the stream (partly because my laptop lacks the graphical power to perform well in visual mode) but it'll be interesting to see what I can put together.

The confusion over the time comes from the fact that the OP said 7pm EST/10pm GMT -- but 7pm EST is actually 12am GMT. Since OP said it's the same as last month, I think that makes it 12am.

@Fuzzball

The maps will have to use OTEX, that much is obvious from the OP. But is that going to be the only rule? Or will there be an additional theme or additional themes that the maps have to meet (e.g., flying monsters only, mandatory archvile jumps, chainsaw only)?

Discord link is apparently still the same as the post above so I won't repost!

But you have just over 6 hours to go till the event starts everybody! :D

ONE HOUR TO GO!!!

I know I keep saying but PLEASE get Otex if you haven't already- I don't want anybody coming to me with a map full of vanilla textures going "But I didn't know this!!" :V

As promised here are the potential themes for this month's session!

ASS 44 themes-
1) Maps contain no "USE" linedef actions- Walkover or Gunshot only.
2) Extreme sector height difference- no flat Wolfenstein maps here!
3) Main "Hub" area that expands throughout the map.
4) "The Twins"- Enemies come in twos...even boss monsters!
5) Optimistic Brutalism- who says concrete can't be colourful! Blocky shapes, big oposing rooms- but don't make it dank and depressing~
6) "No going back!" Drops higher than 128 units become inaccessible.
7) Platforms galore! Gratuitous lifts and moving floors.
8) "Terrible Twosome" Two types of monsters, two weapons (be mindful of weapon drops!) and two kinds of pickups. Oh and no more than two keys.
9) All ceiling flats must be F_SKY
10) Traversing the rooms can only be done via Teleporting.

In one hour one of these will be randomly chosen and the session will be begin- get your butt to the Discord server if you so desire~

I honestly kinda wanna see all of them, haha.

Best of luck to all participants! Can't wait for more quality Otex maps.

Btw as a surprise I am changing the rules just a smidge! ;D

Todays themes are...

Number 5!!

Optimistic Brutalism- who says concrete can't be colourful! Blocky shapes, big opposing rooms- but don't make it dank and depressing~

Number 10!!

Traversing rooms can only be done via Teleporting.

You can do either or both of these but one must be chosen!

Bonus optional theme!

Pick a colour and stick to it! For your textures or keys and even the sky!

You have 2 hours from now to make your map!! Remember to save on a regular basis!!

You can only use OTEX textures, NO vanilla ones for this month, there are plenty in the set to satisfy your needs~
Make sure it's nice and colourful, and pick a good upbeat midi too- no dark depressing stuff- let's make it fun! :D

As usual maps are to be in BOOM format- which the pack fully supports so don't worry!

Well they were themes not rules- 5 and 10 were picked- you can still use raising and lowering floors if you want!

MAPPING TIME IS kinda OVER!!

You have 15 mins to test and then please post your maps- if you need to take another 10 mins or something then its okay, I'm not too strict so long as it's posted!! :)

6JcT05k.png

asses high.zip

Title: Bubblegum Crisis

Build time: 1 hour and 35 minutes, plus 10 minutes for bugfixing and finding a upbeat midi

Theme: Traversing room via teleport

Music: Limp Blizkit - My Generation (Dial-up for murder midi remix)

Edited by Walter confetti

1 hour ago, Walter confetti said:

6JcT05k.png

asses high.zip

Title: Bubblegum Crisis

Build time: 1 hour and 35 minutes, plus 10 minutes for bugfixing and finding a upbeat midi

Theme: Traversing room via teleport

Music: Limp Blizkit - My Generation (Dial-up for murder midi remix)

Just played it. One of the most normal-looking ones, and it's got a whole bunch of nice little details too! Not really challenging, but fun to play.

Here is a demo (not an FDA though) of @LordEntr0py's map. I accidentally discovered a skip that allows you to avoid having to press a switch in another part of the map so instead of taking the time to kill everything I went into speedrunner mode and tried to optimize the heck out of it :D The execution isn't perfect but I was getting annoyed with getting blocked by all the lost souls (Im honestly wondering if @LordEntr0py put them there specifically to stop people form doing that skip), luckily since this map is really short and takes less than 20 seconds to beat it so I didn't get too frustrated.

trumped.zip

The second session will start in 3 hours! Due to time constraints I'll be hosting it an hour earlier than promised, hope this doesn't come as a shock. I'll allow latecomers an extra hour if they desire.

I also won't be mapping for this session either, because I have other things going on today as well, and have been having mystifying technical difficulties with both GZDB and DBX.