Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mister Xiado

Flipcide.wad RC1 - A vanilla DooM 1 map that won't run in DooM.

Something has gone wrong, as usual, and it's up to you to dance between the dimensions to figure it out.

My second WAD, but started well before my first release (RE1M1), but definitely not suitable for vanilla DooM, despite using only vanilla assets and nothing that would be incompatible with vanilla DooM, other than the sheer number of linedefs that would make the game have a stroke. This is the result of me teaching myself how to create a map for DooM, dealing with its limitations, and working around them without using special techniques that only work with specific source ports.

The map is mostly linear, with optional backtracking. Yellow doors usually expedite this, and red doors are typically your reason for backtracking. I left a visual clue near the end of the map, referring to the light side's version of that room. Also there's a hidden level within this map, which I can release as a standalone level if desired, with appropriate music. I would consider the map to be light on the difficulty, as I may have left too much armor and ammunition in the map, but it's not impossible to get slaughtered. I am by no means an expert in crafting a deep and difficult singleplayer experience.

Game            : DooM
Episode/Level        : E1 - Map 1
Single Player        : Yes
Cooperative 2-4 Player    : No
Deathmatch 2-4 Player    : No
Difficulty Settings    : No
New Sounds        : No
New Graphics        : No
New Music        : No

File size        : 5,986,403 bytes
Release            : 1.0 RC1
Release date        : 20190221
Difficulty        : N/A
Tested in        : GZDoom 3.7.2
How to play        : Through the usual means. Most simply, drag and drop the WAD onto GZDoom or your preferred source port. There are no special functions in this WAD that require a specific source port or version; this WAD is just too burdensome for vanilla DooM. Jump if you like, but don't jump out of any windows. This applies to real life, as well, please.

Spoiler

cJVI3lY.png

ZaAjN4l.png

FthXEA3.png

Download (same file, different archive types):

7Z: http://www.mediafire.com/file/uu3lnhv7f4ahxqw/DooM_-_Flipcide_WAD.7z/file

RAR: http://www.mediafire.com/file/lwy63ga2w2300ab/DooM_-_Flipcide_WAD.rar/file

Edited by Mister Xiado : File typing

On 2/21/2019 at 3:13 AM, Mister Xiado said:

using only vanilla assets and nothing that would be incompatible with vanilla DooM, other than the sheer number of linedefs that would make the game have a stroke ... DooM, dealing with its limitations, and working around them without using special techniques that only work with specific source ports

As long as you don't run afoul of the limitations of the vanilla engine, it doesn't matter how many linedefs you have in your map. I suspect that translates to visplane and drawseg overflows, which is why you shouldn't call your map a "vanilla map." This is true even if you used didn't use "special techniques" to get around your problems.

On 2/21/2019 at 3:13 AM, Mister Xiado said:

Tested in        : GZDoom 3.7.2

It sounds like your map is likely limit-removing, but there's really no way to confirm that since you only tested it in GZDoom. In the future, you may want to test it in some other source ports as well.

1 hour ago, KVELLER said:

You confused your links, mate :P

Noted, thanks.

1 hour ago, Pegleg said:

In the future, you may want to test it in some other source ports as well.

That's going to be a hard no. I refuse to deal with all of that BS for what is nothing more than a one-sided expenditure of my lifespan.

Well this has been a fine adventure in the land of semantics.

It's certainly a nice map, especially considering it's one of your first attempts (judging by what you said on the OP). The only major fault I can see here are the rooms. They have some pretty cool detailing, don't get me wrong, but most of them are still squarish, which gets fairly boring and repetitive unless you know how to handle them (which isn't easy at all). Don't be afraid to experiment with weird shapes and layouts, just look at how Doom's E1 has maps with semi-believable techbases even though their layouts are utterly nonsensical.

Also, most of the door tracks in your map are missing their "Lower Unpegged" flag, so they move with their corresponding door.

The little secret level was pretty cool though, certainly unexpected :) mind if I spoil it in the Doom pictures thread?

I played this with ZRift mod, and it was awesome!

And I loved the secret Quake2 level remake hidden inside the wad! =D

Thanks for the jorney!