Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Veloth99

Is there a wad or mod to change the skin of the shotgunguy to that of a ZSpecOps?

I had already asked something similar about this enemy, but now I just want to change the look of the Sergeant to that of a special operations soldier. better even if that sprite is compatible with brutal doom 21v Rc7 (or similar). I do not want the AI of the actor to change, just change the sprite. I've been playing brutal doom 18v and I realized that it would look cool that when a projectile was approached (with the AI upgrade that was implemented in version 18) to the shotgunguy, it would look like a ZSpecOps. I would really appreciate it if you also shared with me if there is any way to add the sound of the Spec Ops of Doom 3 when they heard about your presence, you know that radio sound.

Even if you replace the ShotgunGuy sprites with ZSpecOps sprites, it will still be the shotgun guy that you see being torn apart by the Brutal Doom guy because that animation is a sprite with the Doom guy and shotgun guy together.  So, making it Brutal-Doom-compatible is out.

Making a vanilla-combatable sprite replacement would be easy.  Replacing the alert sound can't be done in vanilla without that sound also being used by the zombie man and the chaingun guy, but it is easy enough to do in a ZDoom port.  With DECORATE, you could actually replace the shotgun guy with a monster that not only looks like ZSpecOps, but also acts like one.  That would be the easiest thing to do because all the hard work has already been done by somebody else, and it is on Realm667.

I can do any of these things in well under an hour.  Which one do you want? Vanilla-compatible sprite-only, ZDoom-compatible sprite and sounds, or ZDoom-compatible whole replacement monster?

9 hours ago, Empyre said:

Even if you replace the ShotgunGuy sprites with ZSpecOps sprites, it will still be the shotgun guy that you see being torn apart by the Brutal Doom guy because that animation is a sprite with the Doom guy and shotgun guy together.  So, making it Brutal-Doom-compatible is out.

Making a vanilla-combatable sprite replacement would be easy.  Replacing the alert sound can't be done in vanilla without that sound also being used by the zombie man and the chaingun guy, but it is easy enough to do in a ZDoom port.  With DECORATE, you could actually replace the shotgun guy with a monster that not only looks like ZSpecOps, but also acts like one.  That would be the easiest thing to do because all the hard work has already been done by somebody else, and it is on Realm667.

I can do any of these things in well under an hour.  Which one do you want? Vanilla-compatible sprite-only, ZDoom-compatible sprite and sounds, or ZDoom-compatible whole replacement monster?

could you do the one that is compatible with vanilla?

23 hours ago, Empyre said:

could you please do the third one?

4 hours ago, Empyre said:

I made two versions, one for vanilla:

zscgskin.zip

and one for ZDoom:

ZSpecOpsChaingunGuyReplacer.zip

I do not know if you can fix an error with the sprite of the ZSpecOps, when it dies there is the corpse of the commando

Apart from that, I wanted to ask you how you create the wad for sprites and replacements of enemies, because, I do not want to bother you with every whim I can think of.

This community is amazing but I do not want to resort to it for such simple things.

It turns out that the ZSpecOpsMachingun has a different number of death frames from the ChaingunGuy, and also has no XDeath frames.  I fixed it with some copying and renaming.  Here it is with the same file name, so save over the old one: zscgskin.zip

I use Slade 3 to edit wads.  To make the sprite replacements, I opened doom2.wad to see what sprites I was replacing (Never make any changes in an iwad, and if you accidentally make a change, don't save the changes.), and I opened the wad with the new sprites in it.  Then, I created a new wad, made new entries called SS_START and SS_END, copied-and-pasted the new sprites in between SS_START and SS_END, and renamed them to match the names of the sprites I was replacing.  Last, I made an entry at the top named README, clicked View as Text, and put some credits in there.

On 2/23/2019 at 11:02 PM, Empyre said:

I use Slade 3 to edit wads.  To make the sprite replacements, I opened doom2.wad to see what sprites I was replacing (Never make any changes in an iwad, and if you accidentally make a change, don't save the changes.), and I opened the wad with the new sprites in it.  Then, I created a new wad, made new entries called SS_START and SS_END, copied-and-pasted the new sprites in between SS_START and SS_END, and renamed them to match the names of the sprites I was replacing.  Last, I made an entry at the top named README, clicked View as Text, and put some credits in there.

Is that possible in Android and in the GZDoom APK?

I don't know.  I have never done anything Doom-related in Android.  If you can get some kind of Doom editor, and not just a Doom map editor, then you should be able to do it.

@Gez is pretty smart and knowledgeable about Doom stuff, so he might know the answer, or at least know who to ask.

The only game I play on my phone is the browser version of 2048, I have no idea what the Android-specific hoops to jump through are.