Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bratish

Total Sound Modification for "FreeDoom"

HQ Sound Patch for FreeDoom

FreeDoom - is very coolest open analogue of legendary Doom. Everything is beautiful in it... Except sounds. No one ever corrected him, and therefore most of players ended their acquaintance with FreeDoom just because of the low-quality sounds of monster, weapons & more. But suddenly, one day, The Boy appeared who took upon himself task - completely, from scratch, to Re-Making Sounds of FreeDoom for modern Doom ports, so that players would have Full Feling of immersion in game. And it was - Bratish, which presents the whole FreeDoom-community it's Total Sound Modification or Sound Patch for our game!

1. Over 160 sound files with high bitrate, 32-bit float and .wav format & ONLY for modern Doom-ports!
  2. In addition to standard sounds, own added sounds for main menu, monsters, some weapons and ambience!
  3. With permission of Rich Douglas, samples from his EpiQuake Sound Pak are used in Total Sound Modification for FreeDoom!
  4. Creative Commons 0 License!

Download Total Sound Modification for Freedoom

Spoiler

Credits

Independent Authors

1. Bratish
2. RiROBOT`s
3. Richard Douglas

FreeSound.org

1. GowlerMusic
2. CountryRoadFilms
3. Hybrid_V
4. duesto
5. morganpurkis
6. Marregheriti
7. MATTIX
8. 18hiltc
9. bolkmar

10. ShawnyBoy
11. inferno
12. Ekokubza123
13. HuvaaKoodia
14. Sojan

15. b0undarybreaker
16. beman87
17. IanStarGem
18. roper1911
19. Keith W. Blackwell
20. lonemonk
21. michorvath

22. David Egan

Thruly yours Bratish, The Soundman.

Edited by Bratish : Credits added

This is a presentation of old release, where the hero added pant and pain sounds, a complete set of sounds for the final boss and also DSSECRET. Also this is the last to date editing of Title Picture and the head of the final boss on a stick.

Edited by Bratish : New text

Hmm, I honestly prefer the current version of the titlepic.  Your version isn't bad but it doesn't look quite as polished; the black outlines are too wobbly.  Look at the sawblade, for example.  In the original titlepic it's circular, and even at the low resolution there is still detail visible on the edge of the razor.  In your version of the titlepic, the sawblade looks like, well, a blob, and the detail on the razor-sharp edge is gone.  The hands also lack detail/fingers, and the helmet looks skewed.

O! First response from a community representative!
This is a presentation of another old release, where sprites for hands were added, and some sounds were completely changed / improved (but the number is old at that time, 89).

Edited by Bratish : New Text

The hands are still not what I would call an improvement.  The originals look fine.  Yours are blurry and lack detail.  The animation also looks worse, because your version uses the same fist angles for all the frames, so it looks more like an arm sliding across the screen rather than a punch.  The silver ring on the arm is a nice touch, but it is skewed and asymmetrical.  The graphics need more polish to look good in-game.

Edit:  There are also issues with your HUD face edits:

STFOUCH0 - The eyebrow on the right-hand side of the graphic is the wrong color.

STFST30 - Duplicate of STFST31.

STFST40 - Nigh-duplicate of STFST41.

STFTL* - The eye on the left-hand side of the graphic is too wide for that angle/perspective.  The eyes' perspective is also off for STFTR*.

STFTR00 - The eyes are the wrong color (brown).

I see that you've also removed the bloody eyes when at low health.  I think the bloody eyes look better, especially because there's blood all over the rest of the face in those frames.

Edited by TheUltimateDoomer666

This presentation of a regular old version, in which some sounds were corrected - Trilobit’s death was improved, shotgun reload sounds were added for Jockey Zombie, pistol, shotgun and doublebarreled shotgun sounds were updated, the subject was changed and 48000 Hz stereo converted to 44100 hz mono. The graphic changes from that release were no longer made.

This is the last release to date, where there are only 9 sounds, but they are quite significant! The player's puffs were noticeably improved and replaced by places, the fireball explosion was shortened, the micro sample was added to the beginning of the zombie / snake snake sound, but most importantly, the full cybernetic roar of the Assault Tripod!

I don't think those graphics need replacement in Freedoom, but many of the sound effects would be good to include.

