Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
crazyflyingdonut

Very, VERY worried about the final product.

Bethesda does worry me. I am actually expecting very few interesting additions. I expect to give them 60$ and then realize they got me.

2 hours ago, sudhish86 said:

Bethesda does worry me. I am actually expecting very few interesting additions. I expect to give them 60$ and then realize they got me.

Bethesda is not developing Doom Eternal.

This kind of thing comes up so frequently it becomes insufferable to have to repeat it so many times. People also seem misinformed about which Bethesda (yes there are 2) owns Id. Bethesda Softworks owns Id and Bethesda game studios, they are, after all, 2 different entities. So I doubt anything that Bethesda game studios does will affect Id at all.

11 hours ago, Caffeine Freak said:

Bethesda is not developing Doom Eternal.

Ok. I am new to doom and anything related to bethesda. Is it possible bethesda won't want to put much time, money, or thought into the game, and just piggyback off past success?

For instance, I would like them to add a leaderboard, competitive mode, a play list without power ups/demons, and some new mechanics (like being able to hang on a ledge indefinitely). But, I have heard from random online articles that Eternal is basically going to be the same as Doom 2016, but with more guns, different maps (not necessarily an upgrade), and more demons. 

That sounds REALLY sad, as the guns aren't balanced in MP at all in Doom 2016, and nor are the demons. It sounds like they're just saying, "we gotta do something new. let's just throw out some arbitrary features and call it new, and get them to spend $60."

8 minutes ago, sudhish86 said:

Ok. I am new to doom and anything related to bethesda. Is it possible bethesda won't want to put much time, money, or thought into the game, and just piggyback off past success?

For instance, I would like them to add a leaderboard, competitive mode, a play list without power ups/demons, and some new mechanics (like being able to hang on a ledge indefinitely). But, I have heard from random online articles that Eternal is basically going to be the same as Doom 2016, but with more guns, different maps (not necessarily an upgrade), and more demons. 

That sounds REALLY sad, as the guns aren't balanced in MP at all in Doom 2016, and nor are the demons. It sounds like they're just saying, "we gotta do something new. let's just throw out some arbitrary features and call it new, and get them to spend $60."

Okay. Id is developing doom, not Bethesda. Another note is that in doom 2016 Id actually outsourced the multiplayer development to a different team because multiplayer was not really the focus of that game, but doom eternal's multiplayer will be developed by Id so it will likely be very different from the lackluster multiplayer of 2016. That being said, doom is not a primarily multiplayer game, the singleplayer is, and always has been the selling point. And from the looks of it, the singleplayer will have a lot of new features and gameplay mechanics.

13 hours ago, Egg Boy said:

This kind of thing comes up so frequently it becomes insufferable to have to repeat it so many times. People also seem misinformed about which Bethesda (yes there are 2) owns Id. Bethesda Softworks owns Id and Bethesda game studios, they are, after all, 2 different entities. So I doubt anything that Bethesda game studios does will affect Id at all.

In fairness, Bethesda Softworks and Bethesda Game Studios are not entirely different companies.  Softworks is basically the publishing arm of Game Studios.  Supposedly they're based in the same building and share executives.  It also confuses things that both companies are owned by ZeniMax Media (Bethesda Softworks does not own Bethesda Game Studios, they are both owned by ZeniMax), but ZeniMax isn't really a separate company either, it's merely a holding company set up by Bethesda in order to own the other developers they bought (Arkane, id, Machine Games etc.).  

That said, it does still hold true that Bethesda Softworks has a very solid track record over the last few years, so no reason to think it'd be any different for Doom Eternal.

On 2/8/2019 at 2:23 PM, Marn said:

They should bring Romero back and stop putting Todd Howard in charge of Doom games.

Though I'd love that but it's not like the new doom has failed. I'm not saying Romero won't be a positive change. Just saying It's not a necessity.

11 minutes ago, GoatLord said:

Who are we to decide what he wants?

Also Romero already said he's "absolutely" satisfied with the direction of the reboots, so there's that as well.

On 4/17/2019 at 1:40 AM, Egg Boy said:

Two entities under the same corporate umbrella. 

Ultimately anything they decide no longer falls on Id.  If the higher-ups want loot boxes they will get their loot boxes.  It all boils down to how ignorant the corporate stooges/shareholders are that probably don't even play games. 

As it seems now they don't lean on their developers and give them enough creative room to do whatever they want without pushing trendy money-makin' schemes.

