Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
lumbo7332

How do you organize your mods?

Recommended Posts

Right now, I have all my mods in separate folders in a main folder called 'Doom WADs'. Every mod has it's one instanced of GZDoom and I feel like it's pretty messy to do it this way. Is there a better way to organize everything?

Share this post


Link to post

There probably is a better way, but the way I do it isn't it.  I have everything mixed together in my Zandronum folder, with older stuff in my Skulltag folder, even-older stuff in my ZDaemon folder, and even-older-still stuff in my Doom2 folder.

Share this post


Link to post

just downloading into a directory i am currently in (yeah, GNU/Linux, terminal). it doesn't matter anyway: i wouldn't find 'em organized with any method (i tried!), so why bother trying to bring some order into chaos.

Share this post


Link to post

I got a couple of mods in my Zandronum folder (QC:DE + Complex Doom/ addons), Everything else is in my GZDoom folder in 2 subfolders, Mods and Wad Collection, the wad folder being specifically for maps. Both files are close to 20 gb lol.

Share this post


Link to post
17 minutes ago, Beezle said:

I got a couple of mods in my Zandronum folder (QC:DE + Complex Doom/ addons), Everything else is in my GZDoom folder in 2 subfolders, Mods and Wad Collection, the wad folder being specifically for maps. Both files are close to 20 gb lol.

And how to you easily load which set of maps and mods you want? How do you setup your load order?

Share this post


Link to post

I throw everything in my GZDoom 1.8.6 folder even if i'm going to play it on some other sourceport, because again, like everything i often do, is the way MANLY MACHOS DO IT (a.k.a my typical excuse)

Share this post


Link to post

Separate folders for audio, conversions (partial and total), gameplay WADs, maps (with additional subdirectories for megawads and and slaughter maps), multiplayer gameplay mods and visuals+HUDs (by visual mods I mean SmoothDoom, blood mods etc.). The only issue I've yet to solve with this arrangement is the labeling of stuff with colliding resources, but otherwise it's rather helpful.

Share this post


Link to post

I usually keep all the wads I've played through. Stuff I've finished goes into the " Completed " folder. Stuff I've completed and thoroughly enjoyed gets ceremoniously placed in the " Favorites " folder. Things I lost interest in or just stopped playing are banished to the purgatory that is the " Uncompleted " folder, however I may get back around to finishing a wad in said folder. Stuff I'm currently playing through, as well as my mods I usually play with ( smooth doom and high def sound pack ) goes into my " Current " folder. And finally stuff I've played through, whether to completion or not, that I absolutely could not stand is sentenced to life imprisonment in the aptly named " SUCK " folder.

Share this post


Link to post

In my case I separated material to folders like this:
-main IWADs, include Action Doom 2 and FreeDoom.
-a ton of pwads also pk3's and DEH's. The subdirectories contain wad folders for different source ports. Sound and music wads are here too, in subdirectory.
-different text files such as manuals, tricks and FAQ's. Even archived webpages from old doom-related sites which dead by now. Also I keep my ideas here.
-Prefabs folder. Mainly parts to help creating a levels.
-Resources such as custom textures, sprites and models.
-Folder with source ports. Almost all modern source ports here, even Chocorenderlimits and Autodoom.
-WIP folder - there is my incompleted stuff. I split map wads from resource wads.
-apps folder which contains many Doom programs such as GZDoomBuilder, ZDL, WadSpy, Oblige, WAD2PDF,  and many others.
-many .lmp demos to watch. Prboom-Plus is best in that kind.

 

1 hour ago, lumbo7332 said:

And how to you easily load which set of maps and mods you want? How do you setup your load order?

Use ZDL mod launcher. It's simple to use.
https://zdoom.org/wiki/ZDL

Share this post


Link to post
18 minutes ago, riderr3 said:

In my case I separated material to folders like this:
-main IWADs, include Action Doom 2 and FreeDoom.
-a ton of pwads also pk3's and DEH's. The subdirectories contain wad folders for different source ports. Sound and music wads are here too, in subdirectory.
-different text files such as manuals, tricks and FAQ's. Even archived webpages from old doom-related sites which dead by now. Also I keep my ideas here.
-Prefabs folder. Mainly parts to help creating a levels.
-Resources such as custom textures, sprites and models.
-Folder with source ports. Almost all modern source ports here, even Chocorenderlimits and Autodoom.
-WIP folder - there is my incompleted stuff. I split map wads from resource wads.
-apps folder which contains many Doom programs such as GZDoomBuilder, ZDL, WadSpy, Oblige, WAD2PDF,  and many others.
-many .lmp demos to watch. Prboom-Plus is best in that kind.

 

Use ZDL mod launcher. It's simple to use.
https://zdoom.org/wiki/ZDL

Is there a way to have different gzdoom config file INIs with zdl? So if a certain wad needs different settings you can keep that config file with it's own zdl preset. Does that make sense?

Share this post


Link to post

image.png.6bb72e8f7c876245260fdecc59ec2006.pngI have a snazzy Excel file that I keep track of with every Doom WAD I download.

Gameplay mods aren't in there as I hardly play any of them. For multiple resource loading, I use Doom Explorer.

