Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Maser

What Enemy Makes You Most Vocal?

We have had threads for our favorite enemy and also for our least favorite enemy.  How about now for the enemy that makes you the most vocal when talking to your monitor?  For me it's easily the Demons/Spectres.  I always find myself saying to my monitor "walk fucking straight!" 

Arch Viles obviously. I am like "Oh no!!!" every time I see one.

Other enemies don't make me sh*t myself nearly as much, including revenants.

Do custom enemies count? Because all stock monsters are my dancing partners. But the evil marines from Scythe 2...

Just now, Kira said:

Do custom enemies count? Because all stock monsters are my dancing partners. But the evil marines from Scythe 2...

I liked dueling with them after I figured out their attacks :D.

1 minute ago, seed said:

I liked dueling with them after I figured out their attacks :D.

I have a trauma from when they ambush you at the end of a large map D: But yeah they can be fun by themselves.

- When a sneaky spectre discretly approaches to me while I'm fighting hordes of enemies with my rocket launcher.

- When I must kill a mancubus while I'm still invisible.

- When I get hit by a stray rocket from a cyberdemon which was infighting with other monsters.

- When a demon manages to bite me whereas I'm chainsawing it.

The determination goes up when I see Shotgun Guys, Chaingun Guys, Mastermind, Revenants, Arch Viles and the Cyberdemon. I relax when facing Hell Knights and their cousins, Caocdemons and Fatsos or just throw some rockets at weak enemies from a distance.

the venomous green cacodemon that appears in a lot of ZDoom levels tends to make me laugh really loud

and when there's a big bunch of mancubi ala MAP12 I tend to mimic their attack sound

man-gu-ba-re!

hitscan mostly, soldiers, shotguys, chaingunners, spider masterminds and archviles. I normally play with a mod that gives their weapons projectiles so they're not as annoying.

The random spectre that appears out of nowhere to block the player's movement when he needs it most is a classic one lol

Spectres in the dark, probably.

Archviles are always a shocker, of course, but the adrenaline tends to focus me, and initial instinct is to get as close as possible with the SSG.

EDIT: Oh, and chaingunners of course. Especially when used in unfair traps. coughEvilutioncough

The occasional sneaky Cyberdemon placement that catches me totally off-guard and blow me away, leaving me basically with my jaw wide open.

And if we're including custom monsters, have you ever played NewDoom Community Project II? Well, that project included a custom monster referred to as "The Slomnibus" which is basically a very fast, zigzag-pattern exploding mini-Cacodemon which looks terribly terrifying and makes some of the scariest sounds I've ever heard in a video game. Those things scares the mickey out of me. Yikes!

Interestingly enough it is actually the Bruiser, they are the one enemy in Doom I'm actually worried about fighting so I end up getting vocal in a panic, I only noticed when a friend I was streaming BFG Edition to picked up on it.

Bruiser.jpg.e2c5a8e4b203110f3ff20ae0eff52491.jpg

I suppose the Archvile counts, as a classic enemy, whenever he turns up in a wad he's usually met with "please no".

2 hours ago, Fuzzball said:

Unexpected Cyberdemons for me- moreso because "Oh HELLO THERE"

That reminds me of a wad where you turn a corner (or is it teleport?) and you see in front of you a wall with a Cyberdemon texture.

Kudos to whoever knows what I'm semi-remembering

16 hours ago, Roofi said:

- When a demon manages to bite me whereas I'm chainsawing it.

Oh good God yeah!  Especially if the hit you take is a critical hit!

Definitely unexpected cyber demons. They are huge, always have the chance of killing you instantly, and are especially frightening in wads that place them in tight corridors. Even in open areas they can keep me on edge during fights. Nothing like whipping around after a big slaughter fight only to just barely graze a rocket you weren't paying attention to. That feeling of instant, unexpected tension is unmatched, and naturally I get vocal in situations like that.

Usually it's either spectres or side effects of the game:

"NOT TODAY BLOCKMAP, NOT TODAY"

"THANK YOU RNG, ALWAYS A FRIEND..."

"STOP BOUNCING OFF THE WALL"

"WHY ARE YOU STILL ALIVE?!"

"HOW DID YOU DIE SO SOON!?"

"LEAVE ME ALONE YOU PIECES OF SHIT"

I'm a sweetheart.

Someone beat me to it, but getting hit and losing 80% health from a Revenant, especially when from a homing missile you were sure you got rid of. Even with you have armor, I cringe when I look at how much health and armor I lost knowing it would've been the full 80 without any armor.

Also, on occasion, getting hit numerous times in succession by a Shotgun Guy.

I continue :

- When you want to attack an arch-vile infighting with other monsters from a long distance and it redirects his attack against you at the last second.

- When a pain elemental invokes thousand lost souls just to kill an enemy.

- When you want to take a lift but an enemy deals you damage from above because of infinity height.

- When a cyberdemon shoots a "fourth" rocket while you are attempting a 2 BFG-shot.

- When you shoot a cacodemon and he goes very far way and you have to wait for him to come back.

- When a revenant bluffs you by firing a rocket instead of punching you.

I tend to yell "just fucking die already" at lost souls because sweet Jesus those things just will not die sometimes.

On 2/18/2019 at 3:37 AM, Rimantas said:

I never talk while playing. I express my feelings by actions in game.

I tend to blow myself up with the rocket launcher as a method of relieving anger...