Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ribbiks

Finely Crafted Fetish Film [7 puzzle maps for boom]

What little I've played so far is cool and avant garde, and reminds me a little of Bauhaus.

The abandoned city of MAP01 is quite evocative of a surreal Escher space. The puzzle elements are logical and fair, though I think the checkers puzzle should have a reset switch.

The abstract symbols that drive MAP02 look good, but are a little problematic. I think this stuff works better when the symbols used are quickly identifiable and easy to memorise.

Before I try it, were you per chance under the influence of Jim Flynn? Ribbiks x Jim Flynn is something I've been dreaming about on and off since replaying his maps :-D

Took a quick look at some levels. MAP01 had too many enemies when I wanted puzzles :) MAP02 with the symbols was pretty cool, though I think Urthar makes a good point since I started getting tired of running back and forth to the symbols to remember what was where (might play it with a pen/paper next time). MAP03's barrel mechanic seems cool too. Look forward to having some time to really sit down and play this.

these maps are intense and incredible :) superstar stuff really

thanks for including my tunes in these works of madness

On 2/14/2019 at 10:26 AM, Urthar said:

I think the checkers puzzle should have a reset switch.

I fruitlessly tried to concoct one while building the mechanisms for the buttons, but couldn't get it to work -.-. I shall look into this further though because I definitely would like to have one.

On 2/14/2019 at 10:35 AM, Kira said:

Before I try it, were you per chance under the influence of Jim Flynn? Ribbiks x Jim Flynn is something I've been dreaming about on and off since replaying his maps :-D

I very much enjoy Flynn maps, and other purveyors of doom puzzles as well ;D. though most of the content historically referred to as puzzles in doom pwads didn't really meet my expectations (as far as requiring critical thinking or taking advantage of the doom engine's "kinetics"), which was a big part of my motivation for making this.

It took me ~3 hours to finish MAP01, in three sessions. I will think twice before attempting other maps.

Only after exiting I allowed myself using Doom Builder. Still, it took me ages to figure out how to get the BFG, and it is necessary in order to get quite a few secrets.

Great map, I guess I could max it except sector 138. Why is it tagged secret and is it reacheble at all? I guess yes, with some crazy jumping technique, but I can't do it.

Ah, the checkers puzzle. 

Spoiler

I didn't like it and I don't get it. I mean, computer map and all, but why leave two of the tiny pillars up? Equally logical solution would be to lower only these two. Also, "white" and "green" I could only distinguish with DoomBuilder, when playing the map they both show up as candles I think? Or do they change after triggering something? 

2 hours ago, vdgg said:

I guess yes, with some crazy jumping technique, but I can't do it.

yeeup, my mantra for this wad was: a reasonable/average player should be able to exit the maps, getting 100% will require niche skills or studying it ahead of time. (best of luck if you dare attempt the secret content in m02!)

2 hours ago, vdgg said:

Ah, the checkers puzzle. 

Yes this is bad and I apologize :p. I'm reimplementing this particular area such that it will have a reset button, and that it will accept the "actual" answer, instead of the complement of the correct answer.

Re: colors: there are two differently colored candles, aye?

Umm... level 01 looks amazing. Really enjoying it; though falling off the ledge gets kind of annoying after awhile (will upload an FDA in a couple hours). 

3 hours ago, Hellbent said:

Just curious, is this some sort of subtle, understated way of saying "looks amazing" or do you honestly think it looks "pretty good"? I guess I'm still puzzled (no pun intended) why Eviternity is a shoe in for a cacoward when projects like this and Lost Civilization exist.

Goodness knows the Cacowards are criticized on a regular basis for their blatant anti-Ribbiks bias.

I wonder if your energy would be better directed at making logical arguments about why the wads you like are good rather than blind assertions about judging that hasn't even happened yet.

Also this mapset looks neat, Ribbiks. Looking forward to playing it!

MAP01 UV Max. Slow, but since the map will be updated anyway...

Killing the cyber with plasma is unnecessary (telefrag after), but I wanted to be extra safe in case of screwing up the jump to the BFG.

Clueless at the end, I think I heard that arch-vile, if not, I would have forgotten to kill it.

Comments welcome regarding what can be done better, faster or safer.

fcff01-1503.zip

FDA for MAP04, successful! (I have FDAs for MAP01-03, much less successful; in fact, on MAP03 I didn't even leave the first area with 3 switches). At this one has *** (three stars). Go figure.

fcff04-fda-4019.zip

I picked the last map instead: liked how every distinct sections have also distinct gameplay with my favourite area being the tech-base e1 style one (this kind of visuals works very well with the creepy and surreal setting of the level imo), where I enjoyed the key hunting. Also liked the big fight on the YSK area with the last wave of cybs and viles in that small environment. 

