Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
memes4lyfe

how to use the weapons properly in classic doom.

Recommended Posts

the pistol: ONLY used for weaker enemies and knocking back lost souls. or sniping.

 

shotgun: a general all-purpose weapon with surprisingly great range. for taking down basic foes, sniping, and very rarely, taking out 2 dudes at the same time.

 

super shotgun: only useful at close range. use it if you're close to a tough enemy.

 

chaingun: used in sweeping motions to clear entire rooms of enemies. or for interrupting attacks.

 

rocket launcher: it explodes. simple as that. use it it you're far away from a tough enemy.

 

plasma gun: has an extremely high rate of fire. useful for suppressing (quickly dispatching) any foe. i can't think of a specific purpose for it, so just use it if you don't want to deal with a threat.

 

chainsaw: "grabs" onto enemies and deals continuous damage while interrupting enemy attacks. useful for enemies with a high pain chance.

 

fists: the basic melee weapon. use it just for fun, or if you have a berserk pack.

 

the BFG 9000: kills everything everywhere. use it to either clear out large rooms, or to get rid of an enemy you REALLY hate. or for boss battles.

 

unmaker: just the plasmagun, only it does more damage. use it if you don't want to deal with a threat.

Edited by memes4lyfe : i needed to space it out.

Share this post


Link to post

im talking about weapon uses that are CONVENIENT and PRACTICAL and COMMON. not tips so specific that you'll never use them on most maps. yes, you can make "choke points" with the plasmagun, but that really limits it's use to a select few maps. its mainly used whenever the player feels like it, and is primarily just a secondary power weapon. and the chaingun for sniping? you'll get more damage from a shotgun from long distances than a single bullet. you'll only use it for big crowds.

and the strategies for most weapons are not really usefull, because they are for specific situations so that you'll never use them. at least for me anyways.

Share this post


Link to post

The pistol and the fist are  the best ways of dealing with switches that can be only activated by shooting.
Oh, the plasma gun has double base damage than the chaingun, so it's one of the best way to deal with 100+ monsters that is running for you (in case you don't have a BFG and you are standing close to them).
The RPG is also kinda like the SSG, but  1/4 of the base damage is used to be 'splash damage', it has a quicker fire rate than the SSG, and it can be used for sniping stuff. Also good in case you want to pistol-starting next map in a legit way.

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, memes4lyfe said:

im talking about weapon uses that are CONVENIENT and PRACTICAL and COMMON. not tips so specific that you'll never use them on most maps. yes, you can make "choke points" with the plasmagun, but that really limits it's use to a select few maps. its mainly used whenever the player feels like it, and is primarily just a secondary power weapon. and the chaingun for sniping? you'll get more damage from a shotgun from long distances than a single bullet. you'll only use it for big crowds.

and the strategies for most weapons are not really usefull, because they are for specific situations so that you'll never use them. at least for me anyways.

Well good for you then. Was just trying to give ideas if you ever wanted to do a lot more with the game.

Share this post


Link to post

I'll never figure out what I'm doing wrong with the BFG when dealing with a Cyberdemon.  I always get as close as I can while the gun is firing and sometimes it only takes 2 shots, but most of the times it takes like 4.  The Spider Mastermind on the other hand always only takes 2. 

Share this post


Link to post

My strats.

Fist: Don't bother unless you got Berserk, and then box anything that's not a Cyberdemon, Spiderdemon or has a weird hitbox (Arachnotron, Mancubus) if you're good at dodging.

Chainsaw: Cut down lesser opponents like possessed humans and Imps to save ammo, sometimes risky against Pinky demons if they get off a bite but just hang back with it. Can be great against Cacodemons and Pain Elementals but that's about it.

Pistol: Tap to maintain perfect accuracy at distant foes when Chaingun isn't available, gun down Zombiemen, and lone Shotgun Guys, Imps and Lost Souls in a pinch. Finish off a weakened foe with this if they survived the Shotgun (Imp, Pinky demon) to save shells for it.

