Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Plyte

Dos or Windows?

Do you people prefer to play doom on Dos or in Windows?
And also do you people edit in Dos, Windows or a bit of both?
i don't know enough about Apple to ask a simillar question.
and yes i live in a cave with only an IBM compatiable. but there is a bright red light on the bottom of my mouse. which should keep me amused for some time.

I run it on (and edit on) my NeXTSTEP machine, of course, ever since back in the day Carmack sent me all the doomstuff to betatest and whatnot...

Is that the Cave of the Troll Lord you inhabit? Or the Cyclops, maybe?

I use the DOS emulator on my old Sinclair QL. As long as the map is small and simple, you get a few frames per minute.

I would use Encore (Doom emulator) for the Psion 5, but unfortunately the monsters can't move in that.

And the red light on the bottom of my mouse is very bright. If I stare at it too much it hurts my eyes.

myk said:

I run it on (and edit on) my NeXTSTEP machine, of course, ever since back in the day Carmack sent me all the doomstuff to betatest and whatnot...

O_O

you have any unreleased betas lieing around?

I use vanilla doom 1 and 2 for sp, if it is a normal doom-based map, else i use zdaemon, legacy, zdoom, etc...
I use windows for editing.

VolteFace said:

DeepSea (windows) for editing, ZDoom (windows) for playing.

Ditto, nowadays, but I remember the good old days of trying out a Win 3.1 editor and having to exit Windows to run Doom (wouldn't work under windows for me), and then restart Windows again to carry on editing.

Heh, up until about 2 months ago, it was WADED (DOS) and doom2.exe (DOS)
for me. :P I have 49854957459827598247529485724897 batch files for
automatic all sorts of different processes.

Before source ports I used Windows Editors and ran DOS Doom under Windows. Now it's basically all Windows stuff, except Dehacked and NWT, but I run those from Windows.

My Win98 machine is in charge of all that is Doom. I use zdoom the most and DosDoom whenever the feeling strikes me. the mouse doesn't feel as responsive in DOS, but i keep forgetting you can edit the mouse sensitivity above and beyond that of setup.exe manually. My tc was originally designed for DosDoom, but the savegame buffer had a stroke and it had to be ported.

DCK 3.62 (dos editor) Zdoom v1.19 (dos and windows)

Hey if it works, whatever. Right? RIGHT?!?

Dude, Windows XP. Just about rules out anything DOS based with sound. Actually, everything.

Dammed DOS sound dammit.

Oh well, that's what PrBoom is for :)

Used to use dos for map making (DOS). And wintex for other stuff. But then I upgraded to win95. Started using waded again through DOS, but something didn't like it, and my computer crashed. Couldn’t get win95 or cd drive working again, and my boot disk didn't do what I wanted it was supposed to. So I ended up removing all my needed files using DOS. Formatted through bios and some time later back to normal. But never again for me. I need to find myself a good windows editor.

What do you guys use or recommend?

opps

Used to use dos for map making (DOS).

should say Used to use Waded for map making (DOS).

mmnpsrsoskl said:

Dude, Windows XP. Just about rules out anything DOS based with sound. Actually, everything.

Dammed DOS sound dammit.

No, damn XP!!! Millions and billions of recearch dollars and still they can't get a DOS util to work normally under XP! >:

Well anywayz, I used to use MS-DOS for editing WADs and creating XM formated music for ZDOOM/ZDAEMON with Fasttracker.

I played the game itself primarely in DOS, until of course I found out about the other ports...

I use DCK 3.62 for editing, and JHexen for testing. As for Doom, I usually use JDoom, but every so often, I use the ol' doom.exe.

When I first got this computer, I had my choice of either Windows 98 or Windows 2000. I chosed 98 because I knew 2000 had problems with DOS programs, and I needed it to run DCK among other things.

I use Legacy (which runs under windows) and I edit with various windows and DOS tools. Heh, hows this for a set up:

My 1ghz has all my editing stuff on it, I edit my levels then using a VB program a friend made I click run and it saves the scripting file and biulds the nodes with Zennode, then saves the wad to the Legacy directory on my 200MMX computer. Because Legacy can load wads while it's running I never have to shut Legacy off, I just keep reloading the wad and no time is wasted going back and forth. I can also look at the level and edit the level at kind of the same time. I swear it's cut editing time by way more than half....

scorpion said:

No, damn XP!!! Millions and billions of recearch dollars and still they can't get a DOS util to work normally under XP! >:

What utils do you mean exactly? Sure a few DOS utils won't work (esp those with OS dependent features) - so what? Can't be done without compromising the system. For that matter some DOS programs won't work in Win95/98/ME either (like DCK or DOS DeeP).

Overall XP is a damn nice system. I admit to having some reservations myself and used a test machine for a few months before committing. I used to have to reboot several times a day when developing (mistakes I make). Now it's NONE. Wish I had done it SOONER.

Actually the COOLEST "dos" feature in XP (command interpreter), is the way you can resize the "dos" window and create a buffer (any size you like) and be able to scroll back and forth to see what you did long ago. Totally awesome. Depends of course on the kind of work one does:)

I play Doom2 on Dos mode so I can run it on my networked 486s, but If I play single I use LegacyGl

Ichor said:

...I chosed 98 because I knew 2000 had problems with DOS programs, and I needed it to run DCK among other things.

DCK wont run in windows. ' Tried it plenty o' times.