Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hellbent

Who is the best doomer on Doomworld?

As was already pointed out (or hinted at) by others you will get very different results depending on the criteria you consider important.
Here's my unqualified opinion for several arbitrarily chosen categories:

best movement: Looper
best maxer: Ancalagon
best at Tyson: j4rio
best at performing tricks in general: Zero-Master
best at non-max multilevel speedruns (both UV and Nightmare): Zero-Master
best keyboarder: SAV88
best at playing with 300+ ping: Ancalagon
Seriously, have you seen him play? He will kick the asses of most people playing with 10 times lower pings.
best at blind play (but not necessarily the fastest): Bloodite Krypto
best at surviving difficult maps/situations in general: Ancalagon
most versatile player (would depend on specific criteria chosen): Ancalagon/Looper

As you can see, quite a few different names.
There are many other similar categories you could come up with and some of them I have no clue about (e.g. duel, ffa, vertical rocket jumping...).

10 minutes ago, Keyboard_Doomer said:

vertical rocket jumping...

I don't know for now but ToD used to be kickass at this. Also Ocelot used to be the absolute nightmare of dueling. There was this guy on ZDaemon who was dominating FFAs everyday and was number 1 in the exp rankings, BAZOOKA I think. Looks like he's been displaced long ago.

40 minutes ago, Zahid said:

Zero Master,Anclagon,J4rio 

Andy Olivera and Memfis 

Would definitely add Dime, Adam Hegyi,

and Adam Williamson to this list.

If we are talking Doom.wad and Doom2.wad only.

Edit* we are not apparently talking those wads only... lol

2 hours ago, Roofi said:

Azuruish for best TAS

I don't know if we're being serious here, but best taser is vita. Azu is a joke who makes tas demos that are barely faster than the non tas demos, and sometimes they aren't even faster.

17 hours ago, Hellbent said:

I don't like saving and loading, which pretty much means I rarely finish a map. :D 

Me neither, feels like cheating. I still almost never finish a map :P

I disagree Alexo only for the reason that I am highly competitive and feel very few people would fit the list of the best. I see it like Tennis there is probably a big 3 in speedrunning and deathmatches in the current era. For speedrunning that would limit to zeromaster looper ancalagon for example. Im fine debating those choices but my list is short. Im closer to a del potro. Have some accomplishments but my resume doesn't hold up to warrant those acolaides.

On 2/19/2019 at 1:03 PM, Hellbent said:

with the bias being towards killing stuff, because we don't want to encourage pacifist play in a competition to decide who is the best doomer!

Heresy!

Beyond mere turf protection, I do have a serious point here. I feel the quoted statement suggests a very narrow view of what Doom is about. Part of the fascination of the game is that there is so much depth of subtlety and different ways to handle all manner of situations. Merely "see monster, shoot it until it dies, move on"* is common to a lot of games, including many disposable and ephemeral modern games. To me, the "best" Doomer (if that can really be defined) is the one with the best "Dooming brain" together with the skills and reflexes to make use of it. Pacifist play (along with plenty of other categories, of course) relies on an in-depth understanding of how the monsters and the engine work at a detailed level, including facets of the game that don't apply when the monsters are lying on the ground as corpses. As examples of pacifist demos that involve phenomenal levels of skill and planning, I'll mention just two: AdamW's on pl31 and ZM's on map02.

* Which, I should clarify, is not what the best Maxes are; they often involve a lot of clever strategies, planning and execution. But so do other modes of play (look at some of the amazing Tyson demos from the last couple of years for instance - holy crap!).

Edit: and if we're doing meme posting, then Heh is the funniest Doomworlder.

I've seen an enigmatic someone who seems to go only by Mr. TAS, some of his demos are quite extraordinary: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZgVDGAt1Jg. Might even be stronger than Hi Jango.

That said, the occasional run is quite sub-par by comparison with no explanation (like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5ysdWmLNQI), seems these demos are probably cheated.

Edited by 4shockblast

6 hours ago, TheMegaKid said:

All I know is @Doomkid is the best

Thank you for the kind words, but any deathmatchers out there will know that Hugo is the best!

1 hour ago, Doomkid said:

but any deathmatchers out there will know that Hugo is the best!

That Chilean guy,  I second that XD But you're my favorite Aussie legend there @Doomkid. rip and tear!!!! and rock on mate :D

From my perspective I would probably rank Bloodite Krypto as one of the best out there. From the various disappointments of seeing him play test a map of mine a manage to survive every trap I threw at him to the seemingly top of the pile performances in the ironman competitions. Generally the most consistent player I have seen in terms of being wads and maps in one sitting.

i would also rank j4rio up there as well as another you can throw out some stunning demos.

On 2/20/2019 at 7:34 PM, Hellbent said:

He's pretty good: 

I don't like saving and loading, which pretty much means I rarely finish a map. :D 

Not the best demo of choice, but thank you. I appreciate it :D Check out my Nomo demos for Plutonia and TNT if you want to see some better demo viewing.

On 2/20/2019 at 5:43 PM, rdwpa said:

Bob9001

Aw bless you! Cheers.

Well, that NOT me for certain even through I am getting better the more I keep developing my port for Doom 3 BFG Edition

It's been a while since gggmork graced us with genius maps... or did I miss out on something since he's the most underground mapper ever?