Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hellbent

I reached DB2's limit?

Question

I am building a massive tower. In order to see the whole tower, I made the surrounding area of the map as big as DB2 would let me (making the map smaller until it would save). Now, when I add a high lindef funky looking catwalk into the map, it won't build the nodes:

Unable to build the nodes: The nodebuilder failed to build the expected data structures. The map will be saved without the nodes.

However, when I delete said funky catwalk, the nodes build fine and the level plays fine. Here is a video of the map with the funky catwalk. The funky looking catwalk is towards the bottom of the map:

So my question is, why won't the nodes build?

3 answers to this question

If the nodebuilder fails it's not a limitation of DB2, since the nodebuilder is not an integral part of DB2. What nodebuilder are you using? My guess is that it fails to build the blockmap. It looks like your map exceeds 32768 unites on the y axis. Try to get below that limit and see if it works.

Thank you! Resizing the map fixed the problem. But it's a bit mysterious to me that adding the catwalk caused the nodebuilder realize that it was out of range (it was by a few thousand). In fact, it's still out of range by 512, yet it now saves.

I'm no blockmap pro, but I assume that the additional linedefs that needed to be referenced pushed the offset of the later blocks out of the addressable room.

[edit] you might want to try a different nodebuilder, like ZokumBSP. Considering that most of your map consists of empty space it should be possible to "compress" all those empty blocks into a single one.