Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Xaser

Back to Saturn X Episode 3 [WIP]: 5 MAP PREVIEW BUILD ON PAGE 11

20 hours ago, map11has2names said:

we might never see this release at this rate.

You say that, but TNT 2: Devilution's beta release happened just earlier this year and that WAD has been in development for even longer. Don't count your chickens before they hatch, fam.

On 9/28/2022 at 6:15 AM, map11has2names said:

we might never see this release at this rate.

Ofcourse it will.

23 hours ago, Thelokk said:

Clearly, the only way to stop these endless BTSX 3 thread bumps is to release BTSX 3.

Easy fix. Who'd have thunk it? 

Or maybe greenhorns need to learn to only bump high level threads such as these with meaningful replies instead of doing the same old spiel that they always do.

18 hours ago, Herr Dethnout said:

but before Mordeth

Count your blessings... When it comes to historic content, this, Thrust and esp Doom Millennium have an interesting stash of resources waiting for release.

14 hours ago, esselfortium said:

Unless you’re funding development, it’s going to take as long as it takes and we’ll post updates when we’re ready to post them.

BTSX is about the only project in the community that should be allowed to do this. Literal mapping magik takes time, after all...

Edited by Redneckerz : Removing a quote which i can't remove on mobile.

17 minutes ago, xScavengerWolfx said:

When is it coming out?

Hmmmm...

7 hours ago, esselfortium said:

...Back to Saturn X Episode 3: Instructions To The Rusty Time Machine is planned to release late next year if all goes as planned.

7 hours ago, Rudolph said:

Cool! That gives me about a year or so to finally beat Episode 2! :P

(Not because it is bad or anything, but because I keep getting distracted by other WADs and games.)

Was about to tell the same; still some time to complete earlier episodes (yes, plural). I have started ep 1 at least three times now only to be distracted by other stuff. Perhaps I should get into the habit of adamantly playing only one wad at a time…

5 hours ago, baja blast rd. said:

Nah, just about any project can post updates when, and only when, the authors feel like it. And if that means no updates, deal with it. 

eOG6KqU.png

I know this is a clarification (and rightly so) but i was saying this in jest :) As in: Something that is this good should be allowed to take whatever time needed.

Ofcourse this applies to every project, but some projects are special. BTSX is one of them. 

16 hours ago, esselfortium said:

if all goes as planned.

So in other words, likely after Mordeth?:p) Although certain people will probably hate it that much more as a result because of 'pretentiousness' but no matter!

Pretty disrespectful to beg community vets for such an important wad. It'll be out when it'll be out. 

2 minutes ago, LadyMistDragon said:

'pretentiousness'

Can we please not

Let's let the devs update us and not the other way around guys.

16 minutes ago, Dusty_Rhodes said:

Pretty disrespectful to beg community vets

The begging is definitely something that's a little bit ridiculous, hence the reason for that possibly pointless jab. It's not going to come out any sooner.

Y'know with all these pointless bumps (feel free to call this post ironic), I'm outright surprised this thread hasn't even been locked yet.

21 minutes ago, Xaser said:

The thread hasn't been locked because I requested it not be locked -- the occasional bump is annoying, but it's worse being locked out of the ability to update the thread, since not everybody on the dev team has mod powers.

On that note, the flood of annoyed replies to the bump are always way worse than the bump itself, because we still get notifications for those and they just keep rolling in. If y'all are annoyed at the lack of useful content in the bump, the best thing you can do is resist the urge to contribute to the problem.

@Xaser Mate, BTSX is so popular and brilliant it genuinely made me fall back in love with DOOM. It makes me sad that you're getting hate for not constantly providing development updates. I hope I speak for the majority when I feel nothing but love for your (and the rest of the team's) hard work on this project and, if we are being at all annoying, it's purely out of anticipation and excitement for what the next episode brings. 

20 hours ago, esselfortium said:

We've been hard at work on it, and Back to Saturn X Episode 3: Instructions To The Rusty Time Machine is planned to release late next year if all goes as planned.

On the subject of the resource wad, look forward to nine completely new themes in addition to the tech/gothic/ruin themes from e1 and e2.

