• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
cklasick

Bridges in Doom Builder 2

Question

12 answers to this question

5 hours ago, cklasick said:

How do I create bridges in Doom Builder 2?

For which game port or for what mapping format?

Static or dynamic bridges?

You may want to use DBX instead of DB2 if for nothing else the bugfixes.

Edited by Kappes Buur

21 hours ago, Kappes Buur said:

For which game port or for what mapping format?

Static or dynamic bridges?

You may want to use DBX instead of DB2 if for nothing else the bugfixes.

I literally have no clue what you mean by mapping format and static bridges. Yeah, i know i probably need to know those, but i dont so please don't judge. I'm just trying to create bridges you can cross to get from one place to another, but still be able to walk under. Like Quake bridges, i guess. Again, sorry. I just don't know those terms nor what they are. 

He wanted to know if you make your maps in UDMF format or Hexen format or whatever else.... If you open a new file (map), you have to choose the corresponding configuration...so what was it in your case ?

Check out the Video tutorial , its well explained (in Hexen format though). Don't know what you're working on. 

3 minutes ago, 4everDoomed said:

He wanted to know if you make your maps in UDMF format or Hexen format or whatever else.... If you open a new file (map), you have to choose the corresponding configuration...so what was it in your case ?

Check out the Video tutorial , its well explained (in Hexen format though). Don't know what you're working on. 

OH! wow, i use either zdoom (doom in hexen) or just regular Doom 2. And thanks. And Im thinking on just doing a regular Doom map.

24 minutes ago, cklasick said:

OH! wow, i use either zdoom (doom in hexen) or just regular Doom 2. And thanks. And Im thinking on just doing a regular Doom map.

I use UDMF format , but I haven't done proper bridges yet, so I can't give an adequate explanation yet. You would surely use those 3D fake floors. You have to make a little dummy sector outside your map, a little triangle for instance. One of the linedefs of that triangle need an action tag, No. 160 it is...

Give that linedef a Sectortag as well. The sector(shape) you want to have as the bridge must have the same Tag ID.   

If you've done it correctly you see something like this: 

The floating object could be the part of a brigde. Adujst its height by changing the floor/ ceiling height of the dummy sector. Or on the floating object...You can walk over it and underneath... Well there are no stairs or anything connected to that "bridge" yet, it's very abstract. 

But if you're familiar with the Hexen format, watch that video... shouldn't be that difficult either..

rf.png.7fa242a2fa6bfb7f47448434868fdfef.png

3 minutes ago, 4everDoomed said:

I use UDMF format , but I haven't done proper bridges yet, so I can't give an adequate explanation yet. You would surely use those 3D fake floors. You have to make a little dummy sector outside your map, a little triangle for instance. One of the linedefs of that triangle need an action tag, No. 160 it is...

Give that linedef a Sectortag as well. The sector(shape) you want to have as the bridge must have the same Tag ID.   

If you've done it correctly you see something like this: 

The floating object could be the part of a brigde. Adujst its height by changing the floor/ ceiling height of the dummy sector. Or on the floating object...You can walk over it and underneath... Well there are no stairs or anything connected to that "bridge" yet, it's very abstract. 

rf.png.7fa242a2fa6bfb7f47448434868fdfef.png

Its better than nothing you know? thanks man

7 minutes ago, cklasick said:

Its better than nothing you know? thanks man

Good luck with your bridge ! Just try it out. If there's any trouble, ask again. 

7 minutes ago, 4everDoomed said:

Good luck with your bridge ! Just try it out. If there's any trouble, ask again. 

ok cool man thanks again

It's important to understand the differences between mapping formats and what their limitations are. Vanilla bridges are a bit more time-consuming, requiring careful attention to sector/line properties, and are limited in implementation, but are compatible with most all ports.

Contrarily, a UDMF bridge is far more adjustable, as you can create overlapping or sloped bridges (or bridges with support pillars) without much trouble, although it does result in a buildup of dummy sectors. Additionally, UDMF maps only work in a few sourceports, namely ones based on Zdoom, although (unlike Gzdoom) in Zdoom 3D floors will lack slopes.

So it comes down to which method sounds more appealing and which sourceports you want to target. 

Edited by GoatLord

5 hours ago, cklasick said:

OH! wow, i use either zdoom (doom in hexen) or just regular Doom 2.

And thanks. And Im thinking on just doing a regular Doom map.

If you want to stay with vanilla DOOM2 mapping, then have a look at these tutorials

https://www.doomworld.com/tutorials/fx7.php

https://www.doomworld.com/tutorials/fx8.php

https://www.doomworld.com/tutorials/fx9.php

On the other hand, if you decide to map for Doom in Hexen format or better still UDMF, then have a look at 3D sectors. Then even a moving bridge is possible

3 minutes ago, Kappes Buur said:

If you want to stay with vanilla DOOM2 mapping, then have a look at these tutorials

https://www.doomworld.com/tutorials/fx7.php

https://www.doomworld.com/tutorials/fx8.php

https://www.doomworld.com/tutorials/fx9.php

On the other hand, if you decide to map for Doom in Hexen format or better still UDMF, then have a look at 3D sectors. Then even a moving bridge is possible

thanks m8 really appreciate it!