Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SirJuicyLemon

What were your first Doom impressions?

97 or 98, was round my step dad's flat and I played PSX Doom. I fell in love with it ever since. When I got around to playing the original PC versions a while later I was a little disappointed that the SFX were different and the atmosphere wasn't as intense.

I think I was about 3 maybe 4 and was watching my dad play the PS1 variant at our old house (I've lived in my current house since the millennium because I remember a magazine about it, really, so this was YEARS ago), all I remember really was a Baron of Hell fight (MAP08?) and coining them as "snotty monsters" (because green fireballs).

PSX Doom has been in my life ever since, still called em snotty monsters till I learned how to read and figured out they were called barons. 

Watching the demos of E1M5, E1M3 and E1M7 of the Doom shareware after the at-the-time terrifying title screen with its dreadful music cue and hearing the timeless and sinister sounding music of those levels in the demos, and seeing the Doomguy's face getting bloodier at lower health, and the possessed humans and Imps collapsing into bloody heaps from the repeated blasts of a pump-action shotgun, gave me the impression that this game was far more violent and scary than Hexen was. Somehow it was just more disturbing and realistic than anything I'd seen at the time in a video game.

I had zero experience with FPS games when I first ever saw Doom (and I was like 5 or 6) and I remember thinking the pistol was actually the back of a guy's head.

I don't remember what the fuck I thought the shotgun was. I just remember it didn't click for me that I'm viewing it from 'my eyes' and its my hand holding a gun.

I do remember loving the fuck out of it, though.

1. Why are the item pickup sounds so underwhelming? They're not cool like wolfenstein 3D's :( This game is lame.

2. Why is it so dark? I can't see shit. This sucks.

3. This game is too jerky. This sucks.

4. The people shooting at me are so boring. They look bad and their bullets only do ten damage? This is so stupid. Wolfenstein 3D looks better and is so much more realistic. 

5. Whoah, that scary monster is hurling fireballs at me! Dang, he's way up high. I can't get him!

6. Ugh, why is the ground hurting me.

some time later

Whoah, the shotgun is kinda cool! It reloads and everything.Whoah, the dude just fell down the stairs! That's so cool!

Hahaha! That barrel blew that guy up into a gob of guts and goo! So cool!

Whoah, those demons are unlike anything I've ever seen! Way cooler than Wolfenstein! My friend says they can't be killed with a pistol, but I don't believe him.

It looks so cool outside, how do I get outside?

I really want to get the chainsaw in that room. My friend says you need to shoot a wall in the dark maze to get the chainsaw.

Whoah, a bridge is rising! That's so cool!

Whoah, I found a super cool secret!

Whoah, the music is so cool!

Whoah, this secret is crazy!

Whoah, the rocket launcher hurts you if you're too close! That's so realistic!

Edited by Hellbent