Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Not Jabba

The Wayfarer: A 9-map Episode for Heretic (April 2022, significant update to v1.2!)

@Not Jabba

I mostly found the secret exit (E1M5) on my own except the very first step - pressing the southwest bookcase in the room past the yellow door. I had to look this up and even afterward I fail to see any clue this one is usable. (The northeast case also has the same texture.) What did I miss, if anything?

Great episode BTW! :D

52 minutes ago, FrancisT18 said:

Reveal hidden contents

I mostly found the secret exit (E1M5) on my own except the very first step - pressing the southwest bookcase in the room past the yellow door. I had to look this up and even afterward I fail to see any clue this one is usable. (The northeast case also has the same texture.) What did I miss, if anything?

Spoiler

The one that triggers the secret has a lit candle on it. It's definitely hard to notice, and I'd like to animate the candle -- I'll see if it's possible to do that and still have it function as a switch.

It's definitely possible to have items that you can activate (and optionally deactivate) that also either work as a switch by themselves (running a special when directly used by the player) or are activated by a script if the player activates a line.

18 minutes ago, Gez said:

It's definitely possible to have items that you can activate (and optionally deactivate) that also either work as a switch by themselves (running a special when directly used by the player) or are activated by a script if the player activates a line.

That might be another way to handle it, though in this case it's part of the shelves texture rather than a separate decoration, so the question is, can ANIMDEFS handle a texture that animates when idle but then also animates as a switch (the candle flickers until you press it, and then you snuff it out)?

Yes, it's possible too. Remember that a switch defines two textures*, one "off" and one "on"; and then you can have separate animation definitions for the "off" and "on" textures -- and you can perfectly have an animation defined for only one of them.

* Optionally more, as seen in some of Hexen's switches.

On 2/27/2019 at 3:11 PM, Korozive said:

I have actually never played Heretic. Will this https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/idstuff/heretic/htic_v12  run on a Windows 10 laptop? 

You will need the full version of Heretic, called "Heretic: Shadow of the Serpent Riders".  It is available via Steam or via physical CD, which can be purchased on Amazon.  However, Heretic: Shadow of the Serpent Riders is currently not available for purchase via GOG.  

Yes, Heretic itself (the file you mentioned from Doomworld) will run on a Windows 10 laptop, but you will need a sourceport, such as Chocolate Heretic or Zdoom or GZdoom, in order to play it.  To play this particular Heretic wad "the Wayfarer," you'll need either version of Zdoom.

Started to play this as well, because I was intrigued and had a lot of fun so far! Just two maps in, but wow... Can't wait to see the rest.

Ah I see...very subtle...

@Not JabbaDid Hordes of Chaos X inspire you for the higher monster counts in the later levels? That's a fairly old set but almost seems it should be a forgotten classic at the same time :)

19 hours ago, elend said:

Started to play this as well, because I was intrigued and had a lot of fun so far! Just two maps in, but wow... Can't wait to see the rest.

Thanks! I hope you enjoy the rest of the episode.

17 hours ago, FrancisT18 said:

Did Hordes of Chaos X inspire you for the higher monster counts in the later levels? That's a fairly old set but almost seems it should be a forgotten classic at the same time :)

I never played it, as I wasn't interested in the combination of Doom and Heretic monsters, but Curse of D'Sparil also sets a good precedent for Heretic-style slaughter that's centered around inventory use. I think most of my combat inspiration comes from Doom mappers like skillsaw and darkwave0000, though.

RC4 is released. All known issues are fixed, so I believe this is the final build, but I'll wait just a tiny bit longer before uploading to /idgames.

Changes from RC3:

-Title and intermission screens have been added.

-The firing and impact sounds for the Phoenix Rod have been replaced with ones that sound more powerful.

-The firing sound for the Lightbringer has been replaced with a better one.

-Fixed the Tomed Phoenix Rod not making sound when it fired.

-The faux-brightmaps for weapon/ammo pickups are no longer offset incorrectly in OpenGL.

-The Keyconf lump from The Wayfarer's Tome has been added, allowing you to set hotkeys for every item in your inventory.

-Jump/crouch are disabled in Mapinfo.

-A certain secret-relevant switch texture discussed elsewhere in this thread has been animated.

-A few minor texture alignments and other fixes.

BTW did u add the sprite fixing project, widescreen status bar and dynamic lights from Wayfarer's Tome. Since this is last version before release and u haven't mentioned about these in the changelog, I thought I should mention it now.

Likewise, will u be bringing the brightmaps offsets fixes and improved sounds of Phoenix rod and Lightbringer to Wayfarer's Tome.

9 hours ago, ReaperAA said:

BTW did u add the sprite fixing project, widescreen status bar and dynamic lights from Wayfarer's Tome. Since this is last version before release and u haven't mentioned about these in the changelog, I thought I should mention it now.

Likewise, will u be bringing the brightmaps offsets fixes and improved sounds of Phoenix rod and Lightbringer to Wayfarer's Tome.

The dynamic light fixes are in (plus a couple of extra custom ones for the Chaos Serpent attacks and Red Key), but the Minor Sprite Fixing Project stuff is not. It just seemed too...er, minor...to backport from Waytome, especially since people can still load the spritefix mod separately.

The sounds and other mod-related fixes from this update will all be in the next version of Waytome. I'm just working on adding a menu option, and then I'll have an update for the mod, hopefully in a couple of days.

Congrats on the release and culmination of all your hard work making this amazing, must-play of a wad!

