Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DOOMme

GZ & QZ DOOM map names are wrong

So for a year i have been playing DOOM almost every single day and just started Memento Mori, i am already at level 06 but while i was searching for help on a given map i notices again that the map name is the one from the Doom2.wad... not the MM.wad iwad...

I know... this has been the case for years, it has happened to me sometimes, sometimes it doesn't. When i press TAB to open the map the name is wrong...

I want to know why once and for all, why sometimes when you load a custom iwad the maps are named based on the wad and not the iwad i am playing?, if so, how to fix it? because i also tend to miss all the "letters" that appear after level 10 or so, you know, the chapters.

Please could someone care to explain why this happens?, i was trying to fix this again with no luck, maybe i am missing something?

This is my Memento Mori shutcut or command line:

"F:\DOOM\QzDoom 2017\qzdoom.exe" -iwad "F:\DOOM\Zdoom\doom2.wad" -file "F:\DOOM\MODS\SmoothDoom.pk3" "F:\DOOM\Wads\mm.wad" "F:\DOOM\Wads\MMMUS.WAD" +fullscreen 1 +vid_renderer 1

Thanks.

Also i have to say that before creating this Thread i searched the Doom World forums and google for answers for this, have not found any and i am sure people finding this thread in the future will appreciate an answer on this.

Edited by DOOMme

In Vanilla Doom, level names were done in two places: Via graphics lumps, and via the executable itself.

Graphics lumps can always be replaced, and the bulk of custom PWADs of megawad length replace these. Relatively fewer did the internal level name replacement as that was both via DeHackEd patches and had some limitations of length, so if the WAD didn't provide one to run along with it, the automap names would still be the ones hard-coded inside the executable.

Memento Mori did not come with a DeHackEd patch. Therefore, it will revert to the standard Doom behavior - the level name graphics (when you're going to and from a level) will be whatever the WAD makers made them to be (and the default ones if nothing replaces them), but once inside a level itself, it will revert to the original name for the level, just like Vanilla Doom.

If this really does bother you though, you can always write up a MAPINFO that has the names replaced, and load that alongside the WAD. That will let you do the same thing as DeHackEd (better actually, since it wouldn't be limited to the length of the original string unlike DeHackEd).

The "chapter" things you're talking about (the intermission texts) were likewise stored inside the executable, and modifying them back in the day was also done via DeHackEd. ZDoom has a way of customizing these as well, but like with the automap level names, if no DeHackEd patch was provided, there simply would be the default, original intermission texts.

Edited by Dark Pulse

I understand, so if i want to be able to see the map names and so i have to create a MAPINFO file, can you walk me on how to do this?, do i write the "chapter intermission texts there also?"... i notice those are hard to come by on the internet, meaning that a regular search like "memento mori intermission texts" wont trow back nothing at me.

On the other hand, how we make a MM.wad with this info? as you said DeHackEd? is there any MM.wad version out there that already has this so i dont have to create it?.

And thank you so much for the answer, i still dont understand what a "PWAD" is and what DeHackEd is... i know that a wad is the original file that contains all the info, doom.wad, doom2.wad, heretic.wad etc... and iwads are well just glorified files that contain maps, monsters, music etc... that i can understand, but what is a PWAD? and DeHackeEd is some sort of external application that people used back in the day instead of what?.

Now about "graphics lumps" i assume you are talking about for instance also the doom HUB?, so lets say Ethernal which is also an old megawad changes the HUB rght, that is a graphical lumps?, what is a lump?

I mean this is something i am sure people search all the time, at the end the core game is still there, you can play the levels and hear the music etc, but it would be nice if you can walk me on how to adapt or make my own version of Memento Mori with this changes. Thanks.

Edited by DOOMme

20 minutes ago, DOOMme said:

I understand, so if i want to be able to see the map names and so i have to create a MAPINFO file, cna you walk me on how to do this?, do i writte the "chapter intermission texts there also?"... i notice those are hard to come by on the internet, meaning that a regular search like "memento mori intermission texts" wont trow back nothing at me.

https://zdoom.org/wiki/MAPINFO/Map_definition

It's a little complicated, but it's not so hard. You don't need to use every property or every single type of entry - really if you want to just add in the map names to the automap, you could just do something like this:

map MAP01 "The Teleporter"

map MAP02 "The Bridge"

map MAP03 "Interlock"

...and so on.

Though if a few things wind up missing (like music or par times), you'd have to add those as well. I think the default behavior for ZDoom though is that anything not explicitly specified in a custom MAPINFO is just pulled from the default definitions.

Intermission texts are an entirely different beast, but are also part of the MAPINFO file.

On the other hand, how we make a MM.wad with this info? as you saif DeHackEd? is there any MM.wad version out there that already has this so i dont have to create it?.

You'd use a tool like SLADE, generally. Open up Memento Mori's WAD, insert your MAPINFO, save it as a new WAD, and run the new WAD.

And thank you so much for the answer, i still dont understand what a "PWAD" is and what DeHackEd is... i know that a wad is the original file that contains all the info, doom.wad, doom2.wad, heretic.wad etc... and iwads are well just glorified files that contain maps, monsters, music etc... that i can understand, but what is a PWAD? and DeHackeEd is some sort of external application that people used back in the day instead of what?.

You don't need to really worry about DeHackEd, it was intended for the original DOS Doom, and you're using QZDoom, which will have DeHackEd support, but stuff like MAPINFO is far more flexible, so you have no business really using DeHackEd.

PWADs are short for "Patch WAD," which are WADs that replace game data, but don't have a full game's worth of data themselves (stuff like decorations, enemy graphics, HUD stuff, and so on). Those are IWADs instead.

Now about "graphics lumps" i assume you are talking about for instance also the doom HUB?, so lets say Ethernal which is also an old megawad changes the HUB rght, that is a graphical lumps?, what is a lump?

Lumps are just a piece of data inside a WAD. For any PWAD replacing the level names between levels, these are the lumps CWILVXX, where XX is a number from 00-31. Basically, if these files are inside a PWAD, they will "overwrite" the versions of those files that are stored in the Doom II IWAD.

Different IWADs use different lump names. Doom/Ultimate Doom for example use WILVXY, where X 0-3 (for the episode) and Y is 0-8 (for the map). So WILV25 corresponds to E3M6: Mt. Erebus.

Edited by Dark Pulse