Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ruisu

Somebody remember this Win95 Doom comercial?

lol I think most Doomers will have seen this at some point. I love how he shoots the zombie with his finger nowhere near the trigger.

Yep. Technically it's not a commercial, but a presentation on DirectX and how it would make Windows 95 a viable platform for gaming. Before that it was better to program games for DOS because Windows 95 restricted access to hardware devices. DirectX was the solution for that and Doom was the perfect showpiece for Win 95 gaming.

I remember watching this years ago for some reason.

Obviously not at the original times (was it a commercial though? I always though it was a one time video at some convention or presentation of some kind...)

According to Masters of Doom, Alex St. John claimed this video was seized by Microsoft's PR department immediately after it was shown at Judgment Day in an attempt to make sure it never got out past that event, but somehow we have this version of it anyway.

I've never seen this full version before, only a short clip of it (mainly a bit of Bill Gates talking and then shooting the Zombieman). Funny thing is, it's so much easier to run DOS games nowadays (with DOSBox obviously) then it is to run Win95 only games so yeah...DOS lives in a way haha!

I do know that John Carmack has always liked OpenGL more then DirectX and fought for more support for it (especially within Apple/Steve Jobs) but besides id Software's games and a few others, DirectX has always outshined it (at least in the mainstream market).

Edited by CyberDreams : update

It's astonishing the lack of presence he has in this video. Also hilarious that you can hear the door close repeatedly; clearly they just looped the last couple of seconds of the gameplay.

I remember it back then. I also tried DOOM95 on my own PC. It was amazing!

23 minutes ago, wheresthebeef said:

Anyone have any idea what the 'big Doom tournament" he was referring to was?

It'd be great to see he placed something like 290/290

Deathmatch '95