Low life cybers are just amazing; I'd like to try to use them too tbh ^

Updated the wad. same download link: http://www.rbkz.net/doom/fcff.zip

changes:

Spoiler

- hntr has been nerfed across the board, to bring it in line with what I originally had in mind but was too lazy to implement as of initial release
- m01 checkers switches have been reworked as described in this thread
- m03 opening room has been simplified
- some ugly areas have been made prettier
- some pretty areas have been made uglier
- various minor things that no one will notice so what's the point in listing them
- filename unchanged for maximum inconvenience

On 2/21/2019 at 8:08 AM, Paul977 said:

Low life cybers are just amazing; I'd like to try to use them too tbh ^

The idea was born out of a playthrough of Beesong actually, where I found myself wishing the second half of each cyb-centric encounter didn't take as long (i.e. ssging it down after it had served its purpose). I imagine you could probably do some interesting things with them :)

Edited by Ribbiks

There is a HOM effect here on Map 07 after coming back from the YSK area (GL/PrBoom-plus 2.5.1.5). That aside, it was highly entertaining, and I think I spent about four hours over a couple of days to complete it.

Spoiler

Triggered every secret (even that non-secret invul) except for the three plasma guns in the RSK side? I sometimes can't tell whether these things are actually attainable or not :P

My favorite puzzle was this.

This made me feel stupid.

White to capture -> green to capture? Some numbers. A multiplication of one number from one line by another from the other, I guessed, but I did not find any clue what the desired total is, so I just bruteforced through trial and error, and after discovering the solution this way I still have no idea why it is the solution.

32 minutes ago, Gez said:

White to capture -> green to capture?

It's admittedly kind of clumsy that you can get to those switches before encountering the clues about what they correspond to. It's not a good or clever puzzle by any means, just a cute optional thing I tacked on for the odd ducks out there who might be familiar with (or able to deduce) checkers move notation ;D

MAP01: enjoyed it, except for that checkers puzzle. I did find the clue quite a bit after.

MAP02: enjoyed it a lot. Neat little puzzle.

MAP03: the beginning is really harsh, with that cybie ambushing you right after you get out of the first puzzle. After managing to cross that hurdle, which took a lot of reloads, enjoyed the rest.

MAP04: probably my fav, really cool puzzle. Only found the scrolling floors annoying, perhaps if they were slower.

MAP05: another great puzzle with these colored columns. I got stuck on the red key puzzle until I figured out that I was trying to do it in the wrong order, after changing which switch pillar I tried to reach first it was easily solved. Note that there are two places where you can get stuck if you fall between the pillars, perhaps put a little teleport switch there?

MAP06: the huge monster count made me wary. Ridiculously few puzzles (just an optional one to get one of the skull keys, if you can count "luring a baron to a door" as a puzzle) but a really horrible arena fight. After spending a couple hours getting turned into a skeet pigeon for revenants and cyberdemons by archviles, I just idbeholdved my way past that section because fuck it. Just, fuck it. Then there was another revenant spam situation a bit later, but that one was more tolerable.

MAP07: a monster of a map, though honestly I have no idea how to complete it. I found the blue and red keycards and I can exit it with about 1% kill, I found how to get the yellow keycard but no idea how to get there legit (without jumping or no-clipping into the nukage zone), I found some secrets (including the red keycard) thanks to the automap highlighting action lines with no idea how to tell that a spot on the floor is supposed to be activated so I'm not sure I got it in the order I was supposed to get it. It's confusing, but more in a Hexen switch-hunting way than in a puzzling way: I don't know what I'm supposed to do and where.

Overall, I like the aesthetics and the puzzles, but the last two maps I find more frustrating than entertaining.

2 hours ago, Gez said:

MAP03: the beginning is really harsh, with that cybie ambushing you right after you get out of the first puzzle

UV makes a bad first impression in a few maps which is why I definitely recommend hmp or hntr for a first playthrough. skill 2 in the most recently posted version was hit pretty hard with the nerf bat to make most of the combat a non-issue.

2 hours ago, Gez said:

MAP04: ... Only found the scrolling floors annoying, perhaps if they were slower.

Ya! I thought about having them be slightly slower on the lower skill settings, I'll do that.

2 hours ago, Gez said:

Note that there are two places where you can get stuck if you fall between the pillars, perhaps put a little teleport switch there?

this was ""fixed"" in the most recent version I posted via damaging floors. teleport switch sounds like a chill solution though, more in line with the atmosphere of the map.

2 hours ago, Gez said:

MAP06:

Yeeup. the star ratings I posted were partially a joke, and partially to let players know what to skip if they wanted puzzly things and not monstery things. my previous comment about UV also applied here.

cheers on gettin' through everything ;D

On 2/24/2019 at 3:40 PM, Ribbiks said:

The idea was born out of a playthrough of Beesong actually, where I found myself wishing the second half of each cyb-centric encounter didn't take as long (i.e. ssging it down after it had served its purpose). I imagine you could probably do some interesting things with them :)

I would actually really like to use these in some things in the future as well most likely. Loved how they functioned in Magnolia and was wondering if it would be cool to use them in stuff.

Also let's all talk about this for a while:

image.png.d23084f8a7a5c4a2ee9c3dc0b4ee88a5.png

Edited by Nirvana