Not all of the Freedoom sounds might need replacement either, though. But honestly I feel that for example the original Serpentipede from Freedoom sounds funny, it would be good to replace its sounds with something a bit more scary and your sounds could be it.

However I feel the pain sounds might be a bit too long for something that would be heard quite often and in succession/overlap.

It's probably better if, when possible, the sounds made by voice come from different authors for different monsters. Because if they all come from the same voice it'd all sound too similar. So if you want it included maybe better focus on particular sets of sounds that need improvement the most rather than wanting to replace it all.

Once it's clarified which sounds are to be submitted and which don't, the origin for each individual sound file that's submitted should be clear, so the team can be precise in knowing which of them are 100% created by you from zero and which ones are done in collaboration with someone else or modifications of some other sound.

Then, they should be made into 8-bit PCM WAV format (as indicated here 32 bit might not work properly).

Edited by Ferk

Custom Freedoom edition

Freedoom - is very beautiful free analogue of Doom. Everything is superb in it... Except sounds. No one ever corrected him, and therefore most of the players ended their acquaintance with Freedoom just because of the low-quality sound. But suddenly, one day, the man appeared who took upon himself the task - completely, from scratch, to re-making the sound of Freedoom for modern Doom ports, so that players would have the full feeling of immersion in game. And it was - Bratish, which presents the whole Freedoom-community its sound patch for our game!

1. Over 140 sound files with high bitrate and .wav format!
  2. In addition to standard sounds, own added sounds for monsters and Minigun!
  3. ONLY for modern Doom ports!
  4. Creative Commons license!

Download link in Main Post

FEEL Freedoom ON THE NEW!

Is there a reason this is "only for modern DOOM ports"?  Also, do you have a credits list for where the sounds are from?

Comments:  I think some of the sound files are too loud and distorted.  DSBAREXP.wav for example is full of clipping, which can't be fixed by simply lowering the volume (because you can still hear the distortion).  I see there are gunshot samples that contain sounds of spent shell casings hitting a floor, which I think is a nice idea, but it doesn't really make sense when the player is over a liquid surface.

New Release!

With the permission of Rich Douglas, samples from his EpiQuake Sound Pak are used! Now is over 160 sound files, added (and edited) more sounds for main menu, monsters, some weapons and ambience! Download link in main post.

About for this mod

This modification is brand new sound mod for FreeDoom, which replaces absolutely the entire sound component of the game, assembled by the FreeDoom community, with the work of professional sound producer and composer Richard Douglas, the beginning sound engineer "Bratish" (the author of the mod) and other various users of the FreeSound website. All these authors, who have invested their work in this mod, gave FreeDoom the drive and atmosphere that this game never had.

In this way, there are almost all the sound aspects of the modern gaming industry - loud and brutal weapons, scary and bloodthirsty monsters, futuristic and technological doors and elevators with a significant sense of immersion in the game - all this you will find here.

"Bratish's HQ Sound Patch for FreeDoom" started in October 2018 and is still being developed, still being updated and expanded not only in terms of the sounds themselves, but also the team of authors. For example, quite recently, the project’s assistance was offered by a well-known in the gaming industry professional composer and sound producer Richard "Rich" Douglas, who wrote sounds and music for hundreds of games, both well-known and not so much. It is his samples from the "EpiQuake Sound Pak" (fan sound mode for the first Quake) that you can hear by shooting, for example, with a shotgun or meeting the local analogue of Baron Hell.

Our sound mod is best reproduced in the "GZDoom" port, but can also be connected to Zandronum, Doomsday (jDoom) or any other port that supports audio in .wav format.

How exactly did this project come about? The fact is that FreeDoom, having excellent levels, beautiful graphics and (!) Funny music, has a rather “lousy” sound design bordering on low-grade “fun wad's” for the classic Doom. As a result of this factor, FreeDoom had an amazing number of attempts to tidy up the sound in any way - ABSOLUTE ZERO. And yes, let's be honest - inside the community of this game there are people who send the lead developers two or three audio files to fill (or replace) the missing sounds, since the game actually lacks certain sounds, for example, for Elemental Pain and in such kind of But a project of such a scale as this one is not even for the classic Doom, what can be said about its free analogue ?! And, taking into account all these circumstances, the author of the mod set to work, and it is thanks to him that we have this sound patch for the not very popular game, whose main goal is to play Doom without spending money, without violating any of the points of the law "On copyright".