So I'm trying to run this and getting a fatal error when trying to run it in ZDoom 2.8pre-1701-gd786148 64-bit:

LoadActors: Load actor definitions.

Script error, "wayfarer.wad:DECORATE" line 918:
Unknown identifier 'FPF_NOAUTOAIM'
Tried to register class 'ArtiInvulnerability2' more than once.
Script warning, "" line 0:
Icon 'RKEYICON' for 'KeyRed' not found

Tried to register class 'BloodSplash' more than once.

Execution could not continue.

1 errors while parsing DECORATE scripts

It may be that the solution here is "update your ZDoom, you dinosaur," but in case there's more to it than that I thought I'd let you know.

The name of that ZDoom build makes it sound like it's a test build or something? Wayfarer is compatible with ZDoom 2.8.1 and, as far as I know, any stable GZDoom build since then (though The Wayfarer's Tome is now GZDoom-only, in case anyone's wondering). 

I believe it was the most up-to-date build available when I grabbed it however many years ago I grabbed it, possibly a beta?  In any event updating to 2.8.1 has resolved the conflict.  :)

Started playing this today after @ReaperAA told me about Wayfarer's Tome. I'm surely having fun with it, way more fun than I had with the base game which I found agonizingly boring early on.

Here's some streams for those interested :) . One thing I noticed is that the hotkeys for inventory items don't work on GZDoom 4.1.3, not for everything anyway. The hotkeys for Ovuns and Time Bombs definitely don't.

Spoiler

On 7/22/2019 at 10:47 AM, seed said:

One thing I noticed is that the hotkeys for inventory items don't work on GZDoom 4.1.3, not for everything anyway. The hotkeys for Ovuns and Time Bombs definitely don't.

Figured it out -- it's only the artifacts that are modified that aren't working (Time Bomb, Morph Ovum, Ring, Chaos Device), and the rest of them are fine. Sorry, I didn't have any particular knowledge of Keyconf -- I took it from Curse of D'Sparil, rearranged it to my liking, and probably tested a few of the artifacts that happen to work. If I end up needing to update Wayfarer for other things, I'll include a fix for this; also, I'll make sure it's fixed in the next update of Wayfarer's Tome and any future projects. Thanks for the bug report and streams!

Edited by Not Jabba

10 hours ago, Not Jabba said:

Figured it out -- it's only the artifacts that are modified that aren't working (Time Bomb, Morph Ovum, Ring, Chaos Device), and the rest of them are fine. Sorry, I didn't have any particular knowledge of Keyconf -- I took it from Curse of D'Sparil, rearranged it to my liking, and probably tested a few of the artifacts that happen to work. If I end up needing to update Wayfarer for other things, I'll include a fix for this; also, I'll make sure it's fixed in the next update of Wayfarer's Tome and any future projects. Thanks for the bug report and streams!

Well this means that I too would have to fix the KEYCONF file in my Hexen Rebalanced mod (it has a modified Disc of Repulsion in the next upcoming beta) ;)

There's a bug on E1M6 where a group of linedefs lower platform by value, and its a repeateable action so you can submerge the platform under the ground by repeatedly using it.

Spoiler

YRv8X25.png

I guess the platform was meant to rise back at some point but it never does.

Ok, thanks for catching that @Sinael. I'll do a bugfix build at some point, since I've gotten a few other minor bug reports, and I don't think anyone's concerned about demos.

Apologies for the bump, but I just wanted to say I'd beat this for the second time and this is unquestionably the best community-made Heretic release I'd ever played. The gameplay changes allow a more dynamic experience, the use of custom textures is spot on and fresh, and the way some of the encounters are set up around the use of specific items/weapons is nothing short of genius. Thank you for releasing this beauty! Perhaps one day, you'll consider making an episode 2, but I've got a feeling you've already accomplished what you wanted here :)

3 minutes ago, Firedust said:

Thank you for releasing this beauty! Perhaps one day, you'll consider making an episode 2, but I've got a feeling you've already accomplished what you wanted here :)

I'm glad you enjoyed it! Don't worry, I'm not done with Heretic yet; it's the only game I'm interested in making maps for. Although the basic gameplay mod is finished, the new content in Wayfarer is just a first stage. Ultimately, I want to create an expansion of the game's monster and item set that's similar to the way Doom 2 expanded on Doom 1, because having a lot of dynamic combat options is the only way to make a game infinitely moddable. There won't be a "Wayfarer E2" per se, but other sequels are planned.

On 3/14/2020 at 12:34 PM, Not Jabba said:

I'm glad you enjoyed it! Don't worry, I'm not done with Heretic yet; it's the only game I'm interested in making maps for. Although the basic gameplay mod is finished, the new content in Wayfarer is just a first stage. Ultimately, I want to create an expansion of the game's monster and item set that's similar to the way Doom 2 expanded on Doom 1, because having a lot of dynamic combat options is the only way to make a game infinitely moddable. There won't be a "Wayfarer E2" per se, but other sequels are planned.

Speaking of new enemies, Heretic definitely needs an equivalent to the Archvile in terms of its ability to resurrect dead enemies. 

2 minutes ago, Master O said:

Speaking of new enemies, Heretic definitely needs an equivalent to the Archvile in terms of its ability to resurrect dead enemies. 

Either that or something like a pain elemental (in terms of its ability to spawn more monsters) . 

Basically what Heretic lacks is a monster that adds combat urgency.