Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
asd1994

Executing decorate file if it detects another file being run

Question

I've been working on a simple compatibility patch for my mod that will work with Brutal Doom. All it does is repace some of my mod's custom weapons with their Brutal Doom equivalents. I've gotten this to work as a separate was file and running them together, but I would like to have it included in my mom's pk3 file and have it disabled. When it detects that Brutal Doom is also running, it will activate. I'm having a lot of trouble finding information on how to do this. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Edited by Skully Boots

6 answers to this question

I think this might be pretty difficult, at least using basic DECORATE or ACS.

Decorate files are loaded when the game first starts.  Using ACS to detect whether Brutal Doom is present is possible, but such ACS scripts only run once a map is loaded, after the Decorate files are added.  Given your mod is a weapons patch, you'd need to create some kind of Decorate file that contains both the BD patch versions and the normal versions of your weapons, and then an auto-running ACS script dynamically switches out the basic weapons for the BD patch ones once BD Things are detected. 

Given you're not that familiar with ACS, it might just be easier to provide a "Brutal_Doom_Patch" wad in your zip and just tell people to load that if they're running BD.

On 2/16/2019 at 7:57 PM, Skully Boots said:

I've been working on a simple compatibility patch for my mod that will work with Brutal Doom. All it does is repace some of my mom's custom weapons with their Brutal Doom equivalents. I've gotten this to work as a separate was file and running them together, but I would like to have it included in my mom's pk3 file and have it disabled. When it detects that Brutal Doom is also running, it will activate. I'm having a lot of trouble finding information on how to do this. Does anyone have any suggestions?

So I don't have exactly the answer to this , but there is a zdoom thread when they talked about a code to detect if some brutal doom actors where loaded (to break the game in that case)  I figure that you could edit that to load or replace your stuff instead of it when it detects it:

https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=47578

1 hour ago, Dude27th said:

So I don't have exactly the answer to this , but there is a zdoom thread when they talked about a code to detect if some brutal doom actors where loaded (to break the game in that case)  I figure that you could edit that to load or replace your stuff instead of it when it detects it:

https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=47578

I know pretty much nothing about working with ACS so all the code that was provided is a complete mystery to me. I'll see what I can do tho, so thanks for the suggestion.

On samedi 16 février 2019 at 11:57 PM, Skully Boots said:

All it does is repace some of my mom's custom weapons with their Brutal Doom equivalents. I've gotten this to work as a separate was file and running them together, but I would like to have it included in my mom's pk3 file and have it disabled.

You're a terrible son-or-daughter. What is your mom going to say if she knew that you prefer the Brootal Doom weapons to those that she made for you with love? Do you want to make her cry?

12 hours ago, Gez said:

You're a terrible son-or-daughter. What is your mom going to say if she knew that you prefer the Brootal Doom weapons to those that she made for you with love? Do you want to make her cry?

Mod* :/

55 minutes ago, Bauul said:

I think this might be pretty difficult, at least using basic DECORATE or ACS.

Decorate files are loaded when the game first starts.  Using ACS to detect whether Brutal Doom is present is possible, but such ACS scripts only run once a map is loaded, after the Decorate files are added.  Given your mod is a weapons patch, you'd need to create some kind of Decorate file that contains both the BD patch versions and the normal versions of your weapons, and then an auto-running ACS script dynamically switches out the basic weapons for the BD patch ones once BD Things are detected. 

Given you're not that familiar with ACS, it might just be easier to provide a "Brutal_Doom_Patch" wad in your zip and just tell people to load that if they're running BD.

Yeah that's how I currently have it set up rn. I just thought it would be more convenient to have the patch applied automatically within the main PK3 instead of having to manually add it to the load order. You're right, it would be easier just to leave it like that so I'm gonna stick with it. Thanks for the info tho, I really appreciate it.