As result, FreeDoom fans now have a sound mod that not only fills in the gaps in the list of audio files, but also adds separate sounds for monsters, their weapons and even the main menu! Also, he brings to the game the main thing - the atmosphere. In this aspect, the authors did exactly the same as Aubrey Hodges did - this person, being id Software sound-man in 1995, when porting Doom to PlayStation 1 took an important part in the porting process... Completely rewriting the sounds and music of the cult game, than radically changed the atmosphere - from the so-called “brutal action of the nineties”, which Doom was in almost all his guises, on the PlayStation One we got almost a game adaptation of Lovecraft's stories, where the hero appears to us as a person who was lost far away from us the planet, and forced to return to their home planet, on their way collides with incredibly frightening beings beyond our mind who turned the research complex (and then the Earth itself) into the “Nest of Nightmares”, or simply “Hell” - in the most terrible sense of the word . And all this - just think - it came out because of the complete change of the sound component of the game!!! And yes, again, let's be honest - our project is still far away from this level, if only because of the lack of desire of ambient composers to write music for a free game (such is the irony of fate), but still we were able to give FreeDoom a sense of the seriousness of what was seen on the screen . Think for yourself - the game has a rather strange graphic design, which, coupled with a lousy sound, turns the laid-out concept of the game upside down, showing us some kind of showpiece or show for children. But with our mod you will finally feel that inside this seemingly unattractive game there is a huge potential that is not inferior to the original game, and in a sense even better, since since 1993 game development tools have become much better , and this means that, for example, the elaboration of levels in the game has increased tenfold compared to what we saw in the original Doom. The same can be said about most aspects of the graphics in the game - most of the textures on the levels are made with taste and do not reject the game, and only one low-quality sound spoils the whole impression. From now on, having "Bratish's HQ Sound Patch for FreeDoom" in its arsenal (the only mod currently focused on FreeDoom), this game can, for some time, show itself in the form in which it should be originally an interesting shooter with elaborate levels, colorful enemies and brutal guns. And all this - thanks to our sound fashion!

License Creative Commons 0

On 7/11/2019 at 2:14 AM, Starman the Blaziken said:

I need to take a look at this mini-mod :o

I do not know if my information will be something shocking or unexpected for You, but you are deeply mistaken in calling my work a “mini-mod.”

First, You are tricking yourself, thinking that this is another funny-mod that replaces several sounds, since in fact it is a "Total Sound Modification" - NOT humorous sound mod, which in addition to complete replacement of primary IWAD sounds also adds unique sounds for each monster, not limited to original values in SNDINFO (For example, in my mod all 3 types of armed zombies have their own set of sounds, including even sound of shooting attack, etc.).

Secondly, size of my so-called “mini-mod” is 39.6 MB, which is 1.76 times size of same “freeoom1.wad”.

I hope You (and other users) take note of this information.

1 hour ago, Bratish said:

I do not know if my information will be something shocking or unexpected for You, but you are deeply mistaken in calling my work a “mini-mod.”

First, You are tricking yourself, thinking that this is another funny-mod that replaces several sounds, since in fact it is a "Total Sound Modification" - NOT humorous sound mod, which in addition to complete replacement of primary IWAD sounds also adds unique sounds for each monster, not limited to original values in SNDINFO (For example, in my mod all 3 types of armed zombies have their own set of sounds, including even sound of shooting attack, etc.).

Secondly, size of my so-called “mini-mod” is 39.6 MB, which is 1.76 times size of same “freeoom1.wad”.

I hope You (and other users) take note of this information.

I mean it just adds sounds really, nothing... Really... Modificationy except sounds really.

New release!

25 sound files were updated in more Doom 3-style, also 1 important sound was added - blast of electric ball of Trilobite, and - for which an update was released - new sounds for Flame Bringer, which will change seeming from Red Skeleton to One-Eyed Humanoid!

Spoiler

P.S. In future we plan to completely replace sound sets for all monsters (except armed zombies). This is due to fact that we strive to give FreeDoom an atmosphere similar to Doom 3 - then game will not look like “joke-wad”.

