Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MeetyourUnmaker

Half-Life 1 or Doom 1?

So what do you guys think did the concept of invasion in a military base in a superior way of it? So we know Doom 1 is a classic and Half-Life 1 is more linear but Half-Life 1 has a lot more memorable sequences, soundtrack, sound effects, pacing, and every major event is shown through first person through freeman so its always immersive.

It's funny this topic came up because I was thinking about that today. If we are talking about making the same concept real, then yeah HL was a treat. Imagine being Carmack and seeing the initial scenes, then the continuous world experience. Considering that, you can easily imagine the thought process that led to Doom 3 existing.

Edited by Kira

Half-Life expanded on what Doom showed you could do and made an actual story out of the game. That is its main contribution to the evolution of FPSes, since up until then, most of them were "You are <Insert Name Here>, go and kill your enemies."

After all, the gun is good.

Kinda unfair to compare this when one game wasn't even trying to do it in the first place.

Its like asking between Doom and Duke3D, which one had the better one-liners.

Half Life 1 has a much better soundtrack you say? Well that may be quite subjective.

Overall yeah Half Life has better effects, graphics, sequences, story etc. But that's almost comparing a Horse and a Car in a race. Horse could still be damn amazing but it's unfair to race it against a Ferrari imo. It's just too outdated.

As for concept, by far Doom is still truly unique, beyond Half Life. We are talking about world merging of Demons, Aliens and Humans and it did something like this first. I don't know if that justifies it as superior but personally I would give more praise to Doom for it.

Edited by Chezza

Let's say someone remade Half Life's levels for GZDOOM almost exactly

the way they were in the original game and I'd say on a pure level design standpoint HL would beat DOOM,

but IMO DOOM beats it in every other point.

Music, weapons, gameplay, SFX.

I love Half Life but I can't put it above DOOM in those regards.

17 minutes ago, wheresthebeef said:

Kinda unfair to compare this when one game wasn't even trying to do it in the first place.

Its like asking between Doom and Duke3D, which one had the better one-liners.

Doom, of course.

I mean, "Rip and Tear?" Hello?

5 hours ago, MeetyourUnmaker said:

...Half-Life 1 has a lot more memorable sequences, soundtrack...

i dunno, theres only like 2 songs i remember in half life, while on the other hand i know every doom song like the back of my hand. and ive played HL1 pretty extensively.

Half-Life was an incredible and immersive experience unlike anything else in 1998, but in 2019 I'm still playing Doom for fun and only touch the original Half-Life out of nostalgia. It's apples and oranges though, it's comparing an arcade-style action romp to a more cinematic story-driven one.

I never played Half-Life, but I probably should. Apparently it was responsible for an era of FPS games that were very linear in design; almost like corridor shooters again. This happened during my college years and I actually stopped playing video games during that period. But they were probably bad copycats of Half-Life. I recently played Bioshock which is pretty linear and I enjoyed it, so I will probably enjoy Half-Life if I give it a chance.

I never finished Half Life but I enjoyed the atmosphere and story. I liked the concept but eventually the fact that I wasn't playing Doom kinda made it hard to push through some of the puzzles. Yeah, this game is cool, but I'm just kinda getting tired of the sneak/military approach to gameplay. I wanna blaze through demon infested halls at a bajillion miles an hour with simple and straightforward gameplay approach! Eventually I just stopped playing midway through and went back to ol' reliable Doom. There's only a few FPSes I've finished since Doom. I played through Quake 1 twice. I played Unreal, but I think I did not get passed level 2. I played quake 2 and think I made it to level 4? I never played Doom 3. I played through Heretic shareware, but I don't think I ever bought or played the registered game. I played the shareware of Strife, but don't even think I beat the first episode, but I remember liking it. I don't remember beating Hexen, but it seems odd if I didn't. Did I only play the demo? I remember liking Hexen, but maybe not enough to buy the full game? I guess I didn't. I did play Hexen 2 at my friend's and I think I got pretty far (maybe halfway) but I don't remember ever finishing it. I think I got about halfway through the first level of Tomb Raider. My friend really liked MDK, but I can't remember if I beat that game. It was pretty cool; I do remember beating a couple bosses in it. I start a lot of books and don't finish them as well. I get halfway into a decent book and never finish it on the regular. It's hard for me to finish a doom wad these days. I think the most progress I've gotten in a wad in a long time is Lost Civilization, but it's pretty easy. What was the question again?

As far as graphics, art design, sound and music, Doom still reigns supreme. I never really cared for the "maturation" that the FPS genre underwent; I feel pretty much the same way about Warcraft 2. I think I completed one level of WC3 and never played WoW, but played the bejeezus out of WC2 and the expansions; love the art sound and music of that game, too. I don't think I beat Starcraft, either; didn't care for the smaller graphics.

Nope, they don't make 'em like they used to.

I forgot I also played Duke Nukem3D to its completion. Was a fun game, even if the atmosphere was a bit jokey. 

Edited by Hellbent

12 hours ago, MeetyourUnmaker said:

what do you guys think did the concept of invasion in a military base in a superior way of it?

Half-Life easily, It even introduces you to how the whole invasion thing starts and keeps you in touch with what's happening using it's variety of scripted sequences and NPCs explaining what's happening in new areas you visit or just letting you know what you should do or where you're headed. It's not even a competition.