Shotgun: Imp fodder, otherwise Lost Souls and Pinky demons. Can be used in a pinch against really anything that isn't overly strong e.g. tougher than a Baron of Hell but make sure you got a lot of shells to cover expenses.

Super Shotgun: The great equalizer, nothing you can't really shake a couple of metal tubes and a stick at, just mind the doubled shell usage, large spread and slower rate of fire. Can be used in a pinch against Cyberdemon and Spiderdemon if all else fails, but come prepared with plenty of ammo.

Chaingun: Tap for distant foes/ultimate sniping weapon, chews through possessed humans like paper, effective at stun locking high pain chance monsters in a pinch but otherwise wasteful against most enemies above Lost Soul strength when you could be using shells instead.

Rocket Launcher: Like an SSG if it was faster, had area of effect damage and range as far as the eye can see. Comparable killing power to the SSG but more effective at demolishing crowds of weaker enemies and dishing out the pain against stronger ones. One would think it was OP if it wasn't for the fact it can hurt you!

Plasma Rifle: Emergency weapon that's good to have out when exploring suspicious new ground and you get jumped. Highest rate of fire and DPS in the game that's suitable for any adversary, but there's a better weapon still...

BFG 9000: Use at point blank to maximize power output, one-shotting Barons of Hell and destroying the Cyberdemon and Spiderdemon in 2-4 shots, saving cell ammo in the long run compared to the costly Plasma Rifle. Fire near walls and objects in front to reduce travel time of projectile and vaporize lesser hordes with the powerful tracers.
 

Share this post


Link to post
On 2/15/2019 at 1:24 AM, memes4lyfe said:

im talking about weapon uses that are CONVENIENT and PRACTICAL and COMMON. not tips so specific that you'll never use them on most maps. yes, you can make "choke points" with the plasmagun, but that really limits it's use to a select few maps. its mainly used whenever the player feels like it, and is primarily just a secondary power weapon. and the chaingun for sniping? you'll get more damage from a shotgun from long distances than a single bullet. you'll only use it for big crowds.

and the strategies for most weapons are not really usefull, because they are for specific situations so that you'll never use them. at least for me anyways.

I honestly prefer Kira's explanation of the correct use for weapons. He/she actually gives correct information that not everyone knows (like the BFG use) instead of your original post where you kinda just give the most simple use that everyone who has played Doom more than once already knows.

 

Also, if you read the Chaingun sniping use he/she described you can tell it's a CONVENIENT, PRACTICAL and COMMON use. And it's NOT ONLY for big crowds.

The BFG may not be practical or common but it's good to know it for sure (I had no idea about it), and with practice you can make it become practical.

 

Sorry for being this honest but your reply was kinda unnecessarily rude for someone who just tries to contribute to your topic.

Share this post


Link to post

use the big fat shotgun for BIG BADDIES

 

use the chaingun for small baby baddies that aren't close

 

use the plasma ryfol for stuff you want to make dead fast

 

use the bfg for lots of MEDIUM SIZED BADDIES

 

all other weapons are thrash!!1!1

Share this post


Link to post
On 2/14/2019 at 11:24 PM, memes4lyfe said:

and the chaingun for sniping? you'll get more damage from a shotgun from long distances than a single bullet.

 

Have you ever sniped with the chaingun? It's infinitely better than using the shotty from long range.

 

1 hour ago, SirJuicyLemon said:

I honestly prefer Kira's explanation of the correct use for weapons. He/she actually gives correct information that not everyone knows (like the BFG use) instead of your original post where you kinda just give the most simple use that everyone who has played Doom more than once already knows.

 

Also, if you read the Chaingun sniping use he/she described you can tell it's a CONVENIENT, PRACTICAL and COMMON use. And it's NOT ONLY for big crowds.

The BFG may not be practical or common but it's good to know it for sure (I had no idea about it), and with practice you can make it become practical.

 

Sorry for being this honest but your reply was kinda unnecessarily rude for someone who just tries to contribute to your topic.

 

Amen to that!

Share this post


Link to post

SSG: Good for crowds of weaker enemies, because a single blast takes down most of them. 

