Terrcraft

if you could only play one type of mod would you play only

if you could only play one type of mod would you play only   

51 members have voted

1. 1. if you could only play one type of mod would you play only

• mapsets
    • gameplay mods

Mapsets too.

I'm kind of a purist when it comes to video games. I like quality of life improvements, new features, and enhancements, but when things are changed dramatically at a fundamental level...

That and I wouldn't like to play the same maps for the rest of my life.

Doomworld tends to strongly favor maps over mods. Many of us don't ever use any mods at all. So it's probably no surprise that "mapsets" is winning the vote. 

If you try this over at say the ZDoom forums you'd likely get a very different result.

Mapsets for sure and I almost always play with at least some vanilla enhancing mod, what good are the mods without the maps to play them on :p

Only mapsets. I'm not interested in gameplay mods at all. Also i don't prefer ZDoom because with all unnecessary changes (IMO) it's almost mod too.

Despite the fact that I love and play various mods, I will go with mapsets. Playing iwads gets boring after a while (even with using mods to try keeping things fresh).

1 hour ago, Bauul said:

If you try this over at say the ZDoom forums you'd likely get a very different result.

In fact I doubt that mods will get more votes even on Zdoom forums.

A better question would be more like "do you prefer vanilla or with gameplay mods?" Even tzhe most ardent "non-purist" wouldn't want to traipse through tzhe same 30 maps for decades, whilst it would be very easy for a vanilla purist to never use something they may not have ever touched anyway. In that sense tzhe situation is way more favourable to choose mapsets regardless your opinion.

As mentioned above though, I think we already know tzhe answer to tzhe 'better' question, and if I'm not mistaken there was a DW thread polling such a question, though I don't care enough to find it.

Obviously mapsets because iwads only would get so boring so fast. To be honest though the stuff that always sticks out the most in my mind are mapsets with a few gameplay or graphic tweaks. Think stuff like Strain, All Hell is breaking loose, area51, ancient aliens, or even most of my SP campaigns. It really helps a wad have it’s own identity among the crowd, imo. Not to say there aren’t thousands of great wads with no gameplay changes ofc.