Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Carnevil

Wrack: Exoverse

Thanks man!

We'll certainly try for GoG. After this next update (which is a big milestone), we'll look to branch out to other storefronts. Steam ain't what it used to be.

(Also, added some screenshots to the original post.)

I already had this on my Steam wishlist. :D I'll be sure to pick it up soon.

Nice art style, especially for the UI. Tower defense is not my cup of tea, but good luck on your launch.

looks fuckin great man (i still need to actually finish the first wrack at some point too so thanks for the reminder)

putting this on my wishlist for sure

Thanks so much man! I think you'll like both, but Exoverse is definitely the superior of the two. While we're proud of Wrack, it was our first game and a bit amateurish, and lot of what we did to set the game apart from other oldschool FPS really didn't work that well. Score, chains, and finishers were neat and all, but didn't really have much purpose. In Exoverse though, your "score" is money you can use to buy towers and items - so there's actually a point to try to mow enemies down one after another. Plus, power shots (similar to finishers in Wrack) can be used whenever you like once you've charged one up, so the whole system is much more forgiving.

Posted (edited)

https://wrack.fandom.com/wiki/Category:Levels

Still waiting on those last two episodes.

I'm sorry Carnevil, I appreciate your work in the Doom mod community years ago, but you really dropped the ball on WRACK. Combat was slow, enemies were slow, animation was jerky, and overall it wasn't enjoyable. And I bought it on greenlight on the promise that additional content was coming; I ended up with three quarters of one episode. Even the intermission artwork wasn't finished before it was abandoned.

I did buy Exoverse on Steam and refunded it after 30 minutes, because it was the exact same thing as WRACK. The weapons are boring, the enemies are poorly designed and badly animated, the levels are uninspired, and overall it's just like WRACK all over again, except in a rogue-lite environment with even less thought for level design.

I don't mean to be a dick, but it's going to come out this way. Your work on Doom mods was great. But WRACK, in both of its iterations is bad. It might have been good had you seen the first game through to the end, but it left a bad taste in my mouth because you abandoned the project without even completing the first episode; because it didn't sell as well as you thought it would. It seems like a bad idea to remake the same concept in a rogue-lite when it failed the first time.

Edited by Jello

I’m just saying, I’d love it if Carn returned to Doom mapping and modding, even if it was just little things here and there. Wrack was never my cup of tea but the Wart maps and skulltag content were awesome. I don’t want to derail too far but I just had to put it out there coming off the back of Jello’s post!

You're right - we did drop the ball with Wrack. It was our first game, and because of that, we made a lot of mistakes. For one, I thought the quality bar was high enough with what we showed for Greenlight and that'd we'd be able to press ahead with all three episodes. That certainly was not the case, and I had to go back and remake all of the levels, which set us back several months. Without any kind of financial support, we didn't have much choice other than to launch with what we had, and try cultivate further interest, which just wasn't there unfortunately. Maybe it would have been better to press ahead, rather than redo. Maybe three mediocre episodes is better than one pretty good one.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion, but the animations and enemies as a whole in Exoverse are far superior to those in Wrack. The weapons in Wrack were pretty boring, and well... think we've done a better job in Exoverse!

My biggest qualm with Wrack was skippable (ie the story). So I enjoyed it well enough to finish it. So when I heard about Wrack2 I were intrigued. But tower defence games is something I never liked to play. But best of luck to you guys. Hope for better payoff this time. 

Does this one also use Robert Prince music?

Nope. The audio is done by the folks at AK Audio. I'm pretty amazed at the job they've done, too. For instance, the music is dynamic and responds to the current state the level is in, the overall intensity, etc. and flows seamlessly from one state to another. The sounds are also dynamic and randomized to keep things from getting stale - important for a rogue-like.

We've now been in Early Access for one year, and just put out a big milestone update to celebrate! With this update, all of the existing content is 100% where we want it, so if you haven't checked the game out yet, or haven't in a while, now is the time!

image.png.cf5d04f62a8ffa3e121b52c43adab15b.png

Hey, sorry for the bump, but we're going to be having our full release next week! It's come a long way, and there's a new trailer and everything. Here it is!

(Original post has been updated, too.)

I still check back in to see what you guys are up to from time to time. I really do hope for your success in the indie market.