Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hellbent

The Elon Musk Fan Thread

Discuss your fandom of Elon Musk here (or distaste; who doesn't love a good flame war)?

I'll start things off:

On 2/8/2019 at 1:40 AM, ReaperAA said:

The world will come to an end really soon.

Proof that you can be crazy and work for a company if you're a CEO. I think he's just working on his own celebrity, which I suppose helps the car company. My filthy rich friends who can easily afford his cars don't want to support a company run by him.

I think the guy's vision and business ideas are great, even he seems glib and spotlight hungry as a character.

The electric car future is something I look forward to dearly, so anyone trying to bring that forward is good by me -- imagine big cities without all the fumes and engine noise.  Sometimes when I've been out in London for a day, I find my snot has gone blackish at the end of it, it's fucking disgusting.  I was more hopeful when it looked like Tesla was going to be an energy company too, but it seems to all be about the cars at the moment. I'm not sure they'll be able to compete with China long term. Their main advantage for now is data, to my mind. They have a headstart of billions of miles of data to train their systems on, and there's no shortcut to that.

SpaceX as well. What if we could re-use the rockets? A very simple idea and that's what's genius about it for me.

Guy is a genius. He's like a god among men. "Hmm... this earth sure is shitty and no one is doing a terribly good job about setting it right. Here, let's implement some fun solutions to earth's problems." And voila, he is upstaging entire industries with decades of experience. I tend to agree with him in regards to his concerns with AI. It is troubling that no one seems concerned. Elon Musk has had some interesting insights on this topic (I'll post pertinent youtube video at some point). 

I won't lie, with Tesla and SpaceX it seemed for a while like he was doing some genuinely good stuff.

But as time goes on he seems increasingly like a shithead, and after the Tham Luang cave rescue and the way he behaved I've lost all respect for him.

44 minutes ago, fraggle said:

I won't lie, with Tesla and SpaceX it seemed for a while like he was doing some genuinely good stuff.

After the Tham Luang cave rescue and the way he behaved though I've lost all respect for him.

I'm also addressing Mr. Freeze and Grain of Salt.

I completely understand how you feel. The media gives a very fair and unbiased portrait of Elon Musk, as it does most issues. It is very careful to give an accurate picture of every issue it reports on where Elon Musk is involved, so when you came away with the conclusion that Elon Musk's behavior warrants "losing all respect for him", that makes perfect sense. I, too, have very high regard for the media and its agenda-free reporting. In fact, I don't know why I started this thread. Elon musk is such a rude, egomaniacal idiot!

https://www.quora.com/Whats-the-full-story-behind-Elon-Musks-involvement-with-the-Thai-cave-rescue-effort

Now the real question we should all be asking is, why is the media so hellbent on attacking Elon Musk over and over and over again? A person who is doing so much to better the world? Honestly, I am so perplexed by this. Utterly perplexed, saddened and sickened.

Why didn't the media go after this ungrateful twit? 

I would have been a lot less restrained than Elon Musk was after going through all the trouble to design a solution and ship it all the way to Thailand, and then be to told to shove my solution up my ass. :confused:

I think he latched onto that story like a lamprey and did what he could to get headlines. Just as many of his ideas are designed to do (underground tunnels spring straight to mind).

And you call someone that was actually there as part of a rescue an "ungrateful twit" for going after your idol?..

He seemed okay imo before the whole twitter fight. After that my opinion of him changed as he began to fight with the media. He really came off weird and inappropriate with his twitter comments. Dont have much respect for him now. 

He fights with the media because they act like its their full time job to tear him down. I'd get pretty tired of it, too. I thought people had learned by now that the media is biased and controlled and full of shit?

16 hours ago, Hellbent said:

I would have been a lot less restrained than Elon Musk was after going through all the trouble to design a solution and ship it all the way to Thailand, and then be to told to shove my solution up my ass. :confused:

It didn't solve the problem. The very video that you linked to makes this quite clear. I trust the actual cave rescuer - the hero who rescued those kids - far more than Elon Musk. Why don't you?

The whole incident points to an arrogant, Silicon Valley-type attitude of "I'm smart so I can solve any problem and I know better than the experts". In Musk's case he has money to waste on building and shipping his useless "solution" to the site, but we see this kind of thing all the time in microcosm. Too much stuff in the tech industry nowadays is like this - things built recklessly without truly understanding the problem space, and the result is either useless (because it's something nobody wanted) or harmful (because the potential consequences weren't considered).

Maybe it was a PR stunt or maybe it wasn't. I personally lean more towards "opportunity for an arrogant billionaire to stroke his own ego in public", though maybe the difference between that and a PR stunt is kind of academic. Either way, there's something deeply tasteless about him trying to turn a situation where kids' lives are in danger into The Elon Musk Show. I don't blame Mr. Unsworth for telling Musk to stick his "submarine" where it hurts.

But I notice you avoided mentioning the whole "pedo" thing - the real cherry on the shit cake that tells me everything I need to know about Musk's character. I hope Unsworth wins his defamation suit.