Hi- great to see you releasing this. What are the sources of the sound effects? Did you create them all entirely yourself, nothing else reused, modified or used as a base?

For example, your mod contains replacement gunshot sounds - did you literally record these yourself with a firearm and a microphone? If not, where do they come from?

I feel like I need to call you out on a particular pattern of behavior I've seen in your comments here:

15 hours ago, Bratish said:

Thank you very much for converting sound from my mod! By the way, could you also convert rest of “Total Sound Modification for Freedoom” in same way, so that the new Freedoom release finally has normal sounds instead of old "crap”?

On 8/13/2019 at 8:28 AM, Bratish said:

P.S. In future we plan to completely replace sound sets for all monsters (except armed zombies). This is due to fact that we strive to give FreeDoom an atmosphere similar to Doom 3 - then game will not look like “joke-wad”.

On 7/17/2019 at 2:17 PM, Bratish said:

How exactly did this project come about? The fact is that FreeDoom, having excellent levels, beautiful graphics and (!) Funny music, has a rather “lousy” sound design bordering on low-grade “fun wad's” for the classic Doom.

I'll be the first to admit - Freedoom's sound effects can use some improvement, and if better sounds can be submitted which are compliant with the license, I'll happily accept them to the project.

However, the tone of the comments I've quoted here is rude and bordering on insulting. Please bear in mind, every sound effect (and every level, texture, graphic, music track, etc.) is the work of someone who, like you, sought to submit something to Freedoom to improve the project. Some of them certainly weren't professional sound engineers. The nature of the project means that it's very difficult to find professional quality sound effects which comply with our licensing terms. We take what we can get.

Freedoom's sound effects aren't the best in the world, and it's fine to criticize them, but you can make your point without insulting other people's work or comparing the project to a "joke WAD".

Thanks!

Dear friend!

I apologize for some rudeness towards creators of original FreeDoom sounds. I admit that in this respect I got a little excited. Simply in Russian community almost EVERYTHING bad reacts our project

Let's get down to business. I placed "Credits List" in main message of his topic - as I said, mainly in "Total Sound Modification for FreeDoom" use samples from FreeSound.org, so my mod definitely uses Creative Commons 0 license. I don’t know how you would react to this, but personally, I will be grateful for the use of my sounds in FreeDoom and personally from myself I give a blessing to your community.

Great! Thank you for clarifying. I tried out your mod and I really like a lot of the sounds you've used - I think it does make a huge improvement to the game. It would be great if we can incorporate some of these into Freedoom itself. As I think you noticed, Freedoom has never had someone sit down and deliberately design the soundscape of the game - it's quite like a collection of random sound effects where we've been able to fit things in. So I strongly support what you're doing - this is exactly the kind of ownership I'd love to see more of in Freedoom.

If sound effects from FreeSound.org are categorized as CC-0 then they're okay to use. However, I'd really like it if you could provide the sources on a per-sound basis - "DSPISTOL came from FreeSound at this URL", etc. This is quite important for our bookkeeping purposes - we've had people in the past accuse us of using resources without permission, so if we track the source of each sound then we can demonstrate that we took it from FreeSound.org, it was published under CC-0 there, then we can show in the future that we acted reasonably and in good faith.

The best way to submit to Freedoom is by sending a pull request to the repository on GitHub. You can find the sound effects here - WAV files in 8-bit, 11025 or 22050hz PCM format should be fine. If you're not familiar with Git or GitHub and don't care to learn then I'm happy to submit them on your behalf. Otherwise please make sure you include the sources in the commit message. There are a lot of sound effects - feel free to split into many pull requests.

Thanks and feel free to ask questions if there's anything I can do.

15 hours ago, fraggle said:

If you're not familiar with Git or GitHub and don't care to learn then I'm happy to submit them on your behalf.

Little inquiry: Do you plan to incorporate these sound-effects into FreeDoom?

Dear friend (fraggle)!

List of FreeSound-sounds I provide directly in this post. I will not forget to report that I mixed all these sounds so many times that it is very difficult to identify original.

