Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lila Feuer

Recommended single player maps/campaigns?

I'm aware of the excellent looking Doom 3: Phobos that released a little while back and having just finished the original game + ROE so I could prep myself (and wash the BFG edition taste out of my mouth from last year) I'd like to know from D3 players what are the best user levels available?

1 minute ago, Lila Feuer said:

Wow what a lovely list there! Thank you for putting it together.

If you want something like a campaign, the closest thing is to try with Endarchy first.

On 2/8/2019 at 4:47 AM, Doommarine_maxi said:

- Oxygen Factory by Psimorph

- Armar3 by Psimorph

Reveal hidden contents

These are only 2 maps from trilogy the adventure in the archaeological complex from Psimorph.
Here is another map - “Railway Station” (ArMar2.pk4).

Spoiler

armar2shot01.jpg.a44531541da50ab2a50448c27823ee26.jpg

Download:

https://yadi.sk/d/ypjCacjeVn8zr

The levels are highly detailed and interesting architecture. Strange, but the author did not make a single set of 3 maps - each level must be started with a pistol.
  Can someone be able to collect an episode of three maps while maintaining progress in weapons and things? It will be logical for the trilogy.

@Doommarine_maxi Thank you very much for this list!! I've always been wondering how many good Doom 3 there are, and it looks like there's a lot of them! I'll be sure to check them out as soon as I'm done with RoE and Lost Mission.

There's also TESTED, a pretty evil megawad of extreme difficulty. It has lots of custom monsters, all being derived from Doom 3's originals. First levels are tough but doable, but gradually turn harder until you get ambushed by hellknights and enhanced imps in every close quarter. All levels are huge, and dying without savegames can set you back big time. Beware though, as it also has 'unfair' situations such as platforming elements, which are not helped by how weak and slow is Doom3guy.

Thematically it's closer to classic Doom than Doom 3, having an overarching progression and an excellently executed atmosphere, but no real story to speak of. Switches and doors are also patterned repetitively like in classic games. Personally I view it as a great challenge, but also somewhat frustrating to replay (unfortunately I don't like saving, as I see it as a too cheap cop-out). It would have been better if Doom3guy were modified to be faster than he is now. Right now challenges similar to those from classic Dooms, such as being ambushed by two hellknights, two mancubi and a bruiser, don't work that well here, because you're so damn slow. Make one mistake, and you need to restart. I guess you can mod Doom3guy manually in the text files.

------

IN HELL is also pretty great, as another megawad. It's not as hard as Tested, and significantly smaller, but again very well executed. Again, it plays more like classic Doom, and uses PSX music.

Oxygen Factory and Railway Station downloads are down, are there any backup mirrors?

I just grabbed a shit ton of D3 maps lol. Anything that wasn't overly huge for the time being, so most of the more elaborate mods have to wait but still, this'll keep me busy!

thatsalotofdoom3.png

Edited by Lila Feuer

On 2/8/2019 at 2:47 AM, Doommarine_maxi said:

(Screenshoots and download links inside spoilers)

- Obiwan by Henk Bernhardt

- Trite Breeding Facility by "Thearrel "Kiltron" McKinney"

- The Sigma Core by Ryan "Quaker-X" Rutherford

- Escape from Deimos (three maps) by Samuel 'Kaiser' Villarreal

Once Upon A Time... by Thomas Creutzenberg

Evacuation Protocol by Guy Burkhart 

Executive Quarters by Jason 'heXum' McCord.

URUKHAI by Uwe Amberger

A Place Of Malice by Garth "Zombie" Hendy. (Requires ROE)

- CodeRED by StYl3 (Requires ROE)

UAC: Lost Facility by Robert "BJA" Hodri

TEH BASE by wARmAcH1n3

- Omega Research Facility by Ice Weasel (Danny Robinson)

Junon by Sebastian Peters (Tombery)

- Service Rooms by Psimorph

E2M4 -Deimos Lab by T.B.B. (Requires ROE)

Omicron 1 by OlafTorkland

Delta 6 by S.M.E.R.T.

Demon Genes by Caffeine Freak 

Chem Storage by Psimorph

Cramped Waste 01 by Gnomadika (THIS ONE IS HARD AF, also requires ROE)

CTT by S.M.E.R.T.

Last Hope by Aki, The HappyFriar, Listerman, Elise

- Alpha Labs - Sector 5 (v2.0) by Nightmare, fixed by SimoK 

- X1 Docking Station by MRLycon

- Bio-Labs by Psimorph

- Endarchy by Tigger-oN

- DCTPP by S.M.E.R.T.

- Oxygen Factory by Psimorph

- Armar3 by Psimorph

Reveal hidden contents

- Gamma Labs by Dave "Fat Angus" Billing

Reveal hidden contents

- Genetic by BJA

Does anybody have a back up of this? Most links are sadly dead. 

Does anyone have a backup for all of these? All the links I tried (I did not try all of them) They look pretty neat.

A few custom levels aint bad for a change from the vanilla Doom 3.

On 9/10/2021 at 10:10 PM, DeathWalkerGT said:

Does anyone have a backup for all of these? All the links I tried (I did not try all of them) They look pretty neat.

A few custom levels aint bad for a change from the vanilla Doom 3.

Most of those and more can be found here: https://en.ds-servers.com/gf/doom-iii/maps/

And here: https://www.moddb.com/games/doom-iii/tutorials/great-doom-3-modifications

Edited by warezeater

Thought I'd bump to say to anyone who never played it, Demon Genes is so goddamn good and actually legitimately scary at times, like Event Horizon scary, and has a really good action balance to boot without feeling the author is just trolling the player. Health is stingy however. I was however very saddened when it ended and didn't load a map 2, because there wasn't any, and there never will be. Some of the unfinished stuff is just such a tease, but it's great seeing what they did do.

Demon Genes was the first Doom 3 map I ever made, and where I learned a lot of the fancy tricks of the game. Took me about 9 months. I'm always amazed and flattered at how well-liked it still is. There's plenty of stuff in it I would do totally differently today. In retrospect, I would even call some of the scares in it pretty cheesy, but I know what I was going for at the time, so I'm fine with that. I remembered that I had intended Part 2 of it to be some sort of underground facility that was overgrown and had a nest of Vagaries, Ticks and Trites and whatnot. Me finishing the map and joining Hexen: EOC happened to overlap with each other by about a month or so. I was also doing full time college classes, so a Part 2 sort of went out the window at that point.

Anyway, thanks for the kind words. It's always nice to know your earlier work is still appreciated by people. :D

@Caffeine Freak: I wasn't aware that you were the author of the map, but I admire your and your teams work on Phobos!

Demon Genes has a memorable set piece with those Cherubs floating in glass vats. A bit like the "demon museum" in the main game, but more extensive. And I remember that it was atmospheric, quiet in the beginning and then some surprising Archvile attacks later on.