I'm sure it will be a fun game as the last one was. I'm kinda happy they're bringing the old plasma gun design back than that shrimpy looking glorified SMG they've passed off as a directed energy weapon. I don't know what to expect honestly, it's starting to look and play like that Metroid fps that game out in the early 2000's. Not that it's a bad thing, I enjoyed those!

So to be fair after that abomination of a Keen game that they showed us as the first id game I did go into the rest of the id stuff very fucking angry from the start, but nonetheless now that I've calmed down after E3 I'm still afraid cfd may have been right all along on this one, even though I was super hype after Doom '16 and the first Doom Eternal reveal.

It's looking to me like Doom Eternal's going to be full of typical greedy cash-grab nonsense. Yeah there's the three different collector's edition nonsense but that's a minor point (and I even have the Revenant figure for the first so that'd be a bit hypocritical). More worrying is this "Slayer's Club" thing.

The Slayers Club is the official DOOM fan club. It's a celebration of the fans, passion, and creativity surrounding DOOM over the past 25 years. Becoming a member is free, easy, and grants fans access to exclusive giveaways, streams, content, digital items for DOOM Eternal, and more!

The Slayers Club is about honoring the fans that made DOOM what it is today. Throughout our Year of DOOM celebration, we’ll be showing love to the classic games, glory-killing our way through DOOM (2016), and revealing more about the much-anticipated sequel, DOOM Eternal.

Whether you’ve been with us since the shareware days or just discovered DOOM yesterday...welcome to the Slayers Club.

Now yes the club itself is free. What worries me is "exclusive giveaways, streams, content, digital items for DOOM Eternal, and more!". Now Doom '16 did have unlockable in-game items and such but to my knowledge no microtransactions. But now with Doom being a big name in games again with the success of Doom '16, and id already willing to sell out Keen, I fear that this could change. For example, the lives system that's been introduced. For me, a lives system in 2019 almost always seems to be associated with the ability to "buy back in" for a small fee (to be fair this is more of a mobile game thing but still). Why else would they need a lives system in a modern FPS?

I dunno, it's looking kinda bleak to me. Think I'm gonna pass on this one.

1 hour ago, TheMightyHeracross said:

Why else would they need a lives system in a modern FPS?

It's probably just another arcadey feature, which seems to be a running theme in DE.

Slightly off topic, But whatever happened to Todd Hollenshead? He seemed a pretty capable guy.

the lives system that's been introduced. For me, a lives system in 2019 almost always seems to be associated with the ability to "buy back in" for a small fee (to be fair this is more of a mobile game thing but still). Why else would they need a lives system in a modern FPS?

I have a strong feeling that there is no way in hell they would let you buy extra lives for Doom. It looks to be an item you can pick up where once you hit zero hp you come back. I'd imagine you can only carry one at a time anyway. They aren't gonna ruin this game with micro transactions.

The game looks good, it just is not Doom to me, it feels even more "arcade" than the first one and too many stuff from modern games. At this point the new Doom franchise resembles more God of War power fantasy mixed with modern fps than anything else.

So to be fair after that abomination of a Keen game that they showed us as the first id game I did go into the rest of the id stuff very fucking angry from the start, but nonetheless now that I've calmed down after E3 I'm still afraid cfd may have been right all along on this one, even though I was super hype after Doom '16 and the first Doom Eternal reveal.

It's looking to me like Doom Eternal's going to be full of typical greedy cash-grab nonsense. Yeah there's the three different collector's edition nonsense but that's a minor point (and I even have the Revenant figure for the first so that'd be a bit hypocritical). More worrying is this "Slayer's Club" thing.

Now yes the club itself is free. What worries me is "exclusive giveaways, streams, content, digital items for DOOM Eternal, and more!". Now Doom '16 did have unlockable in-game items and such but to my knowledge no microtransactions. But now with Doom being a big name in games again with the success of Doom '16, and id already willing to sell out Keen, I fear that this could change. For example, the lives system that's been introduced. For me, a lives system in 2019 almost always seems to be associated with the ability to "buy back in" for a small fee (to be fair this is more of a mobile game thing but still). Why else would they need a lives system in a modern FPS?

There is nothing that really points towards this being the case. My guess is being in the player's club will get you free skins and shit. Also, why would they sell 1 ups when, according to the gameplay we've seen, they're part of secret areas? I think id is just trying to make doom more arcade-y and over the top. If micro transactions were a big deal at id, I believe we would have heard a lot more about the multiplayer by now.

