Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Plyte

keyboard dooming

i'm a keyboarding doomer. and used to be not to shabby (about when 486's ruled the world with a huge processing speed of 33Mhz) . but i have brought a new computer and now have big problems because i can no longer simultainiously press 'SHIFT+ALT+CTRL+FORWARD+RIGHT'. well i can but i don't go where i want to go. does anybody know what i mean? i need help.
so now i'm trying to learn with a mouse, but could take a while.
see ya's

hee hee, i've always been a keyboard doomer. everyonceinawhile ill use the mouse (sniping is fun) but I dunno what you mean

I still am a keyboard doomer! (good old QAOP...)

The mouse rules on everything from Quake 2 onwards, though.

ravage: what he means is that he has trouble with keyboard clashes on newer systems.

Plyte: what you could do is find an equivalent set of keys elsewhere on the keyboard. There was a poll on the ZDoom forums about what keys people used, and a few mentioned ASWD (which has the same formation as the arrow keys), so maybe trying something like that might help.

i'm both i use the keyboard in single player and coop in deathmatch i use the mouse

I use a keyboard in vanilla and a mouse for the source ports. Not quite sure why, but playing vanilla doom with a mouse doesn't feel 'right'.

Cheap-ass keyboards have a problem with pressing those keys simlutaneously. Go get a nice keyboard from logitech or micro$haft. Stange, my 20 dollar CompUSA board is actually fairly responsive and doesn't have these issues.

I have a similar problem, if I press forward, left and ctrl at the same time I will go forward and fire but not turn. It works fine with the right key though. I still use the standard key setup, because it doesn't interfere with the game as often as you'd think.

your probably right about my keyboard i think it cost about $20(Aust).
and the only thing the manufactures could clam on the box was 'super slim'. Yep no cost was to great for that keybord. Thanx for the tip.
see ya's.
and i'll try not to start any more stupid threads, ok.

I sometimes think I must be the only person ever who plays useing gamepad, namely an old Gravis Gamepad Pro, who's PSX controller format just seems to work for me on old DOS games (if I can get it to support it). Of course not having mlook is a bit of a problem.

For newer games, I've flirted with freelook mouse and WASD, with mouse buttons for fire etc, but as I mostly play old games I haven't mastered it yet.

I used to be a keyboarder until 2 things happened:

1. I got used to the mouse as a necessity (IMO) for Quake II

2. MS stuck that stupid Windows key in between my fire and strafe buttons. Does anyone actually use that key?

I'm a keyboarder and the windows key between the shoot and strafe one doesn't bother me because I never strafe (cyberdemons do though).

I have never used it, but I thought it was "joyb_speed 31".
that windows key is only useful when a program crashes... so now you see why MS thinks it is important. =P
Several of the best Doomers ever are/were keyboarders. Fingers of Legend! =P

Plyte said:

and i'll try not to start any more stupid threads, ok.

It could be a lot worse - this thread isn't so bad except that it would fit better in the Questions forum imho.

DEMOn said:

I have never used it, but I thought it was "joyb_speed 31".

I've never used it either; I was quoting from Adam Hegyi and Waldon's posts in the thread I mentioned.

BTW, the Windows key can be disabled. I would give a link, but it depends on your operating system. An Altavista search for "disable near windows key" will do the trick.

Enjay said:

MS stuck that stupid Windows key in between my fire and strafe buttons.

Yep, the ammount of times i've accidently hit that ****ing key and been dumped out of doom....

In the end I got a knife and levered the key out and threw it away.

I used to be a keyboard Doomer. You know, back before source ports. I first decided to start using the mouse when I played Deathmatch with some friends who had NEVER played Doom before and completely chewed me up because they were used to other games like UT or Quake or, I don't know, whatever other games non-Doomies play. =D
When I play at school, the keyboards there have the problem with pressing too many keys at the same time, so it's a good thing I use the mouse now.

Grazza said:

BTW, the Windows key can be disabled. I would give a link, but it depends on your operating system. An Altavista search for "disable near windows key" will do the trick.

Russell_P said:

In the end I got a knife and levered the key out and threw it away.

:-)

I've no need to disable the key anymore.

Fire these days is main mouse button, and strafe is done via the arrow keys (using the mouse movement to turn).

Enjay said:

Fire these days is main mouse button, and strafe is done via the arrow keys (using the mouse movement to turn).

I use that configuration too, but am trying to change it. The problem is that I don't know of any especially natural way to get SR50 using it. If I absolutely must use SR50 for something (jump, grab, etc.), then it's a case of repositioning both hands on the keyboard, which obviously doesn't make for smooth running.

All you have to do is use 'Alt' instead of the < > or <- -> keys
to SR50. Only problem is you can't turn.

VolteFace said:

All you have to do is use 'Alt' instead of the < > or <- -> keys
to SR50. Only problem is you can't turn.

No. To SR50 you must press either of the sidestep buttons AND hold alt while pressing the turn key of the direction you're strafing against AND run forward.

Enjay said:

MS stuck that stupid Windows key in between my fire and strafe buttons.

And this is why I keep my old 'PC accesories' keyboard. Even if the left key is missing (the top of the key, it still works. best part of all- no one else in my house can get used to it but me!)

Fredrik said:

No. To SR50 you must press either of the sidestep buttons AND hold alt while pressing the turn key of the direction you're strafing against AND run forward.

Heh, I guess that's why
I can never make any of those big jumps. :p

/me goes to try it out.

I used to use the keyboard for every game, except for the crosshair in Abuse. :P But, when Quake 2 came out, I slowly started using the mouse, which I now use for every FPS except for Descent (keyboard is perfect for that game IMO) and Wolfenstein (for obvious reasons). I do, however, feel that freelook in Doom is cheating, just like jumping.

As for controllers, I never used them until I started using my PSX Dual Shock on the PC. :)

I used to play Doom with just a keyboard until I started to play Quake2. When I decided to go back into doom, I also found out about source ports, so I grabbed one that seemed most like Quake2 and I started playing. Now I use the WASD to move (a and d were the strafe) and the mouse for mouslook, shooting and jumping.

I'm a die hard keyboarder. I've tried to use the mouse in some 3D shooter games but it just doesn't feel right. Hail the good ol' keyboard! :)