Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Red-XIII

Do you still have your very first map?

12 hours ago, Eris Falling said:

Funnily enough I don't, but @Aquila Chrysaetos does. My first map was the old MAP07 of Doom 2 In Name Only, and it was present in the original alpha release which Aquila has for some reason 1.0I haven't played it since whenever I took it out of the project, so I guess that's about 6 years. Should have kept it in with mouldy's tune-ups tbh.

D2INO_BR_edit_area_at_2019.02.06_08-36-3

I sure do. I downloaded the very first beta release of D2INO around '13, I think, as I'd been following it for a while.

2071371191_Screenshot(48).png.9e8eadd55d89d13caf5e1fe99c5a6388.png

My first complete map isn't necessarily bad, but the issue was I used assets from someone else's wad, so I could never really release it. You can run it properly if the BYHAE.pk3 was loaded with this.

50 minutes ago, Royal_Sir said:

My first complete map isn't necessarily bad, but the issue was I used assets from someone else's wad, so I could never really release it. You can run it properly if the BYHAE.pk3 was loaded with this.

If that was my map I'd be tempted to use Gzdoom Builder's find and replace mode to swap out the textures from the other wad for either new textures or vanilla ones. Might take a bit of resource management depending on if it' a vanilla map or not and how many textures need changing. I've done that a few times, that' for sure. One time I decided to change a pile of texture names in my map so that they would be easier to find. My naming scheme for textures used to be pretty senseless. ;)

My earliest map in it's original form at 90% completion ended up on a 120 mb super-disk that I no longer have the means to read  :(   However it ended up as map03 of Endgame so all is not lost.   The maps that were released before that are still on idgames.   I found the earliest surviving versions of my first map; roughly 40% completed. 

Tunnel6E.zip

I sure do.

vaE9bvf.png

To be fair, it was just me learning the basics of Doom Builder, and I never thought it was good or anyhting.

Now, this was my first attempt at making a "real" map (god, looking at it brings back some memories):

ORi8H7b.png

I stopped working on it after a while, as I wasn't happy with how it was turning out.

On 2/6/2019 at 6:40 AM, riderr3 said:

No, but I've spent couple of minutes to recreate it, because I remember 95% of map. 

Decided to recreate my first map for shits & giggles. I say this is possibly 75% accurate-ish.

Dy0sqVkV4AAvyYw.jpg

my first map was an attempt to recreate Resident evil 1 in doom. it was horrible due to the lack of experience. maybe I will give it a shot again sometime. I do not have it anymore, but I am not sad about it :D

My first maps are when I was learning in DEU and nothing must have survived. They were drawing big squary non convex sectors, didn't know how to make a door, didn't split sectors much or make height variations, just filled it with random enemies. I was also doing one where I have put so many enemies (back in time I had a 486 even) that the sprites started disappearing depending on where you look (the limit in the code of how many max sprites to display at one frame).

My oldest survived maps must be in that awful wad TsotsoFX https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom/s-u/tsotsofx

Those are made in different periods back in 1996 I think and all put together.