In my opinion, you either overestimate old sounds from FreeDoom, or underestimate potential of my "Total Sound Modification for FreeDoom", if you say that you’ll take some sounds into your project. In my opinion, ALL sounds must be replaced, since they stand out from sound in my mod in terms of quality of performance. Compare at least old Trilobite and version from my mod. Or a zombie. I have seen many posts where people laugh at them, comparing them to the voice acting of Hanna-Barbara cartoons. So I insist on a complete replacement of sounds, if, of course, you are satisfied with their license.

P.S. I do not know how to use the GitHub.

Edited by Bratish

1 hour ago, Bratish said:

In my opinion, you either overestimate old sounds from FreeDoom, or underestimate potential of my "Total Sound Modification for FreeDoom", if you say that you’ll take some sounds into your project. In my opinion, ALL sounds must be replaced, since they stand out from sound in my mod in terms of quality of performance.

Sorry, I probably phrased what I said badly - please allow me to clarify. I played your mod, I really like your work, anything and everything can be replaced, provided that the replacement is compliant with Freedoom's license. There is no problem there. You want to replace every sound effect in Freedoom, we can do so. I would love to see you do this. We have no special attachment to the current sounds.

Now, here's the bad news: thank you for providing the list of samples, but the following sound effects from your list are not CC-0 licensed. You can confirm this for yourself by opening the links and checking the sidebar. They're licensed under a variety of different Creative Commons licenses, but only CC-0 is acceptable for reuse in Freedoom:

Since you said that you mixed the sounds together this may be difficult to fix. Would you be willing to go back and redo some of your sound effects so that they only use CC-0 sources? I really want to add your work to Freedoom, but as it stands, that's not possible.

@Bratish, maybe you could show the original authors your mod, explain the problem and hopefully convince them to re-release their samples under CC-0?

Just an idea, but it might be worth a shot.

I have an account on FreeSound.org, and therefore I left comments on links indicated in which I ask to change license on Creative Commons 0. I hope they give their consent.

I'm one of those freesound authors and I'm perplexed by this concept of requiring that everything be in the public domain (CC0).  Why not just include the list of contributors for the sounds that are under attribution license?  I make my stuff available for free for anyone to use for any purpose, and only require credit be given.  That's mostly so I can track how it gets used.  But to then turn around and ask me to release it into the public domain just so it can go into one game is kind of silly, IMHO.  If I had wanted it in the public domain, I would have put it into the public domain.  Sometimes folks ask if they can include it in something without attribution, and so far I've always said yes.  But that's a specific-use license that I grant to a specific user for a specific purpose, and *not* putting it into the public domain.  Can someone please explain this requirement on having only CC0 sounds?

36 minutes ago, zimbot said:

Can someone please explain this requirement on having only CC0 sounds?

I'm no expert, but it is my understanding that the CC-1 license is incompatible with the BSD license used for Freedoom. Putting your name in the credits would not be a problem, but requiring that from everyone who might want to use Freedoom as a base for their own creations would be.

Again that's just my understanding. If someone more knowledgeable comes along and disagrees, you should probably believe them and not me.

Dear Zimbot!

In any case, your answer is important to us, since for me personally to re-do what has already been around for a long time, the work is rather dreary, and therefore it is better if you replace the sound license with Creative Commons 0 so that the audio file with your sample can be used in FreeDoom.

9 minutes ago, Bratish said:

it is better if you replace the sound license with Creative Commons 0 so that the audio file with your sample can be used in FreeDoom.

Clearly it's better for Freedoom, but I don't think we're going to make any friends by demanding other people change their choices to make up for our mistakes and licensing issues.

@zimbot, I'm no legal expert, but it might be enough if you would give us permission to distribute the sounds created from your sample under the BSD license. I don't think it's necessary to re-license your source sample. Maybe @fragglewould know if that would be enough?

Anyway, it would be really nice if you would help us find a way out of our self-made mess, zimbot. If not, it's our mess, we'll have to clean it up somehow. Thanks for reading.

Is the 3 clause BSD license really incompatible with CC-BY? Because one of those clauses is the one about preserving the copyright notices, which seems to me to be Attribution. 

Copyright © 2001-2019 Contributors to the Freedoom project.

All rights reserved.

Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are met:

Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.

That is quite different from individual attribution.

Also, I just checked CC-BY:

You may not exercise any of the rights granted to You in Section 3 above in any manner that is primarily intended for or directed toward commercial advantage or private monetary compensation.

And that's definitely a deal breaker.