Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Death Egg

Intermission screen between ports

Do most if not all Doom source ports display the intermission screen text the same? That is to say the numbers and letters appear in relatively the same places as the original Doom. Basically I'm wondering if, say, part of the intermission screen background had elements like an LCD display, with the numbers lining up where they would appear on the LCD screen appropriately.

Hmmmm ...

Two weeks, and no reply.  That's disappointing.

We are looking to have an intermission screen where the Kills, items, and Secrets appear on a sort of heads up display.  If all or most DooM ports have the numbers for these stats appearing in the same place, then it will be easy to make a graphic that makes the stats appear as part of the display.  If different ports have different offsets for the stats, then the intermision screen could be all borked up, with the stats appearing in the wrong places.

Does anyone know if different port use different offsets for the intermission stats?

Approximately, I guess? Different ports do have different ways of tallying things though, and may frame the information slightly differently.

For example, in DOS Doom, 0% secrets could mean that you found no secrets, but it also could mean there were no secrets on the map. Some source ports will change that to 100% in the latter's case so as to remove the ambiguity, while still remaining demo-compatible (since it completes both in one tic). Some source ports display a Total Time metric; others do not. The original DOS doom turned your Time into "TIME SUCKS" if you played a map longer than an hour; most source ports remove that and display the actual time.

This might help you: https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Intermission_screen

it is safe to assume that different ports draws intermission screens differently (and even the same sourceport can draw it differently in different screen resolutions/aspect ratios).

Just by looking at them the numbers seem to be in very slightly different locations from port to port. I can do some 1:1 screenshot comparisons when I’m not at work if necessary just to be 100% positive.