Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Zillah

Sharkskin... (Sharkskin1.WAD)

DOWNLOAD:

https://mega.nz/#!IiBikCiI!jv7LURXDY49nELzbJG_Ou0i6e1f7Ht2LDskJranJaTM

UPDATED:

https://mega.nz/#!M2ZnHIRK!jVNDeetLMKEEcqkdwGC7ObZhnge2R168PGho2AFue10

Hello lads. This is one of my very first maps, although it is still very good.

Its premise is that you scurry upon a broken down UAC lab faculty, overrun by hell and some skinhead re-enactors (annihilate them both). There is a leading platoon hiding behind the Theater curtain. Although, you can't kill em without a big arsenal. You need some weapons from the armory which requires a yellow skull of the damned, look out for traps on your search for it. In the middle of course is the picnic where the demonic lads have come about for a lunch break. Break them first.

Screenshot_Doom_20190225_212716.png.5a05ffc4509ca04d1ead09acc7ab682a.png

Features:

Singleplayer and co-op (co-op not advised, it makes it too easy)

A single map. No new textures or graphics. Just doom2.

Play on Ultra-Violent. Pistol start.

REPLACES MAP07.

I haven't started dehacked yet, so map07 has tag 666 which is needed to end off the level. If you don't know what that is don't worry about it. Its a special tag that activates once a certain demon is killed and works for map07 especially.

Additional mentions:
Completely from scratch, inspired by doom 2 master levels.

This is just a map using DOOM2 only. It is playable on DOOM2.exe. No need for any advanced engine or overly wacky mods. Best played like pure cut doom, straight from 1994. Any engine will work. I suggest software render as it is best for dark lighting.

No jump, no crouch, ruin a part. Freelook is fine. Best played as is, you could do other mods like Brutal doom, and if you do; chose pistol start.
Think of it as a Doom2 masterlevel wad. Pistol start, no matter what map.

Screenshot_Doom_20190225_212808.png.9db94accae85db73dcba65008e2358c4.png

I added a smooth transition into doom2's map 08. So my map still has a place if you continue onwards.

Music has been replaced for "closer.mid" a rendition of trent razors closer in midi. Its actually really good and matches well.

More info is in the .txt file. Ask or email me about anything.
Email me, the address is in the .TXT file. Honest critiques are welcome. How to we expect to improve ourselves unless we criticize ourselves?

image.png.2c9f45b05948a5b9f474d2f9fa14e762.png

Thanks to the doom community for getting me into mapping and modding, I will make more and better maps in the future. Thanks to ID and all those megawad creators who made some really good and fun stuff.

- Ziyo (Zillo pronunciado en español.)

Edited by Zillo “Ziyo”

Looks nice from the shots, especially the outdoor sections. Just a thing: the first screenshot room look a little random at flat usage, if you want to keep that way, can you lower (or make higher) a little the red flat section? So, in this way gives more a breaking effect between the two floors...

Also lower the ceiling in the room at the 3rd screenshot.

Or try something like this....

A door which disappears into the sky looks weird. Try to create an illusion of a building, a fassade at least. 

gt.png.306182420572f7de378c3c89354bb6d2.png

On the other hand, E3M1 doesn't look better. The starting point is very simple made. The doortraks aren't unpegged either, XD

wws.png.52c2d4663959844639f01124a6afcd52.png

Edited by 4everDoomed

I streamed this for you, ya got 2 weeks to watch it

Quite funny, some strange shaped rooms, demons stuck in each other etc etc

Connection is a bit poor so some of the feed goes jerky at times.

I played your map, and believe me, the first wad I ever made was even worst. I kinda liked playing this one: the starting area, the trap with the lost souls and the use of the 666 tag. You just need to perfect the outdoor areas as explained by 4everDoomed, and you'll get better, gaining more exoerience as you create more maps.

I am really happy that you doomers have checked my map out. No seriously, thank you all who read this and played it. These are excellent points and criticisms and I'm glad to have them. Now to address all your points!

13 hours ago, Walter confetti said:

Looks nice from the shots, especially the outdoor sections. Just a thing: the first screenshot room look a little random at flat usage, if you want to keep that way, can you lower (or make higher) a little the red flat section? So, in this way gives more a breaking effect between the two floors...

Also lower the ceiling in the room at the 3rd screenshot.

Thank you, although it appears you did not play my map, I understand the floor thing. I have changed it so the red floor is slightly higher and more rigid to give off a broken effect.

9 hours ago, 4everDoomed said:

Or try something like this....

A door which disappears into the sky looks weird. Try to create an illusion of a building, a fassade at least. 

gt.png.306182420572f7de378c3c89354bb6d2.png

On the other hand, E3M1 doesn't look better. The starting point is very simple made. The doortraks aren't unpegged either, XD

wws.png.52c2d4663959844639f01124a6afcd52.png

Hehe, hell yeah, E3M1 was a funny yet annoying map. Also, You really edit my map around? Thats awesome. And your building effect looks good.

