Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
crazyflyingdonut

Very, VERY worried about the final product.

Looks good so far but they need to tone down the arcade elements (cluttered HUD, bright purple cell pickups, giant (DASH REFILL) spheres, and those question marks).  The floating gun pickups really rub off the wrong way and look like something more in place with Quake 3.

8 minutes ago, STILES said:

The floating gun pickups really rub off the wrong way and look like something more in place with Quake 3.

I loved that part. It really brought me back to when I was a wee lad and first played Heretic and then the few years later when I played Doom. I really loved it.

34 minutes ago, Zemini said:

the guns were likely placed that way for demo purposes. 

I hope you're right.

3 hours ago, STILES said:

Looks good so far but they need to tone down the arcade elements (cluttered HUD, bright purple cell pickups, giant (DASH REFILL) spheres, and those question marks).  The floating gun pickups really rub off the wrong way and look like something more in place with Quake 3.

Agreed! 

4 hours ago, STILES said:

I disagree, they make the battlefield more readable. Plus it fits the game, considering its 90s legacy.

1 hour ago, DooM_RO said:

I disagree, they make the battlefield more readable. Plus it fits the game, considering its 90s legacy.

Except it's not a 90's throwback shooter. What seems to be happening with Eternal is what happened with Serious Sam 2, where Croteam thought it was a great idea to take all the silliest elements of the game and crank them up to 11. Huge mistake on their part since most fans hated it and the company nearly went out of business. Now I'm not implying Eternal will be a flop, but I'd rather have something that feels like a sequel to Doom 2016 than the meme culture surrounding that game.

17 minutes ago, Spectre01 said:

Except it's not a 90's throwback shooter. What seems to be happening with Eternal is what happened with Serious Sam 2, where Croteam thought it was a great idea to take all the silliest elements of the game and crank them up to 11. Huge mistake on their part since most fans hated it and the company nearly went out of business. Now I'm not implying Eternal will be a flop, but I'd rather have something that feels like a sequel to Doom 2016 than the meme culture surrounding that game.

Not getting that impression but I can see why it puts off some people.

3 hours ago, Spectre01 said:

I very much agree with this.

There's no question that I'm going to buy Doom Eternal and I will even build a new PC for it. I have very little doubt that I'm going to enjoy it for what it is.

That said, I do think that this generation of Doom looked its best back in the original E3 demo for 2016. The one from the Foundry level.

Looking at the Doom Eternal footage here, one phrase comes to mind; "it's so dense; every single frame has so many things going on"

But it is what it is and it does what it does very well, so. I'm in.

On 2/7/2019 at 8:04 PM, crazyflyingdonut said:

So, I've heard a lot of bad things about Bethesda in the past couple of months. They apparently released the newest game in the Fallout franchise and it was apparently a pile of dog shit on fire.

I've never played any Fallout games because I'm not a fan of the Fallout franchise. It just does not seem all that interesting to me.

The only reason why I'm mentioning Fallout at all is because I am aware that Bethesda owns both Fallout and Doom.

So what's my concern here? Basically, I'm worried that Doom Eternal will be disappointing. I'm seriously concerned about whether or not Bethesda is going to fuck up Doom Eternal.

Just imagine that the awesome trailer with gameplay footage from August of 2018 ended up being the only parts of the game that were good, and the rest of the game was like a corn dog but with shit instead of meat. And it'll spawn the thought: "Wow, what a great concept utterly shattered by bad development." because we saw the awesome-looking realistic city on fire in the trailer and the destructive demons.

I also thought Eternal was going to have trouble when released, but then realized something.

4 hours ago, Spectre01 said:

3 1/2 pages into the thread, and I think this is the first well-reasoned concern I've seen, that isn't based on a false premise or ridiculous assumptions. Finally.

I think the style of the pickups and whatnot clashes with the overall style of the game, to an extent---though, I had less of a negative reaction to seeing these pickups again after seeing them initially. Not sure what to attribute that to. It could be that the pickup *models* don't clash with the environment so much as their standout glow effects do, and it took me a second glance to realize that. I think the problem of clashing visuals could be reduced considerably if they toned down the glow of the pickups so they looked more like it belonged in the gameworld. Or take the approach Doom 3 did with the armor shards and med packs---give them the same lighting as the gameworld, but add little light indicators on them. I really would also like it if they kept the weapons the same as in Doom 2016---not floating, no highlights. You pick them up from the ground or a corpse and use them.

But then again, I suppose the fact that these are my main concerns so far is actually a pretty good sign about this game.

12 hours ago, STILES said:

This. Doom Eternal looks very fun but the art direction is a but too cartoony/arcady at places. The new HUD, glowing floating weapon pickups and those big question marks are very jarring when compared to everything else going on.

The older HUD in quakecon 2018 was better. And the pickups (weapon, ammo, health and powerups) in Doom 2016 were better as they were not jarring.

It’s hard to believe that those weapon pickups are there for anything other than demo purposes. We already saw that plasma rifle animation at QuakeCon, I don’t see why they would get rid of them.

5 hours ago, Ramiel said:

It’s hard to believe that those weapon pickups are there for anything other than demo purposes. We already saw that plasma rifle animation at QuakeCon, I don’t see why they would get rid of them.

Had the same initial thoughts but let's hope it's JUST for demo purposes.  The pickups (Health vials, medikits) are fine, generally speaking everything from Quakecon 2018 was done right.  Neon flickering lights on everything is the real detractor and what gives it the arcade/mobile game look.

My biggest criticism is the colorful arcade item pickups.  I think it could be toned down a tad - I am looking at you SECRET QUESTION MARK!  They probably have the items so bright so they can be better spotted in the heat of a battle.

I am fine with the hud and we can probably turn it off like the last game.

In regards to the glowy arcade gun and other pickups it could very well be custom placed developer items for the sake of a fluid demo. 

I don't have easy access to the previous demos but when Doom Slayer picked up the missile launcher was it a glowing rotating transparant pickup?

Yeah, it looks ugly and all. But with all that HD graphic fidelity, I'm gonna need as much big colourful signs of "PAY ATTENTION HERE PLEASE" to play it hard, fast and on a decent difficulty.

It is entirely probable they were just for demonstration. It is also possible it is an arcade mode, or at least settings that can be turned off and on as per the user's tastes.

The HUD does look ridiculous and i was fine with the arcade approach until the big ass question mark with that "bling" sound. (and also the design of the dash refill thing)

Whether the story matters or not, each Doom game always had pick ups and items feeling like they fit the world, even if some didn't stand out visually.

Which means medikits, blue bottles and rockets are very Doom but making them glow and that question mark thing aren't that Doom at all.

I like how the art style is not only more faithfull to the originals (After different iterations of Doom and all those other franchises that changed for better or worse) but even the stuff that is new is more interesting than the previous game.

So, most of my issues and complaints are minor and i expect id to tweak the game in the final release.

Yeah, the glow is overkill. It makes everything look too busy and not in a good way. Kind of strips the purity of its gameplay with that much visual clutter.

I'm hoping for a "classic HUD" (Doom 2016) option if nothing else. 

Bethesda seems to have a bad year: Fallout 76 (late 2018), Rage 2 and Wolfenstein Youngblood are below their expectations. I hope Doom Eternal will perform better...

This one seems to have exceptional depth in comparison to what is normally seen in FPS, so I find that with merit.