Share this post


Link to post
43 minutes ago, Terminus said:

What terminus said

 

Haha, it feels quite nostalgic to see "undesired reality" here :D 

 

As for me: 

 

Well, I have a bunch of folders for different sourceports (gzdoom, zdoom, qzdoom, prboom, etc...) and in each of these folders, I have the iwads and sub folders for wads, pk3s (if the port allows them), zip files, etc...

 

I also have a folder called IWADS where I keep a copy of the different, well you guessed it, iwads. Just in case I accidently delete them from the sourceport folders (it has happened a few times...). 

I also have a folder where I keep my own maps (finished and wip) :D 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post

I put everything in the same folder because of my lazyness.

Share this post


Link to post
13 hours ago, lumbo7332 said:

Is there a way to have different gzdoom config file INIs with zdl? So if a certain wad needs different settings you can keep that config file with it's own zdl preset. Does that make sense?

To answer you're earlier question, I use ZDL, it can be a pain i n the ass going thru tons of files and folders but I'll save a specific playthru as a.zdl file and just load it as is whenever. 

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, Beezle said:

To answer you're earlier question, I use ZDL, it can be a pain i n the ass going thru tons of files and folders but I'll save a specific playthru as a.zdl file and just load it as is whenever. 

And you can save different INIs in the .zdl?

Share this post


Link to post

Yeah you have the choice of saving your load out as a .ini or .zdl. Really useful when you have a bunch of things in load order, Clusterfuck for example. I prefer .zdl so you can just click on it and launch:)

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, Beezle said:

Yeah you have the choice of saving your load out as a .ini or .zdl. Really useful when you have a bunch of things in load order, Clusterfuck for example. I prefer .zdl so you can just click on it and launch:)

I mean can you save the gzdoom-config.ini along with the .zdl?

Share this post


Link to post
21 hours ago, Terminus said:

I have a snazzy Excel file that I keep track of with every Doom WAD I download.

That looks like one hell of a list! Any chance I could get a hold of it? Seems like a nice resource for finding good WADs. :)

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, lumbo7332 said:

I mean can you save the gzdoom-config.ini along with the .zdl?

Yes I believe so.

Share this post


Link to post

My approach is pretty convenient for me:

  • I have Doom folder placed somewhere.
  • Inside there are some folders:
  1. _AUTOLOAD (where I place things I plan to load automatically)
  2. _IWADs (where all IWADs placed; the relative path - I try to avoid absolute paths to mantain portability - to this folder is added to source ports' config files where it due)
  3. _TOOLS (there are some installed software like GZDoomBuilder, Slade, etc.)
  4. GZDoom 3.7.2 (modern source port)
  5. GZDoom Development Build (modern source port - latest devbuild of the one above)
  6. ZDoom 2.8.1 (older yet modern source port)
  7. AutoDoom (source port that plays WADs when I can't do it myself)
  8. 3DGE 2.0.4 Final (another source port)
  9. 3DGE 2.1.0 Beta (yet another source port - more recent version of the one above)
  10. Chocolate Doom (and yet another source port)
  11. Doom Legacy (yet another cool source port)
  12. Eternity (yet another underrated source port)
  13. PrBoom-Plus (yet another oldie source port)
  14. Skulltag 0.98d (yet another outdated source port)
  15. Zandronum 3.0 (yet another multiplayer source port)
  16. Zandronum Development Build (yet another multiplayer source port - latest devbuild of the one above)
  17. Brutal Doom (a standalone installment of gzdoom+brutal doom+some mods like UDV HUD plus some WADs to play to like "Hell on Earth Starter Pack" or "Beyond Hell and Earth")
  18. Project Brutality (same as above but for Project Brutality)
  19. MEGAWADS AND WADS (there are all files that provide levels: WADs, megawads, TC's, etc.; with subfolders for Hexen, Heretic and Strife files)
  20. MODS (there are non-level mods: weapons, monsters, enhancements, everything else that is designed to be played with user-made WADs)
  21. Other (miscellaneous Doom or Doom-related files)
  • On my desktop there are shortcuts to source ports I prefer. They (usually, like GZDoom) allow just to drop files on them to launch.
  • There are a heck ton of batch files that I made for some mods, WADs, IWADs and such to allow playing them with specific requirements (e.g. some WADs require cc4-tex, or special .ini file, or mod, or another WAD, etc.) or combine them together (e.g. Colorful Hell + LegenDoom + High Noon Drifter + 10x Universal); this allows to create shortcuts to batch files and place them onto desktop, and then drop WAD files on them instead of dropping on GZDoom shortcut to launch them with said settings/preferences.
  • There are around 2000 WADs and 260 mods I collected totally. I made ton of changes mostly to fix bugs, typos, and provide compatibility with current GZDoom (yeah, I prefer GZDoom). And 200+ batch files to launch levels with mods are ready.

Therefore, to play something I just go to "MEGAWADS AND WADS", select it, and then drag'n'drop it onto GZDoom shortcut to play by default (or "Dead Marine"/"Guncaster"/"High Noon Drifter"/whatever batch shortcut to play it with those mods). Or go to "MODS" folder and drag'n'drop mod the same way.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×