18 hours ago, Dark Pulse said:

Doom, of course.

I mean, "Rip and Tear?" Hello?

I love the Doom 2016 take on things. Rip and tear.

I'd love to have been present at the design meetings.

"What was the most satisfying experience from the original game?"

"Watching things explode into gore after one punch."

Nailed it.

23 hours ago, MeetyourUnmaker said:

So what do you guys think did the concept of invasion in a military base in a superior way of it?

Well obviously Doom, instead of just aliens it was demons from a hell dimension. That right there tops most takes on 'gateway incident' stories. Unless you're Quake, we can always use more Cthulhu.

Also I'd wager Doom has just as many memorable sequences as Half-Life.

16 hours ago, Immorpher said:

I never played Half-Life, but I probably should. Apparently it was responsible for an era of FPS games that were very linear in design; almost like corridor shooters again.

Ironically HL itself isn't that linear.  It's more that HL was the first major FPS to heavily use scripted-sequences: large-scale things happening in the game that operated to a strict series of commands.  Prior to that, such things were relegated to cutscenes and the maps themselves had relatively limited scripted events.

It gave it a real filmic or cinematic quality that was very unusual for FPS games at the time, and it was the pursuit of this cinematic quality that pushed subsequent FPS developers down the road of more restricted, corridor-based level design.  

My zoomer genetic makeup begs for me to say half life, and I can see it being better than doom. Greater environment detail, a great campaign, and more freedom to act upon the world. The guns felt pretty unsatisfying, but to be fair, so does vanilla doom.

4 hours ago, Lila Feuer said:

Well obviously Doom, instead of just aliens it was demons from a hell dimension. That right there tops most takes on 'gateway incident' stories. Unless you're Quake, we can always use more Cthulhu.

Also I'd wager Doom has just as many memorable sequences as Half-Life.

Half-Life is very inspired by the works of Lovecraft.

5 hours ago, Bauul said:

Ironically HL itself isn't that linear.

It is though, but unlike many games that came later it's got a more convincing illusion of non-linearity because you have to take alternate routes to solve puzzles and you can backtrack even though there's never a reason to, but Half-Life is very much a straight line through the game broken up by new obstacles to overcome. What made it interesting was the puzzle solving that was often required to get passed those obstacles in a way that was more compelling and natural than the key and switch hunts of earlier games in the genre.

Half Life is more nonsense as you progress through it. At least DooM's absurd map design has the excuse of "well, Hell warped everything as it was overwriting reality in the vicinity of the warpgates". The Black Mesa facility was designed by Ivo Shandor, and constructed by Chinese laborers.

10 hours ago, Torino said:

My zoomer genetic makeup begs for me to say half life, and I can see it being better than doom. Greater environment detail, a great campaign, and more freedom to act upon the world. The guns felt pretty unsatisfying, but to be fair, so does vanilla doom.

BLASPHEMY!! 

Nah all joking aside, the only weapon that i really find to feel/sound unsatisfying is the Pistol/Chaingun. It could definitely use a meatier sound imo. But that SSG is just glorious! The regular Shotgun isn't half-bad either and you can use it for like half the game anyways if you know what you're doing.

About the topic: I like the shooting a lot better in Doom then i do in Half-Life. I think that Half-Life manages to combine elements from different genres and make them its own and in doing so it shines in a lot of areas. But i still feel that the shooting could be a little bit tighter.

I guess it doesn't really matter as everyone knows the Crowbar is the most useful weapon anyways *wink wink*

On 2/19/2019 at 6:11 PM, BLλZING_DUST said:

The gameplay and the modding scene is debatable, though.

Can you explain this? I think the Source/Goldsource modding community is pretty okay.

44 minutes ago, TheNoob_Gamer said:

Can you explain this? I think the Source/Goldsource modding community is pretty okay.

They've seen better days, to be honest, while the Doom modding community has been making mods ever since it was possible to make them. I'm not really saying that the mods for Half-Life are bad, it's just that the Half-Life modding community is more inconsistent when compared to the Doom modding community.

Also, Half-Life is dead.

11 minutes ago, BLλZING_DUST said:

the Half-Life modding community is more inconsistent when compared to the Doom modding community.

I don't even know what that means.

24 minutes ago, tempdecal.wad said:

I don't even know what that means.

inconsistent

Dictionary result for inconsistent

/ɪnkənˈsɪst(ə)nt/

adjective

adjective: inconsistent

not staying the same throughout.

"the quality of the material was often inconsistent"

Their modding community hasn't seen a TC/gameplay mod like Counter-Strike for a pretty long time, for an example. A new Half-Life TC/gameplay mod was no rare sight back then, nowadays it kind of is.

I beg to differ, there was Echoes, MMod, Brutal Half-Life. There's the upcoming Dark Matters, Raising the Bar, Dark Interval and so much more. Not to mention major ones such as Project Borealis, Borea-Alyph and Lambda and Black Mesa.

The fact that the Doom story can be summarized in 1 paragraph is why I like it so much. Just shoot shit and watch things blow up at a fast pace. It's the Michael Bay of gaming.

I've never completed Half-life 1, I started it some years ago but I left it some minutes after.

Is it a must play? I've heard a lot of people saying it is a must play.