 

SSG: Good for tougher enemies, because its blast is just so god damn powerful. 

 

SSG: Good for the weakest of the weakest enemies, because fuck them! 

 

SSG: Good for everything else, because it just sounds so awesome.

 

Wait... there are other weapons, too?

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, Maser said:

I'll never figure out what I'm doing wrong with the BFG when dealing with a Cyberdemon.  I always get as close as I can while the gun is firing and sometimes it only takes 2 shots, but most of the times it takes like 4.  The Spider Mastermind on the other hand always only takes 2. 

The trick is a bit tricky, no pun intended. Trying to keep the angle at which you shot your bfg ball in mind to be perfectly perpendicular to the cone of damage, as you are sticking to the cybie, should help as you practice this.

 

In "real" situations you'll tend to mess up anyway due to nerves, map geometry and I guess RNG. I found that a lot of the time complementing the two shots with a single point blank SSG shot is enough.

 

Edit: Now I remember how I managed to have a consistent BFG output at the beginning: try to move just what's necessary as you are facing the cyb to keep a decent alignment, it should help until it sticks.

Edited by Kira

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, Lila Feuer said:

My strats.

Fist: Don't bother unless you got Berserk, and then box anything that's not a Cyberdemon, Spiderdemon or has a weird hitbox (Arachnotron, Mancubus) if you're good at dodging.

Chainsaw: Cut down lesser opponents like possessed humans and Imps to save ammo, sometimes risky against Pinky demons if they get off a bite but just hang back with it. Can be great against Cacodemons and Pain Elementals but that's about it.

 Pistol: Tap to maintain perfect accuracy at distant foes when Chaingun isn't available, gun down Zombiemen, and lone Shotgun Guys, Imps and Lost Souls in a pinch. Finish off a weakened foe with this if they survived the Shotgun (Imp, Pinky demon) to save shells for it.

Shotgun: Imp fodder, otherwise Lost Souls and Pinky demons. Can be used in a pinch against really anything that isn't overly strong e.g. tougher than a Baron of Hell but make sure you got a lot of shells to cover expenses.

Super Shotgun: The great equalizer, nothing you can't really shake a couple of metal tubes and a stick at, just mind the doubled shell usage, large spread and slower rate of fire. Can be used in a pinch against Cyberdemon and Spiderdemon if all else fails, but come prepared with plenty of ammo.

Chaingun: Tap for distant foes/ultimate sniping weapon, chews through possessed humans like paper, effective at stun locking high pain chance monsters in a pinch but otherwise wasteful against most enemies above Lost Soul strength when you could be using shells instead.

Rocket Launcher: Like an SSG if it was faster, had area of effect damage and range as far as the eye can see. Comparable killing power to the SSG but more effective at demolishing crowds of weaker enemies and dishing out the pain against stronger ones. One would think it was OP if it wasn't for the fact it can hurt you!

Plasma Rifle: Emergency weapon that's good to have out when exploring suspicious new ground and you get jumped. Highest rate of fire and DPS in the game that's suitable for any adversary, but there's a better weapon still...

BFG 9000: Use at point blank to maximize power output, one-shotting Barons of Hell and destroying the Cyberdemon and Spiderdemon in 2-4 shots, saving cell ammo in the long run compared to the costly Plasma Rifle. Fire near walls and objects in front to reduce travel time of projectile and vaporize lesser hordes with the powerful tracers.

Well, the Chainsaw is also useful against the Arachnotrons and sometimes Mancubuses.
The Plasma Gun, is an ideal choice against the Cyberdemons/ Spiderdemons, if you don't have a BFG yet.
I agree with you in everything else of your strats.

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, TheNoob_Gamer said:

Well, the Chainsaw is also useful against the Arachnotrons and sometimes Mancubuses.


Only in G/ZDoom IIRC because the hitboxes were changed, otherwise Berserk would work on them also.

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, Lila Feuer said:


Only in G/ZDoom IIRC because the hitboxes were changed, otherwise Berserk would work on them also.

