Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Brock

How can i replace the chainguns firing sound ?

Question

5 answers to this question

Make a backup of the wad you're using before doing all this, as I'm not that expert and I could be pointing you to the wrong direction, but this should work:

First of all, put your custom sound into the wad or pk3 you're trying to edit. If you're not using any mods, create one from scratch.

Then in the SNDINFO archive, define the sound you just added. For example, if your sound is named FIRECHAIN write something like

"weapons/chaingunfire FIRECHAIN" without the quotes.

Then, find to the chaingun actor definition and look for its "Fire" state. There, find the "A_playsound" commands, and overwrite them with "weapons/chaingunfire" where you see the pistol sound. If it's the vanilla chaingun, it should be "weapons/pistol". After editing it, should look like something like this:

TNT1 A 0 A_PlaySound("weapon/chaingunfire", 1)

2 minutes ago, Grey_Wolf said:

Wouldn't this change the pistol sound as well? Maybe it's better to make another separate custom sound just for the chaingun, define it, and then edit it into the weapon's DECORATE states. It's a longer solution but I think that's what he's looking for.

But what should i type in Decorate ?

The chaingun uses the same sound as the pistol

i'll tell you how to replace the pistol sound

use a wad editing tool (like SLADE), make a wad file, put your custom sound inside the wad file, rename it to "dspistol", done.

also, if you want the sound to work in vanilla, you can convert the sound to doom format using slade.

Wouldn't this change the pistol sound as well? Maybe it's better to make another separate custom sound just for the chaingun, define it, and then edit it into the weapon's DECORATE states. It's a longer solution but I think that's what he's looking for.

On 2/14/2019 at 4:47 AM, Finnthemapmaker said:

How can i replace the normal chaingun firing sound with a custom one?

http://gunlabs.blogspot.com/2011/03/tutorial-adding-your-own-sound-effects.html

This will answers your question about what to type in DECORATE.

And check out his sound mod ww-drla-sounds-2016-Sep-23.pk3,

you'll find it in Weasel's Mods.

Spoiler

Comparison of original chaingun sound and then the sound from ww-drla-sounds

Edited by Kappes Buur