Eviternity demos [-complevel 11]

1 hour ago, L9A8 said:

cl-9

How come?

34 minutes ago, ukiro said:

How come?

Sorry , it's cl -1 I think.

Edited by L9A8

so, you can make eviternity work in real mbf (2.03 dos) by building reject lumps (to avoid segfaults)

but when i attempt to playback almostmatt1's ep1ox621 tas (-complevel 11), it desyncs at map05 during jumps, not normal.

I've recently started making TAS runs of many PWADs, including Eviternity. Here's my demo files. My skill has greatly improved over few months since I've been doing this. Here's a 7z archive of all my runs so far. I have also just finished Anagnorisis. Twice. My second run shaving nearly two minutes off my previous run. It may be possible to beat 20 minutes.

Please accept this archive-Eviternity_Demos_1-25_31-32.7z

Also, check my channel on YouTube where I render out my demos using PrBoom+ in 4k.

Checked the 21:38 of Anagnorisis and it's very impressive! but I have questions =) Why is it recorded as multiplayer? And why so much plasma use after you get the bfg? You also take surprisingly long to get to the plasma but the routing seems so intricate early on that I imagine you've simply found this more efficient.

I've recorded all my runs with solo-net. Many maps have extra monsters. I checked the monster count in in Anagnorsis by launching glboom with and without -solo-net. There's two additional hell knights in the purple room that aren't there in single player. There's also the three additional boxes of shotgun shells outside. Was Anagnorisis not meant to have any additional multiplayer monsters? Many maps have additional monsters in multiplayer. Makes the run more entertaining.

The BFG takes a painfully long time to shoot and I still don't have the timing down 100% between the smash and the tracers. I only use it for really large groups of monsters, or arch-viles when I need them gone quickly.

Early on I found it more efficient to snag the rocket launcher from the purple room, race back upstairs, steal a the chaingun, race to the top use said chaingun on the captains and steal the plasma rifle they were guarding.  Then it's a race to find more rocket and plasma ammo while letting the lost souls and cacodemons disperse.

Perhaps I'll make a third run of it. Same route but optimize movement. Movement is key.

Map05 [TAS] UV-Max -Solo-Net in 2:40

The co-op monsters in the closet didn't have their ambush flag set correctly so they would never wake up. I can't believe this would slip through the testing process. Anyway, load the patch wad after Eviternity and the demo will play.

EviternityMap05-100Percent.7z

I never did a proper multiplayer item placement pass for map32 since it's so big and I was so late in completing it.

Given this was built, tested, improved, and shipped in 11 months, with two months of those being in the public, it's not surprising. Besides, nobody plays coop. (I know this statement might be hotly contested by a select few, but seriously, coop is borderline dead these days. Certainly not popular enough to justify expending numerous hours fine-tuning and testing with a fine tooth comb given how when it is actually played everyone rushes through at the speed of light anyways.)

It was hard enough to get our own development group in a coop session together for testing thanks to widespread timezones and commitments. Not many of us at all had enough time to sit there and play for 5+ hours straight and log every minor issue we found - this is made even more difficult in a coop environment as it's even easier to miss "broken" things, since no individual person is going to participate in every encounter.

MAP32 wasn't even started until two thirds into Eviternity's development cycle, so it's testing phase was especially short, and quite possibly only got one coop test session, possibly even none before the initial release.

14 hours ago, ukiro said:

I never did a proper multiplayer item placement pass for map32 since it's so big and I was so late in completing it.

Lol, it's cool. I forgot the time crunch you guys were under. I was thinking of running it without solo-net as two extra hell knights and 3 extra boxes of shells really don't account for much. I also want to pick up all the extra placed guns as I'm always running out of rockets early on dealing with that lost soul and cacodemon swarm. It's always satisfying watching a dozens of lost souls vaporise from rocket explosions, and cacodemons make perfect targets for rockets too when they're over other monsters. I'll be analyzing my last run as I'm sure that I can get that route done in under 20 minutes.

From http://prboom.sourceforge.net/mbf-bugs.html:

"The generalised line type for a door which needs all 3 keys doesn't work right, it lets you through with only the red and blue keys."

Due to this MBF bug the yellow key is not required on map 18, meaning a UV-Speed and NoMo record is basically free for anyone that cares to grab it and Nightmare is probably a lot more feasible. 

To see it with commentary, attempt 42 begins at 28:29 in the twitch video:

Edit: Twitch embeds are clearly not working well but click the little ghost dude to get to the page.

Edited by ukiro

Excellent run, had to give it a watch myself. Such a complex map and now we all know it doesn't take any keys at all to beat it.

Map 27 UV-Speed in 1:58 - evit27-158.zip

Twitch stream (shows opening the .bat, contents of .bat*, hand cam), run at 1:15:19 - https://www.twitch.tv/videos/968200523

Twitch highlight of just the run - https://www.twitch.tv/videos/968321957

*folder and demo name are evit26n since I was attempting that for a while, then started working on this and forgot to change the names, then didn't want to change it after I realized because I didn't want attempt count to reset.