It's a blur but I think you have to berserk mancubi in SoD map21? I remember feeling very miserable there with PrBoom+.

Share this post


Link to post

Sounds like that would be a pain yeah, I haven't played Speed of Doom yet. Note that it's not impossible to hit baby spiders and fatsos with the fist, but it's definitely harder in non-G/ZDoom ports.

E: I should've emphasized based on your post but yes, infinite height w/ rockets is a viable strategy, demonstrated beautifully in Ult Doom's E4M3 in the red key area from above.

Share this post


Link to post
23 hours ago, -TDRR- said:

use the big fat shotgun for BIG BADDIES

 

use the chaingun for small baby baddies that aren't close

 

use the plasma ryfol for stuff you want to make dead fast

 

use the bfg for lots of MEDIUM SIZED BADDIES

 

all other weapons are thrash!!1!1

lel. that's accurate.

Share this post


Link to post

okay, so, here is a better strategy for weapons.

 

fist: use it if you're bored.

 

pistol: use it for weak baby enemies of for fun.

 

shotgun: use it go make baddies go dead.

 

SSG: use it to go pew-pew on big boys.

 

chaingun: use it to make lots of people go dead.

 

rocket launcher: use it if you want to die.

 

plasmagun: use it to make big boys make dead fast.

 

bfg: use it to be a big cheater get in trouble with the UN because it's "unfair"

 

unmaker: go pew-pew to make died.

Share this post


Link to post
On 2/13/2019 at 1:40 PM, memes4lyfe said:

the pistol: ONLY used for weaker enemies and knocking back lost souls. or sniping.

 

 


 

shotgun: a general all-purpose weapon with surprisingly great range. for taking down basic foes, sniping, and very rarely, taking out 2 dudes at the same time.

 

super shotgun: only useful at close range. use it if you're close to a tough enemy.

 

chaingun: used in sweeping motions to clear entire rooms of enemies. or for interrupting attacks.

 

rocket launcher: it explodes. simple as that. use it it you're far away from a tough enemy.

 

plasma gun: has an extremely high rate of fire. useful for suppressing (quickly dispatching) any foe. i can't think of a specific purpose for it, so just use it if you don't want to deal with a threat.

 

chainsaw: "grabs" onto enemies and deals continuous damage while interrupting enemy attacks. useful for enemies with a high pain chance.

 

fists: the basic melee weapon. use it just for fun, or if you have a berserk pack.

 

the BFG 9000: kills everything everywhere. use it to either clear out large rooms, or to get rid of an enemy you REALLY hate. or for boss battles.

 

unmaker: just the plasmagun, only it does more damage. use it if you don't want to deal with a threat.

 

 

Hellbent's guide to proper weapon use:

 

Fist: great against slow, weaker enemies and demons/specters when berserk, for saving ammo. Correct use: move in quickly, jab, move out quickly so as to not get bit or scratched by enemy. When punching revenants, move in, wait for him to start punching you before quickly moving out so that he doesn't get you; it's very important to get him to attack with his fists rather than his fireballs when attempting to kill him with your fists; so you must get him to swing at you by staying up close. As soon as he starts to swing, backpedal as fast as you can after landing your blow. Do not try to punch a revenant while it is moving, as you will likely miss.

 

Chainsaw: use against weaker monsters and monsters with low painchance such as cacodemons and arachnatrons. When attacking an arachnatron, use coverage to get close to the monster and then quickly ambush it: get the chainsaw up in its grill before it has a chance to blow you to smithereens with its powerful plasma gun. Can also be used against pain elementals, but only if you have a good sense of how long it takes to kill one: be ready to backpedal right as it dies, so that you don't get burned by its progeny. 

 

Pistol: use when trying to conserve ammothe shotgun blast didn't quite kill the imp etc.: pull out the pistol to finish it off. Can be used to sniper weak enemies. First fire is more accurate so "tapping" is best use for sniping, rather than holding down the trigger.

 

Shotgun: Use on all mid-tier and weaker monsters and at range on any monster.

