Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
-TDRR-

Randomized Rougelike map - v3

What's this? Well, it's a randomly generated 8192x8192 units map filled to the brim with monsters, weapons and ammo!

You need to hunt down 3 keys, along with just shooting the heck out of everything you can find along the way.
After finding all 3 keys, go back to your start point, which has a key-locked teleporter in it. Might be pretty hard with the massive map layout!

While this is currently for Zandronum, ZDoom versions 2.7.1 onwards and GZDoom 1.8 onwards, Odamex and ZDaemon compatibility is being worked on.

DOWNLOAD!

But wait, there's more!

Features:

Spoiler

It can:
-Pick one of 5 themes, which are: Green techbase, Wooden house, Cavern, Blue stone castle and Doom Builder STARTAN kit!
-Work with almost any mod
-Work in Zandronum, for those intense randomly-generated co-op experiences

It can't:
-Vary sector heights (Technically it can, but not in a coherent, playable way)
-Work for Deathmatch (Not like you would want that in such a big map)

It will eventually:
-Work with Odamex and ZDaemon (It already does, but the map is always the same) (Almost done)
-Include a digger map generation algorithm
Probably something else, suggestions?

Changelog:

Spoiler

v3: 15/4/19

-Bug fixed: Keys don't get stuck in walls anymore

v1: 17/2/19
-Objective added: Hunt down keys to unlock the exit teleporter at your spawn position
-Completing a level generates another
-Framerate improved in Blue stone castle theme, and also in general
-Makes bigger maps now!
-Monster spawning is a bit less overkill

v0.5

-Initial Release

Screenshots:

Edited by -TDRR-

This is a neat idea. I wonder if you cancelled it or not, but here are some advises :

- the number of monsters and items are too absurd. It would be better if it creates only 200~300 enemies and don't scatter the weapons all over the place.

the size of the map can be smaller, too.

- if possible, adding some progressions in the monster spawns like only spawning zombies and imps in the first level and then add stronger monsters in the later would be good.

if these two things are improved, it can be a great time waster.

On 4/14/2019 at 10:44 AM, Hijongpark said:

This is a neat idea. I wonder if you cancelled it or not, but here are some advises :

- the number of monsters and items are too absurd. It would be better if it creates only 200~300 enemies and don't scatter the weapons all over the place.

the size of the map can be smaller, too.

- if possible, adding some progressions in the monster spawns like only spawning zombies and imps in the first level and then add stronger monsters in the later would be good.

if these two things are improved, it can be a great time waster.

Not cancelled, but instead i have been making it into a full game which is basically a 3D realtime rougelike. Still, this will recieve updates as i get more ideas and stuff.

1- I will probably reduce the amount of monsters a bit, however this is meant to be quite difficult, so use CustomDoom to tweak the difficulty when needed. Weapons will likely stay the same, as there's occassions where the map only has a RL and SSG at the very end so lowering weapon spawning even more would make it brutally hard.

2-Unfortunately, that would require copy-pasting the same map again, which is messy. Even if i were to find a way to do it, this is meant to be just quick-play and then drop it, so it's pretty boring to have to finish a couple levels to start seeing stronger monsters.

Thanks, I'm looking forward to the improvements and your roguelike project. It would be great to play roguelike in doom if it's done well.

I agree with your answer about 2), if it was suppossed to be a quickplay enjoymemt I think it's better to meet all monsters from the start.

but I found a fatal problem - sometimes I can never find any keycards.

one time I found the blue keycard inside the wall by using IDCLIP. It feels like this glitch occasionally happens when I can't find the keycards.

Also the map is too big to explore all which is an another reason why I think the map should be a bit smaller.

Edited by Hijongpark

2 hours ago, Hijongpark said:

one time I found the blue keycard inside the wall by using IDCLIP. It feels like this glitch occasionally happens when I can't find the keycards.

That bug was already fixed but i forgot to update this link. Redownload, now the fix is up.

About the extremely massive maps, well that's kind of the fun behind this in online multiplayer, jump into it with 8 players and the magic starts! However i suppose i can add an option to close off half of the map, which should help exploration.

26 minutes ago, -TDRR- said:

That bug was already fixed but i forgot to update this link. Redownload, now the fix is up.

About the extremely massive maps, well that's kind of the fun behind this in online multiplayer, jump into it with 8 players and the magic starts! However i suppose i can add an option to close off half of the map, which should help exploration.

Glad you fixed it ! If that option is implied, this map would be perfect.

I'm currently enjoying it with the combination of mandoom.(http://users.zoominternet.net/~tain/ManDoom/)

Here's more suggestions :

1: Is it possible to make the enemies to act by the player's gunshot ? For some reason, the enemies who are not facing the player don't react after hearing the player's gunshots.

2: How about placing a super armor instead of ammo bag from the start, and decrease the number of the medikits spawned in the dungeon ? Not having the ammo bag would encourage the player to search for the weapons and ammos more frequently, and getting only one super armor with less medikits would encourage the player to beat the map as fast as possible, because the game will get harder when I lost the armor. Roguelikes have a kind of time limits like hunger or spawning dangerous enemies.