I'm personally glad to see that what they did well with Doom 2016 revamped and overhauled for Doom Eternal. The game looks like a total blast to play. It's definitely modernized compared to the original Doom games, but why wouldn't it be? I feel like some people can't get past the fact that it's not a 1:1 remake of the original Doom, but instead it's a reboot of the franchise for modern times. It takes from the originals and goes in a new direction. There are things I wished were a bit more 'Doomy', like keycard and switch puzzles and all that stuff, but for what they're doing with the games now is fun. They could've released the Doom 4 that they were originally making and destroyed the ip from the sound of it, but instead we got a solid game and what appears to be another solid game to expand on it. Can't wait until it releases :)

I dunno Hugo's smile and excitement for Doom sold me 6 months ago, I'm buying it anyways. I can't right now say if DE will be a good or great game, but it surely won't be a bad one. 

2 hours ago, TheMightyHeracross said:

The lives system has been explained. An extra life is a collectible item that lets you respawn in the battlefield close to where you were, rather than back at the most recent checkpoint. It has nothing to do with microtransactions.

I'm sold on the direction. id knew what it did well and expanded on it. The sudden strafe / phase ability is a welcomed one and they're obviously building levels and secrets around it. I detect inspiration from the Dying Light movement mechanics.

As for Commander Keen, let's be honest here that license had no future with a triple A developer and publisher. Mini retro games is not something often touched by them unless it's on mobile. It's nice that it had received some sort of attention beyond Easter Eggs.

2 hours ago, TheMightyHeracross said:

Nothing about Doom Eternal or Bethesda/ Id's plans for it so far have even remotely suggested that "extra lives" are going to be a paid for feature. In fact, given the primarily single player nature of the campaign (Invasion being 100% optional), it wouldn't even make sense for them to build an entire system around that. The only "pay for more" thing they have mentioned was plans for future single player DLC (mission packs), which was in direct response to people being annoyed at Doom 2016's DLC's being multiplayer focused. 

I'll grant that Keen looked stupid as hell (I didn't even know about it till now...), but it's hardly indicative of iD's plans at the moment.

I will say this about Keen (and this comes from someone who only played it a tad bit growing up, didn't spend much time with it); the visuals and general attitude are cringe-worthy for sure, but it being on mobile honestly makes sense.  

Hi guys, it's me, CFD. I've been busy with other things lately, and now I have to get a new computer because it simply won't handle a new graphics card and a new power supply for my Oculus Rift S.

Yes, I saw BE3, and I'm not sure what audience is the new Commander Keen game supposed to be for, Doom Eternal has kind of a new other-worldly vibe to it that looks interesting.

Tomorrow (June 11th) is my 18th birthday, but I may have to wait until after that in order to make my big splash into the deep pool that is the world of Virtual Reality. I've been more concerned about VR than ever lately because I am closer into getting in.

What does that have to do with the article? Well, it was my thoughts on BE3 and I just wanted people to know that I'm still here, I've just been doing other things lately.

Also I had to deal with the loss of somebody I've known for a really long time, so that kind of killed my motivation for posting for a little while.

To dismiss Doom Eternal as just 2016 with more content is incredibly short-sighted and not really fair. The material released so far shows an entirely more indepth and rich game. But honestly, more Doom 2016 is still worth paying for in my book. That game was a blast and still somehow felt "Doomy" to me at least.

Also to panic about what Bethesda might do to the game is silly. As others have pointed out, it's an id title published by Bethesda's publishing arm. id will have primary creative control and know they will be setting themselves up for a spectacular faceplant if there is anything silly going on that interferes with the gameplay. They would get crucified. While I will not completely discount it either (this is the gaming industry afterall) there is really no evidence to suggest anything different and it is incredibly improbable in my opinion. Be smart. Do not preorder. Wait for reviews. Vote with your wallet. It is really not difficult.

4 hours ago, D88M3R said:

The game looks good, it just is not Doom to me, it feels even more "arcade" than the first one and too many stuff from modern games. At this point the new Doom franchise resembles more God of War power fantasy mixed with modern fps than anything else.

This is just straight up schizophrenic mate. Sorry, but you can't just claim it's too arcade-y at first and then claim it takes too much stuff from modern games.

Doom Eternal looks more like OG Doom than Doom 2016. What we've seen so far, makes Doom 2016 look like a tech demo on how to design an oldschool shooter in a modern context.