Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dark Pulse

Project Proposal - Ultimate Doom: By The Map

Posted (edited)
On 4/19/2019 at 5:07 PM, Thedoctor989 said:

We need a better Phobo's sky, the pic now looks like a earth setting, also judging by the way the bases are, the sky should look kinda like this:

space-settlement-art-contest-phobos-base-650.jpg

with Mars being a not so close, as Phobo's is 48.34 miles or 6.86214845123795e-12 light years away (for realism)

Oh, I don't know. Here's Mars as seen from the surface of Phobos in SpaceEngine. Seems to take up a good chunk of the sky (SpaceEngine doesn't map a terribly high resolution for Phobos' surface, though so doesn't make a great candidate for skybox unless mountains get manipulated into the image):

scr00013.jpg

Agree about the focus on mapping for now, though. Haven't forgotten! Progress is slow, but still being made on Phobos Anomaly.

Posted (edited)

There's a couple other ways to get more accurate skies. SpaceEngine is one. Celestia also had a lot of really high-rez maps of Mars, I remember that, but it's a bit older and I don't know if there's any way to "land" on Phobos/Deimos (although technically you wouldn't really need to exactly land on them for background sky purposes - the tiny distance deviation would be negligible). Universe Sandbox 2 is yet another possibility. I've got access to all three of those, so I'll likely wind up making the skies at some point.

But yes, as I said, this is but a mere proposal until maps start coming in. Especially since I can't test how they'd look until at least one map from E1/E2 comes in. :P

(Also, if Phobos were 48 miles away from Mars, it'd be well within the Roche limit and be torn apart. Phobos is really about 3,721 miles above Mars.)

Posted (edited)

I would like map for this, E3M1 Hell Keep.

So is it confirmed it is Gzdoom with 3d floors?

Edited by Angry Saint

11 hours ago, Angry Saint said:

I would like map for this, E3M1 Hell Keep.

So is it confirmed it is Gzdoom with 3d floors?

Pretty much. Only way we're going to get even remotely close to some of the structures shown on the map.

Thanks for volunteering, too. :)