Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NationwideMoose

New Doomer

Hey guys I'm new to the Doom community on PC. I downloaded Zandronum for MP and Crispy Doom for SP and am really happy with both. I also started a deathmatch server on TSPG. My question is what now? What are some classic wads and mods you guys recommend for me to experience.

Well... classic WADs like IWADs, if you want the full Doom experience you should totally play Ultimate Doom, Doom II and Final Doom. The last one not that much to be honest, it isn't that big of a deal either (at least for me), it's just 2 megawads for Doom II but is quite worth playing them. There is also the Master levels for Doom or No Rest for the Living additional classic maps. Soon the Sigil of Baphomet, the 5th episode of Doom, will be released (not that soon actually, was supposed to be in mid february but will be finally released in april, I hope).

Additionally, there are Heretic and Hexen. Those are kind of Doom's brothers released by Raven software. They are focused on a more fantasy-medieval atmosphere. Heretic is pretty much very similar to Doom. Hexen takes the game beyond for a more RPG focused experience.

There is also Strife but I don't know much about it.

For classic mods, well... there are many and I guess that depends on everyone's tastes. I'm not much into mods actually, but some very famous mods that you should probably play are: Brutal Doom (+Project Brutality), Knee-deep in ZDoom, Ultimate Doom: the way Id did, Eviternity, Sunlust, Doom64 RTC. All of these are great mods worth playing.

Others are Hell Revealed, Master of Puppets and Stronghold.

If by classic you mean like old and famous mods, I guess Action Doom, Chex Total Conversion, Blood Total Conversion... I don't remember much of them.

You can check out this page for old ones, there aren't many but you might see one that you like: http://www.doomwadstation.net/main/tc.html

And totally check out the top 100 WADs list made on this very same website: https://www.doomworld.com/10years/bestwads/

If you want more info, you should check some of the Cacoawards. Every year many mods get awards in different categories so you should maybe take a look.

For multiplayer, I used to play a lot of multiplayer but now I'm kinda rusty and so I don't know what's good on nowadays' servers. But back in the day I loved to play:

-Zombie Horde (usually up to 32 players where there is one who is selected as a zombie and must infect others)

-Who Dun It? (it's like playing Clue, there is a murderer between many innocent bystanders)

-JumpMaze (many fun maps where you must straferun and jump to progress on levels with great music)

-Megaman 8-Bit Deathmatch (I never was a fan of this one but it was SUPER popular, many many people played it. You can be any of the classic Megaman bosses in a deathmatch game against others)

-Master of Puppets (one of the first I played... You can pick to be the human, like Doomguy, or to be an evil spirit or something and you can possess any of the demons, so it's fun to be a Cacodemon, or a Baron, or any demon you want to be)

-Stronghold (I never actually played it, there were too many files to download, but I think it's supposed to have many really amazing maps, full of details)

-All Out War 2 (there were like 2 bases full of up to 16 players I think and both teams should destroy each other's base, and there were a lot of weapons, even vehicles, you could earn cash by killing and then spent on reinforcements/developments for your base, etc)

-Ghouls vs Humans (another team vs team mod, you can play as humans: with several different classes like ghostbuster, archer, doomguy, etc; or you can play as ghouls, with creepers, jitterskulls, frostbites, etc)

And well, there you have.

4 hours ago, NationwideMoose said:

Hey guys I'm new to the Doom community on PC. I downloaded Zandronum for MP and Crispy Doom for SP and am really happy with both. I also started a deathmatch server on TSPG. My question is what now? What are some classic wads and mods you guys recommend for me to experience.

https://www.doomworld.com/10years/bestwads/ (100 Best Doom Wads of All Time)

https://www.doomworld.com/cacowards/ (Doom Awards for their respective years' best doom wads [or Heretic, Hexen, or Strife if warranted])

Also, purchase Heretic: Shadow of the Serpent Riders, Hexen: Beyond Heretic, and Hexen's mission pack "Deathkings of the Dark Citadel" if you haven't already.  Strife: Veteran Edition is available on both Strife (Steam) and Strife (GOG), while Heretic: Shadow of the Serpent Riders and Hexen are only available on Steam or via physical CDs (Amazon, Ebay, etc).

All of the above games have sourceports.  However, the only sourceport that supports Strife: Veteran Edition's single-player mode is GZdoom, so just be aware of that.  The GOG release also includes the original DOS Strife, which can be run in the sourceport Chocolate Strife, made by the same people who made Chocolate Doom and Crispy Doom.  

Edited by Master O

7 hours ago, Master O said:

https://www.doomworld.com/10years/bestwads/ (100 Best Doom Wads of All Time)

https://www.doomworld.com/cacowards/ (Doom Awards for their respective years' best doom wads [or Heretic, Hexen, or Strife if warranted])

To this I'll add the top 25 missed cacowards but this is more for when you have seen most of the above. This top 25 can have some really difficult wads like, you have no idea.

Wads increased in difficulty over time, though nothing prevents someone to start right at the boot camp if it's the way they roll. From time to time there are releases that go back to 90's design and difficulty too. The descriptions in these links give everything you need to know thankfully.

Also give a try to Eviternity. Its truly a work of art. Its a quality 32-map mapset released a just a few weeks ago. Its arguably one of the best(if not THE best) mapset I have ever played.

