Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SirJuicyLemon

How to summon monsters in Zandronum?

Sorry for this stupid, really stupid question, but how can I summon a custom monster in Zandronum (or any modern source port console)?

I've always known something about editing and stuff and I usually don't have problem with anything, but it seems that something isn't working.

If I download any custom monster and try to spawn it (as an example I use the Bruiser Demon from Realm667) in the console it says: Unknown class "BruiserDemon"

I used SLADE to check the script and the info and it seems that the class name is right but the game still doesn't recognizes it for some reason...

I've search on the forum and others but couldn't find anything like this. Any ideas?

doomsummon.png

open console:

summon bruiserdemon

If it doesn't work your mod is broken, or the way you execute is faulty. (Or some mod or script replaces the actor with something else. You need the actual actor name rather than class name, but not sure.)

edit:

Zscript stuff doesn't work on Zandronum anyway.

Edited by eviltechno

4 hours ago, eviltechno said:

open console:

summon bruiserdemon

If it doesn't work your mod is broken, or the way you execute is faulty. (Or some mod or script replaces the actor with something else. You need the actual actor name rather than class name, but not sure.)

edit:

Zscript stuff doesn't work on Zandronum anyway.

Yeah, I tried "summon bruiserdemon" and "summon BruiserDemon" on Zandronum and Skulltag's latest version and doesn't work on any of them.

Notice the edit note in eviltechno's comment. ZScript classes are probably just ignored by Zandronum.

9 minutes ago, m8f said:

Notice the edit note in eviltechno's comment. ZScript classes are probably just ignored by Zandronum.

I need to know what to do, please.

Shall I edit some part of the .wad or use another source port?

Edit: Nevermind, I used GZDoom and works perfectly. Thanks anyway.

switch to latest gzdoom. no other sourceport supports zscript (and prolly never will). so zscript monsters won't be compatible with other sourceports. ever.

Just now, ketmar said:

switch to latest gzdoom. no other sourceport supports zscript (and prolly never will). so zscript monsters won't be compatible with other sourceports. ever.

Is that so? Is there any reason behind this?

Back in the day I never had problems with Zscript stuff using ZDoom or Skulltag/Zandronum.

Back in the day, it was DECORATE and not ZScript that was being used.  There is a DECORATE version of the bruiser demon that will work in Zandronum, and still work in GZDoom as well.

4 minutes ago, SirJuicyLemon said:

I never had problems with Zscript stuff using ZDoom or Skulltag/Zandronum

that is 'cause there was no zscript. don't mix zscript and decorate -- those are two completely different things. your screenshot clearly shows zscript code. decorate code looks different.

5 minutes ago, SirJuicyLemon said:

Is there any reason behind this?

yes: no other port is gzdoom. to support zscript, sourceport must essentially became gzdoom. decorate is portable. zscript is completely non-portable.

Ohhh I see. Sorry, I forgot the name was Decorate. For some reason the name ZScript sounded familiar to me and I thought it was the typical one.

Is there any way to transform a ZScript code/file into a Decorate one?

In the wad should be a file titled "OLDCODE". Rename this to decorate and it should change to a decorate file. Zscript is outdated and difficult to work with so if you see a file called OLDCODE in a wad it's always a decorate

12 minutes ago, Customgtp said:

In the wad should be a file titled "OLDCODE". Rename this to decorate and it should change to a decorate file. Zscript is outdated and difficult to work with so if you see a file called OLDCODE in a wad it's always a decorate

Yay! I love you!

1 hour ago, SirJuicyLemon said:

For some reason the name ZScript sounded familiar to me

it was in zdoom for quite a long time, but in half-finished state. also, there is alot of talking about zscript recently (especially on zdoom forums). that is prolly why you're confused a little. ;-)

1 hour ago, DukeOfDoom said:

Pro tip: if you want to summon something, just order the console to do it.

That's what he said he tried doing

10 hours ago, Customgtp said:

Zscript is outdated

Outdated? I thought it was newer than DECORATE.

1 hour ago, ReaperAA said:

ZSCRIPT and DECORATE are different lumps.

ZSCRIPT is the current scripting language and extents what is possible with ACS scripting.

DECORATE is used to assemble new actors or change existing ones.

On 2/24/2019 at 10:16 PM, ReaperAA said:

Yeah that's just me talking with my extremely limited experience with slade and doom mods. I just kidna asumed that since most mods I found used Decorate rather than Zscript