Your point of creating a outside facade area with a building effect makes sense and is some great advice. It was difficult editing it around to make a building, I still did of course. I did not copy your design but believe me yours looks much better. Its harder for me to do so, but I will most certainly take that into account next time I make a map. Any editing tricks you suggest for that?

3 hours ago, dt_ said:

I streamed this for you, ya got 2 weeks to watch it

Quite funny, some strange shaped rooms, demons stuck in each other etc etc

Connection is a bit poor so some of the feed goes jerky at times.

Dt, You played the map very well. You missed only one secret and thank you very much for recording your playthrough. Can you send me a download for that video?
Also, as for the stuck monsters, that never happened for me. However; seeing it on your pc, I have gone back and made the pinky room bigger so that doesn't happen again.

3 hours ago, Kepehn said:

I played your map, and believe me, the first wad I ever made was even worst. I kinda liked playing this one: the starting area, the trap with the lost souls and the use of the 666 tag. You just need to perfect the outdoor areas as explained by 4everDoomed, and you'll get better, gaining more exoerience as you create more maps.

Excellent points. I do wish to perfect outdoor areas.

Man, you guys are the best. I'm glad the doom community is friendly (most of time) and all that nice trash.
I have updated my map where you can download the improved version here:
https://mega.nz/#!M2ZnHIRK!jVNDeetLMKEEcqkdwGC7ObZhnge2R168PGho2AFue10

I'll leave the map as is (for now), and of course start up a new map with these improvements in mind, so if you got anything else to say it is fully welcome and will be implemented in the next map. To god I go.

-Ziyo

@Zillo “Ziyo”

Welcome to Doomworld!

What port did you use to test this map (Chocolate, GZDoom, etc.)?

I haven't had a chance to play the map, but I did watch dt's stream of it. It's not a bad map, especially for an early effort. I second what has been said already. These are my suggestions to add to them:

• The demon trap early on could be bad, but something seemingly went wrong with the demons not coming out. I assume that isn't supposed to happen. I would suggest that you find a way to wake them up ahead of time (either through a sound tunnel or a joined sector), so they will come out of their closet once the wall lowers.
  • The player can just camp above the courtyard type area with the demons and SS and shoot them (at least most of them) without being in much danger. Maybe you could drop into it and have to turn a corner or something to fight the monsters, so there's more of an element of danger to the player.
  • In the green slime brick maze, the enemies are all in front of you. I suggest having some walls open behind you with monsters behind them, so that you have to face enemies both ahead and behind, thus spreading your focus.
  • The idea behind the revenant fights on either side of the yellow keycard fight is interesting, but they're somewhat minimized because you can run in, open a narrow door and back away and take them out one at a time. Yes, you have to repeatedly cross the lava to do so, but you have a soulsphere on the other side waiting for you.
  • The final fight looks like it can be made MUCH easier by just letting the monsters infight (provided you kill the archvile first).

Keep it up!

@Pegleg

I tested using Zandronum. I fixed most of stuff like stuck demons if you read my most recent reply. Yet sound tunnels is something I will look into.

Good points about the courtyard area, I gotta put the player into more immense danger. Your definitely right about the slime maze. I hadn't thought of that, adding more traps is an excellent idea and I already got a few additions in my head for it.

I will heed your words.

19 hours ago, Zillo “Ziyo” said:

.......You really edit my map around? Thats awesome. And your building effect looks good.

Your point of creating a outside facade area with a building effect makes sense and is some great advice. It was difficult editing it around to make a building, I still did of course. I did not copy your design but believe me yours looks much better. Its harder for me to do so, but I will most certainly take that into account next time I make a map. Any editing tricks you suggest for that?

I just wanted to show an example, so I made one in a hurry. It wouldn't be finished that way, it's just a first step,- there's a lot to be fixed in that area. You can also open other players wads in your doombuilder and look how they did their work. You can learn from that , too. I always peek on the Doom II wad ;-) 

Textures: you used a lot different textures , very colorful for my taste. Some textures don't seem to fit in there, especially outside. Try to create a theme for your level, area, room, whatever....  it looks far more professional. Sometimes, less is more. 

I have a map in progress, it would look like that : 

gt.png.33e079084efb2108070c71ed2d0eb7ba.png

I guess you know what I mean. 

Texture alignment: For instance, that window texture in your second picture above. It's cut off and looks ridiculous. Select it in doombuilder and press the arrow keys to move it around. Texture alignment is probably the most annoying task, I hate it.

Another tip: If you have something like this: 

ded.png.eab691db4e8854cf9d3216a752f74ec2.png

...highlight every linedef and press "A"

now, everything's in order. Very helpful.

rf.png.5551ae34826cacba661de90295ae8d90.png

Nevertheless, you have to do what you like most. It's just my opinion.