Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Plyte

keyboard dooming

I am not a wacko keyboarder, i don't press multiple buttons at one time, and i make modifications so i won't hit certian buttons when i play. do you guys use the arrows or 'WASD' (as i like to call it) when playing. And playing doom with a mouse is really gay.

I use the arrows and all the original settings. I use multiple buttons a lot too. Strafe + Run + Arrow key is the only combination that I don't really use though :D

Caleb said:

I am not a wacko keyboarder, i don't press multiple buttons at one time, and i make modifications so i won't hit certian buttons when i play. do you guys use the arrows or 'WASD' (as i like to call it) when playing. And playing doom with a mouse is really gay.

Gay? Uh... I think like 85% of Doomers use the mouse, including
me. You can turn faster and yours fingers aren't all cramped together
on the keyboard.

Enjay is right about the Windows key it's useless! It has caused me so much trouble and it cannot even be taken from use. Windows has jammed many times because of that button.

What it comes to freelook being cheating, maybe it is but so what. I don't want to suffer the fact that i cannot look up and down, and it's ridicilous too. I mean, how is it possible that the doomguy cannot look up or down, has he no neck or something?

DooMer 4ever said:

I mean, how is it possible that the doomguy cannot look up or down, has he no neck or something?

Well, he certainly has no feet, as you can't see them when you look down.... (the same goes for any FPS, though!)

DooMer 4ever said:

What it comes to freelook being cheating, maybe it is but so what. I don't want to suffer the fact that i cannot look up and down, and it's ridicilous too. I mean, how is it possible that the doomguy cannot look up or down, has he no neck or something?

WTF?

When you're playing Deathmatch it's best to know what the other player uses for controls. If you're a fervent keyboard user and play against a mouse/kb user, you're bound to lose because of the other player's speed and agility, no matter how gay you think using a mouse is. That's why I sometimes use mouse and keyboard and sometimes just keyboard (when the other player(s) use 'em as well).

To put it simple: using a mouse gives a player a HUGE advantage!!

True. It's also a question about how used you are to it. If I would start using the mouse now I would sure play a lot worse than with kb. I once tried using the mouse in duke3d. That went to hell...

Well, I use wasd and the mouse, for the most i use old vanila doom and zone lan/ zdaemon for dming... :)
I really don't like freelook and jumping in dm... you can cheat with this, eg: bfg in the ground, jump and a grab secret weapon in a map(bfg, heh) instead of some secret way and hard way to it.
etc...

TorntheDark said:

Well, I use wasd and the mouse, for the most i use old vanila doom and zone lan/ zdaemon for dming... :)
I really don't like freelook and jumping in dm... you can cheat with this, eg: bfg in the ground, jump and a grab secret weapon in a map(bfg, heh) instead of some secret way and hard way to it.
etc...

Even with all those elements taken away (jump, freelook, etc), the advantage is with the mousing gamer, even with Vanilla Doom!

pritch said:

I sometimes think I must be the only person ever who plays useing gamepad, namely an old Gravis Gamepad Pro.

I used to play the combination Keyboard/Gamepad years ago, but at some point I just didn't, anymore...

Well, I guess that I'm gay huh? I need to explain this to my wife! I've always used mouse and keyboard with excellent results. Back in the "old days" we had a couple of players that were excellent keyboarders on our game connection server. They went by the handle of "Mr. Burns" and "Hitman". They were good too, but after a while everyone started to figure out how they played. When they entered an area they would wander in a little drawing out the other players then they would just "back up"...getting a better visual of the room and seeing the other players. They couldn't spin as quickly to get off a shot like a mouser. I saw alot of this backing up technique alot in deathmatch and keyboarders were not as successful in congested areas, in open areas they had better chances. Houses.wad was a classical congested type of map not suited for keyboarders but alot of the Dwango wads were great for keyboarders. I also found that accuracy of the shots were usually much better with keyboarders/mousers. I guess I'll stay gay then...

Cadman - Member TeamTNT
Doom2 GrandMaster (DHT5 Standards)

DooMer 4ever said:

What it comes to freelook being cheating, maybe it is but so what...

No it's not cheating it's just a modification. Yes, overall it gives an advantage but not in every situation. You certainly couldn't consider it to be fair in a comparison of lmp times for example, but if you play that way, no problem. It seems a lot of people do.

I could never get the hang of mouseplay in Doom. I think I could only successfully play with the mouse in UT and Q3 Arena. (That's only cuz that was all you could use!)

The game was initially thought out to play mainly with the keyboard, as was wolf3d, but experience showed using the mouse too was best. Now most of the better players use the mouse. A few keyboarders are pretty good though (like Chris Ratcliff, for example.) The keyboard in DOOM is not odd or anything. What do you think John Romero uses? Yup.

Not only am I a mouse whore, but also a mouselook whore to boot.

There is no way in hell I could ever go back to the keyboard only way of yesteryear. I wouldn’t stand a chance in single player or deathmatch. I've just enjoyed far to many games that have used mouselook brilliantly over the years to turn back now. I guess if you only play doom, and it's what your comfortable with, then I can under stand, just expect to get creamed in deathmatch.

I do not care how good you think you are, a mouse will always be faster. an I relly wish that people would calling me a cheater just because I use mouselook (Though I can understand jumping). If you don't like it, change servers.

I can live without looking up and down, but why should I? Source porters put it there for a reason.

Caleb said
…And playing doom with a mouse is really gay

so my sexually is defined by how I play doom eh? That IS news.

“My penis is %30 longer because I play doom with the keyboard only. And you’re all gay if you use mouselook.”

Morons.

Last night I tried playing a game of all-keyboard doom in stead of any mouse help. I found out that I lost it; had to learn it all over again...

...what does that make me? A transvestite...? A mouser trying to keyboard (again)...?

Hehehe

Enjay said:

2. MS stuck that stupid Windows key in between my fire and strafe buttons. Does anyone actually use that key?

Hate that Damn key! I sure don't (use it)

Heh, i actually find some use for that damn Windows key. If you press Win key + m all the windows will be put down. And I have used it a couple of times too, but with great hate towards it :)

I´m a happy keyboarder ;)

I use the arrow keys and Z,X and C for running, strafing on and shooting, respectively, using a combination of them to escape from a monster shot (like cacos, imps and barons) while shooting it. It was kinda weird experience to me to play QuakeII with the keyboard :o Very hard to aim the enemy...

Enjay said:

2. MS stuck that stupid Windows key in between my fire and strafe buttons. Does anyone actually use that key?

That was one of the main reasons that i saved my old keyboard which doesn't have m$ keys! Totally useless keys.