 

Super shotgun: Great for use at close range on the toughest monsters (except cyb and spidey boss) and for taking out hoardes of weaker monsters. Weak at mid-range and basically useless at long range attacks. Note that the Super shotgun delivers more damage per shell than the shotgun, so once you have the Super shotgun, you should only use the shotgun for bringing your ammo back to an even number and for targets at range. The Super shotgun is your bread and butter for most enemies and situations; it's the ultimate weapon for hell knights, pain elementals, cacodemons and revenants when fought in reasonable numbers. 

 

Chaingun: Ideal against hoardes of weaker monsters (no tougher than demons/specters) and monsters with poor pain chance like cacodemons and arachnatrons. Use it to make imps do the chaingun cha-cha. Good at long range. Weak against hoardes of tougher monsters (a bit futile on map16 of doom 2, for example, during the outdoor firefight). First fire is more accurate so "tapping" is best use for sniping, rather than holding down the trigger.

 

Rocket Launcher: Read all safety precautions before use. Great for clearing pockets of tightly packed enemies (weaker ones included), especially on ledges, such as in the second part of Nirvana of Doom 2. Deals out a lot of damage very quickly, so it's good for taking out large, tough, slow moving targets like mancubi before they can wreak too much havoc. Weak against Arch-viles and other fast moving, skinny targets (like revenants). Weak at long range due to its relatively slow projectile movement. Do not use the rocket launcher in tight quarters (duh). Great for using in slaughter maps.

 

Plasma Rifle: Great in tight quarters when overwhelmed by mid-tier and tougher mobs. A bit wasteful to use against low-tier mobs; save them for the chaingun. Weak at long range. Best used at close and medium range. Great for using in slaughter maps.

 

BFG 9000: Use against Cyberdemons, Spider Masterminds, barons of hell, mancubi, revenant and cacodemon clutches. Also good for clearing out a room or area when monster congestion is reaching critical mass (regardless of monster-tier). Carefully read instructions before use. Do not fire the BFG while circle strafing, as it will do less damage (and potentially no damage at all). You must be squarely facing the target when the projectile hits. The closer you are to the target when the projectile hits, the more damage the weapon will do. You can fire the weapon before your target is in view, so long as your target is in view when the ball of super-plasma hits the target or another object (you do not need to hit the target directly, but it will do more damage if you do). Correct use is to take cover, pull the trigger; wait for the weapon to spool up, when the projectile is about to blast free, move out from coverage and squarely face your enemy, do not face him at an angle or start strafing away from him. You have to time it so the super-plasma ball moves away from you perpendicularly and hits the target directly across from the point at which the projectile leaves the gun (not at an angle). This is very important in order to deliver maximum damage (which is extremely high when done right). Best weapon for use in slaughter maps.

 

When using the weapon in deathmatch, to counter the speedy movement of your opponent, you often want to shoot the projectile into the wall or pillar you are taking cover behind, and then quickly move into view of the enemy. This tactic, while delivering less damage, will allow you to deliver damage to your opponent immediately upon coming into view of them, which is generally more effective than trying to deliver max damage (which is generally overkill due to the relatively low hitpoints of marines). The BFG takes quite a bit of practice to master in DM. In certain circles, firing the BFG at the ground is considered improper use: consult your fragmates before each DM match on proper BFG use etiquette. 

 

Note that proper use of the BFG gets much better value from cell ammunition than the Plasma Rifle, so once you have the BFG, you should only use the plasma rifle when trying to get out of a jam. 

Edited by Hellbent : added revenant clutches as good targets for BFG

Share this post


Link to post

Those are pretty good: I do use pistol all the time after a bad shotgun impact, and the chaingun is lovely with high pain chance enemies indeed.

Share this post


Link to post

@Hellbent It's true, like the shotgun, the plasma rifle is relegated to a very specific role once the more powerful shell/cell option is available.

