Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Xaser

Back to Saturn X Episode 3 [WIP]: 5 MAP PREVIEW BUILD ON PAGE 11

"You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time, but you can never please all of the people all of the time." - Abraham Lincoln, or so the Internet tells me. :P

I really don't know what is expected from a project that, once again, is worlds apart from anything else produced for the vanilla version of a nigh-on thirty year-old engine with limitations up the wazoo; and is being released for free. As an artist and designer myself, I think it looks amazing; and definitely is not 'monotextured'.

I fucking literally said this :

2 hours ago, Uni said:

I'm not trying to judge the maps only based on those screenshots, I know E3 is going to be fucking awesome but I guess a slightly more compelling screenshots could have been shown.

I'm sorry if people got their panties in the bunch over an honest opinion, I didn't mean to offend or demotivate anyone involving the project. In my honest opinion, I simply think that better pictures could be posted that depict the status of the maps because I'm sure the maps are looking way better than from what I've seen. I never said I don't like it. I'm actually a big fan of the series and I do look forward to it. 

2 hours ago, Uni said:

Granted, the textures are looking awesome but I'm not too impressed with the overall architecture depict in some of the screenshots.

59 minutes ago, Uni said:

I don't find anything in those screenshots "good" or "artistic". I see bland.

So are you going to pretend you didn't also say these things? Notwithstanding, I'm just disagreeing 'respectfully' like you. No need to get defensive.

Yeah, I meant that the architecture looked bland to me well except for that last one with those weird looking poles and the directional shadows going on, that looked very neat. 

Anyway, I see where this is going. I'll just stay away from giving an honest, truthful critique next time, especially to popular projects. Thanks for reassuring, have a nice day and good luck with the project.

With the "final" release of Ep. 2, is Ep. 3 a main focus, or is the team kind of chilling for a bit?

Love the purple color scheme in some of these pictures! I still haven't played e2 yet, but e1 was awesome. I love the maps where you go back to the "hub", they give the set a very cohesive feel, it really makes everything feel connected, almost similar to the way Bioshock's setting was handled.

I have a feeling picking up that soulsphere might not be the best idea...

Those floor textures remind me of Perdition's Gate for some reason.

3 hours ago, LiT_gam3r said:

I have a feeling picking up that soulsphere might not be the best idea...

If you don't grab it then how will you be able to destroy the demonic horde that will trap itself in there with you?

3 hours ago, P41R47 said:

Love those fake-slopes with midtextures!

At first I thought it's 1px masochism we've seen in Eviternity :D

IMG_20200818_112452_620.jpg

On 8/10/2020 at 5:38 PM, LiT_gam3r said:

Holy crap! The OP has 159 likes! The most I ever got was 16 or something. it isn't even a released project! Amazing!

This is due to a multitude of factors:

• You and i aren't Xaser.
  • Repeat after me, you and i aren't Xaser.
  • Xaser is, in fact, Xaser.
  • Xaser and Essel (and the others) have had a legacy of impressive moddings underneath their belt.
  • You and i aren't Xaser.

But you can get that many likes aswell, if there is a project you are working on that's balls-to-the-wall epic.

Such projects, however, are very far and inbetween - BTSX is one of them. Perhaps Doom Millennium or Mordeth are still aswell if they ever see a release. This is not ''This looks pretty sweet for a WAD'' territory, but rather a level of finesse that's universally appreciated among the community.

13 hours ago, Uni said:

I respectfully disagree. I don't find anything in those screenshots "good" or "artistic". I see bland.

What is your point of reference? BTSX E2? A different WAD?

FWIW i understand your plea for better screenshots that sell E3 more (Not that i agree but that's another point of contention) but i'd love to know what you compare these screenshots with.

12 hours ago, Marcaek said:

Hey guys, ask yourself if this is really worth escalating.

I was going to say ''Anything BTSX related needs more attention'' but the screen by Xaser and others speak for themselves. Very moody, still hellish, but this is very much a different kind of hell.

1 hour ago, esselfortium said:

Alas, this is the vanilla mapping masochism where trying that would get you all sorts of overflows.

Can confirm, if the ceiling flats on those 'sloped' sections don't VPO, then you're asking for HOM with those 2s linedefs; which are more a bane to me personally than VPOs ever have been, if I'm honest.

So how close are we to finally witnessing the blessed BTSX E3 beta now that E1 and E2 are finally out from beta hell?

1 minute ago, General Delphox said:

So how close are we to finally witnessing the blessed BTSX E3 beta now that E1 and E2 are finally out from beta hell?

Not even slightly. There's a lot of work done on E3, but getting E2 updated was a project that took our focus for a while.

2 hours ago, esselfortium said:

image.png

...Goodness gracious.

That looks really moody and with stellar shading to boot.

This is going to be epic!

The fact you are all mapping within vanilla limitations is also simply incredible.

Also, credit goes to the texture artist. Having made textures myself, it can be difficult, tedious work. Excellent work all around!

6 minutes ago, obake said:

The fact you are all mapping within vanilla limitations is also simply incredible.

What about "savegame buffer overrun"s?

6 minutes ago, SilverMiner said:

What about "savegame buffer overrun"s?

BTSX ignores those much like parts of Alien Vendetta and a lot of other vanilla wads. It's unfortunately not very avoidable without just making smaller maps with low monster counts, so the BTSX true-vanilla exe experience is saveless, unless you're using a patched exe that fixes the save limit.