Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Barefootstallion

Polyobject Doors and Sound-Blocking

Namely, I can't get them to block sound.  Help?

I am using polyobject markers 1 and 8.  I am marking all of the lines of the polyobjects to block sound.   Sound still gets through, though.  Am I missing something?

Using the latest version of GZDoomBuilder in UDMF format.  I could sure use some advice here.

Your standard sound-blocking line needs 2 lines to block the sound, which gets past the first line unhindered.  However, in UDMF, there is a new line special that blocks sound with just 1 line.  Also, every possible path for the sound, however serpentine, has to be blocked, or the sound will find its way through.

5 hours ago, whirledtsar said:

Make sound-blocking lines in the area where the polyobject actually spawns in.

Thanks, whirlstar!

The trouble with that solution, while it is a solution, is that it will block sound whether the door is opened or closed.  I am hoping to make polyobjects behave like vanilla-Doom doors in this respect - when opened they allow sound through.

1 hour ago, Empyre said:

Your standard sound-blocking line needs 2 lines to block the sound, which gets past the first line unhindered.  However, in UDMF, there is a new line special that blocks sound with just 1 line.  Also, every possible path for the sound, however serpentine, has to be blocked, or the sound will find its way through.

Oh yes, I know, Empyre.  Thank you, though.  I've checked and double checked my work for just this possibility.  It is indeed the polyobjects which are letting the sound through, no matter what I do.