Go here: https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/103425-final-release-eviternity/

However for running this or most of the modern wads(mapsets), you need a appropriate source port. In Doom's case, there are a wide variety of source ports. Most of the source ports have removed the mapping/engine limits and added new features which were not present in the original executable.

Eviternity can be played on "GZdoom", "PrBoom+" and "Eternity Engine" source ports.

I am not sure if Zandronum can play it as I haven't tested. It definitely won't run on Crispy Doom.

Also a good thing about Eviternity is that unlike most modern wads, it is much easier in difficulty. Still it is quite harder than vanilla Doom 2. If you find doom 2 hard on UV, then I recommend you to not play Eviternity above HNTR difficulty.

In my opinion a new member should try any wad because they havent played a lot of wads. But go ahead with the cacoward winners and top 100 wads.

5 hours ago, ReaperAA said:

Also give a try to Eviternity. Its truly a work of art. Its a quality 32-map mapset released a just a few weeks ago. Its arguably one of the best(if not THE best) mapset I have ever played.

Go here: https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/103425-final-release-eviternity/

However for running this or most of the modern wads(mapsets), you need a appropriate source port. In Doom's case, there are a wide variety of source ports. Most of the source ports have removed the mapping/engine limits and added new features which were not present in the original executable.

Eviternity can be played on "GZdoom", "PrBoom+" and "Eternity Engine" source ports.

I am not sure if Zandronum can play it as I haven't tested. It definitely won't run on Crispy Doom.

Also a good thing about Eviternity is that unlike most modern wads, it is much easier in difficulty. Still it is quite harder than vanilla Doom 2. If you find doom 2 hard on UV, then I recommend you to not play Eviternity above HNTR difficulty.

I play Eviternity on Zandronum and runs perfectly I think.

Welcome to the community @NationwideMoose! I hope you enjoy your time here. :D

It depends what you're into. There's a whole range of stuff worth recommending. 

Some good wads in my opinion - Scythe, Scythe II, Struggle, Violence, Sunder, Sunlust, Pirate Doom, Hellshots Golf, Winter's Fury, Putrefier, Warphouse, Golden Souls 2, Stronghold: On the edge of chaos, and more! - You'll find a few of these require GZDoom to play, always be sure to check what source port the wad author recommends.

@ReaperAA - Thanks for the Eviternity recommendation! I can confirm that it runs on Zandronum just fine and was also design to support coop with extra weapons / ammo / etc. :)

Thanks for the welcome I look forward to it. I played my first Wad last night. One of my friends on discord is working on a megawad and we played through the first 6 levels. I was blown away and decided I want to learn how to make levels now lol. I downloaded GZdoom builder. I'm looking forward to playing these and then one day trying to make my own.

19 minutes ago, NationwideMoose said:

I want to learn how to make levels now lol. I downloaded GZdoom builder. I'm looking forward to playing these and then one day trying to make my own.

Uh oh, you're opening pandora's box! Mapping can become quite the addiction, heh. Good luck learning how to map, it's a lot of fun once you get to grips with it!

8 minutes ago, guitardz said:

o_O

I didn't want to flood-fill the list with Ed maps, so I went for newer options! :P

40 minutes ago, NationwideMoose said:

Thanks for the welcome I look forward to it. I played my first Wad last night. One of my friends on discord is working on a megawad and we played through the first 6 levels. I was blown away and decided I want to learn how to make levels now lol. I downloaded GZdoom builder. I'm looking forward to playing these and then one day trying to make my own.

That's nice to hear.

I'm not quite familiar with GZDoom Builder (I guess it implements all of the cool features that GZDoom brings to us) but I was familiar with Doom Builder 2 at least and I knew the basics for making a good solid and modern map (although I never released one but that was my own fault).

Several years ago I used to watch a Youtube Channel named Chubzdoomer who had a lot of Doom Builder 2 tutorials for almost anything you wanted and it was awesome. Very simple, straight to the point and good quality tutorials if my memory serves me well.

Having used once GZDoom builder (yesterday actually) I could see that in the basic features it's almost the same as Doom Builder 2 so it may help you to learn the basics of mapping. If you want to go all in, even through the GZDoom features, then you'll need to do some research I suppose.

But anyways, as far as my knowledge goes (I'm quite new on this forum aswell), many great and awesome mappers reside and frequently visit this forum website so you can get help in the Doom editing section.

Dragonfly for instance is the project lead of Eviternity, which, as you could already notice, it's a masterpiece of a WAD and a total must play.

Mods you should definitely try are: Smooth Doom, Colorful Hell (these two doesn't run in Zandro though, use ZDoom32 or latest GZDoom instead, but ZDoom32 is faster) DUBG (the weapon mod, fairly simple but does the job if you want a lightweight weapons mod) DUBG (the multiplayer battle royale mod, pretty neat) and D4T.

All but Smooth Doom change gameplay, so approach them carefully.

Besides the classic WADs, I personally recommend WADs like Alien Vendetta, Hell Revealed (could be considered a classic, being that it was made way back in '97), Vanguard, Ancient Aliens, BTSX and Scythe. Also, the VERY recent Eviternity is definitely worth a shot. And those are just a few among loads of great mapsets.