That many themes? You want to be the next OTEX right? :)

5 hours ago, LadyMistDragon said:

So in other words, likely after Mordeth?:p) Although certain people will probably hate it that much more as a result because of 'pretentiousness' but no matter!

Maps over 10 minutes long and I cant UV max it first try.  Very much egotistical and pretentious if you ask me. /s

Y'all keep that stuff out of this thread, please. You're already making me re-think my stance on thread locking.

2 hours ago, Xaser said:

You're already making me re-think my stance on thread locking.

Meh. Pretty sure my day would proceed without much issue. 

3 hours ago, Xaser said:

Y'all keep that stuff out of this thread, please. You're already making me re-think my stance on thread locking.

Honestly, it's probably better locked.

Just now, Not Jabba said:

That looks like a lot of progress!

A lot has been happening, for sure. Things kicked off in a pretty big way early last year, after a years-long burnout lull.

screenshots 1, 8, and 10 are my favorite. If anything else, BTSX E3 will have a lot of variety in its looks. 

Particularly screenshot 1 reminds me of Urdak slightly with its color choice. 
8 has the invis floor with the bright neon edge trope that is great and makes every wad it appears in guaranteed to at least be good. also seems like an industrial hell. Mechanical patterns with classic striped yellow and grey stripes, typical of construction along with a panopticon-like arrangement of steel bars with a hellish orange inside. Almost like a fire is inside burning. Maybe this hell is more human-made than demon? 

Screenshot 10 is shot from an angle showing a Gothic design sharing the design of the building on the right, contrasting with the modern skyscraper resembling purple glass that rests upon a blood-soaked ground. 
AND THE FUCKING SKY????? Abstract, purple, and orange lines, connecting like a spider's web, resembling that of the edge of the universe (seen here) or a neural network of the brain. Or at least as close as you can in doom. IDK if this is possible but i hope this sky is animated somewhat, with the orange highlighting in different areas. But if not its still a fantastic design. as in what setting it is, a hell city, less like Immora but more urban. as if the demons mirrored modern architecture while still remaining that demonic gothic style while looking into our universe.

I know this analysis is heavy for a doom wad of all things but honestly, from what I can intuit most doom wads are light on the story in the expositional sense but in the From software, and Zelda BOTW/TOTK sense where you see through the environment some semblance of a story that could exist. Regardless if it does in the mapper's head or not. The fact that I can interpret these screenshots this way speaks to the craft of Essel and the whole of the BTSX team, where the creation of this world even though only these pre-release screenshots of a place, THROUGH A 30-YEAR-OLD GAME THAT COULD RUN ON A FUCKING POTATO, can create world-building.
looking at these screenshots I think I now realize why BTSX E3 took and is taking so long. The 1st and 2nd episodes, although varied, mostly stuck to one theme, resulting in a collection of maps that while good, were very good in fact, had the most common complaint of many levels looked similar. E1 was mostly tech bases, an already highly done trope, so to some people, a whole megawad with it seemed not very appealing, even with the new textures, although in e2 this was fixed by not being tech-based. instead going for more of a temple aesthetic. E2 still had a complaint of being a little too samey. So I think that a choice was made to take all outlier maps not used in E1&E2 and create maps with less of a single theme in mind, or at least a less ridged one. instead of releasing a beta of E3 years ago but all maps only shared the theme of one of these screenshots.
To me at least, these screenshots alone make the wait worth it. So seeing it in motion will be worth a lifetime of wait.

Thank you for making something I could think about.

It looks rad. I’m so excited to play it. Congrats to the whole team for the progress, and I can’t wait to see more!

THE KING HAS RETURNED! PRAISE THE DOOM GODS THAT THIS GETS AN IMMEDIATE RELEASE TO THE BETHESDA PORTS WHEN COMES OUT

MOTHERFUCKING GODSPEED BROTHERS

44 minutes ago, WorldMachine said:

THE KING HAS RETURNED! PRAISE THE DOOM GODS THAT THIS GETS AN IMMEDIATE RELEASE TO THE BETHESDA PORTS WHEN COMES OUT

MOTHERFUCKING GODSPEED BROTHERS

Please turn off caps lock!  :D