Share this post


Link to post

I avoid prescribing weapon-monster pairings because everything is situational. E.g. RL vs. pain elementals might 'look' risky but it could very well be the best option in a particular setting if RL DPS dwarfs available options and you need to kill bunches of them fast. Someone who uses SSG on a single zombie instead of switching to a pistol (heh) might 'look' like they are wasting ammo, but the map has a comfortable excess, then no reason not to. 

 

Harder maps will constrain your options and force you to do 'counter-intuitive' things more often. And in easier maps that allow you more freedom, there often won't be much of a difference between the effectiveness of different options anyway. Or you might still be constrained by macroscopic factors (e.g. 'wasting' shells on something because you have lots of those but fewer bullets) rather than the specifics of whatever you are fighting at the moment.  

 

A few BFG tips in response to common 'mistakes', since it's the most nuanced weapon to use well:

 

- Circle-strafing naively (while always facing the horde) indeed can be wasteful, but a modified approach is often very effective -- to fire the ball itself, you should momentarily flick your view at the proper angle (somewhere opposite the direction you're running), so that the direction of tracers ends up properly centered at the crowd. 

 

- Understand how much BFG ammo you are allowed to waste in a given map. The natural tendency is to hoard or at least use cells reasonably, but if you're playing a BFG spam map, such conservationism, which can be 'natural' for most people, will often bite you. Holding down M1 for an entire fight vs. momentarily stopping can often be the difference between a fight being easy and pretty tough.

 

- Don't stop moving in the middle of a frantic firefight waiting for your ball to impact a distant wall to kill that vile or whatever. Just write that one off as a loss and fire another shot.

 

On 2/17/2019 at 7:52 AM, Hellbent said:

You must be squarely facing the target when the projectile hits.

 

The BFG emits a cone emanated from the player in the direction the ball was fired. It doesn't matter where you are looking -- you can even fire tracers from your butt if you shoot in one direction and then turn around 180 degrees. 

 

On 2/17/2019 at 7:52 AM, Hellbent said:

The closer you are to the target when the projectile hits, the more damage the weapon will do.

 

Yes, when speaking of a single target, since more tracers will hit that target. When dealing with a larger number of monsters (low- and mid-tiers), you often want to hang back just far enough for the tracers to hit enough of the targets, with how far depending on the number.

Edited by rdwpa

Share this post


Link to post
On 2/15/2019 at 9:45 PM, elend said:

SSG: Good for crowds of weaker enemies, because a single blast takes down most of them. 

 

SSG: Good for tougher enemies, because its blast is just so god damn powerful. 

 

SSG: Good for the weakest of the weakest enemies, because fuck them! 

 

SSG: Good for everything else, because it just sounds so awesome.

 

Wait... there are other weapons, too?

 

For this reason alone I sometimes like not putting the SSG in my maps, as it encourages more varied use of the other weapons.  The SSG is just so useful at almost any encounter (what other weapon would you happily use on an Imp as much as a Cyberdemon?) that as long as there's ammo it eclipses almost everything else.

Share this post


Link to post

Yep, it is indeed my favourite weapon and if I don't run out of ammo, I will use it for almost all the encounters. So either put it in at the veeery end (treat it like a BFG actually) or severly restrict the ammo. Which is not so nice for the ordinary shotgun, which also has its uses I guess.

It's a pity. You'd need two different ammo types to balance out the SSG.

Share this post


Link to post

I feel like the chaingun is (In my opinion) the most underrated weapon in doom. Its great for picking off low-tier enemies at long range, decent for crowds of low tier enemies, but do you see the pattern here? Its really only good for imps and former humans, sergeants etc. Otherwise the SSG is op.

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, rdwpa said:

Someone who uses SSG on a single zombie instead of switching to a pistol (heh) might 'look' like they are wasting ammo, but the map has a comfortable excess, then no reason not to.


This is true, but more often than not I am conservative and paranoid in new surroundings and am unsure how generous or strict the mapper is with distributing ammo, so I opt for ammo conserving tactics as it's just a good practice to have. If I see an excess amount of [x] ammo though, I know I can get away with using [x] weapon more than is probably needed, then I can just max it back out again before moving on.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×