Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Uni

DECORATE and GZDoom miscellaneous questions

Question

Hi, I'm working on a gameplay modification from various resources that I have gathered online and I want to make use of the unique player-grin-whenever-picks-up-a-new-weapon feature. So my question is:

Is it possible to implement a sound to accompany that unique feature via DECORATE? I'm strictly talking about whenever the player picks up a weapons for the *first time*, not just picking up weapons scattered throughout.

My 2nd question is regarding GZDoom and I was wondering if it's possible to artificially further increase the 'blood' and 'flash' pickup intensity? GZDoom's red and white screen are so subtle comapred to other sourceports that it's somewhat bothers me.

4 answers to this question

6 minutes ago, Uni said:

Thank you for the response. I will definitely look into A_SetBlend and try to work on it myself but regarding the first answer, I know it sounds like I'm avoiding the hard work but everything that I have learned with DECORATE was basically reverse engineering so with that said, is there a chance you could actually write me an example or a template so I could work with that for other things? 

Either way, I appreciate your help!

Here's an example. In my mod I have it so that enemies that drop a shotgun will give you the weapon if you don't have it, and give you the amount of ammo I specify. By default, Doom gives the +DROPPED flag to pickups dropped by enemies, which halves the amount of ammo you receive from it. For my purposes, I wanted total control over ammo, so to get around this I had to make my actual shotgun pickup:

ACTOR BenelliM3S : Weapon replaces Shotgun
{
 //$Category weapons
 Scale 0.28
 Weapon.SelectionOrder 1000
 Weapon.AmmoType "ShotClip"
 Weapon.AmmoGive 6
 Weapon.AmmoUse	1
 Weapon.AmmoType2 "ShotShell"
 Weapon.AmmoUse2 0
 Weapon.AmmoGive2 6
 Weapon.SlotNumber 3
 Weapon.BobStyle "Alpha"
 AttackSound "sounds/weapons/benellim3s/"
 Inventory.Pickupmessage ""
 Inventory.Amount 1
 Inventory.MaxAmount 1
 +AMMO_OPTIONAL
 +NOAUTOFIRE
 +NOEXTREMEDEATH
 +IGNORESKILL
 States {
	states go here
	}
}

So if I pick up a shotgun placed on the map, I'll get it with the right amount of ammo. I also had to make a dummy pickup that enemies would drop:

ACTOR BenelliDummy : CustomInventory
{
	Inventory.PickupSound "SGPUMP"
	Inventory.PickupMessage ""
	Scale 0.28

States
    {
    Spawn:
        BENE Z -1
        Stop

Pickup:
        // If you have a shotgun, go to HaveShotgun state, and give four shells.
        // If not, give shotgun.
        TNT1 A 0 A_JumpIfInventory("BenelliM3S", 1, "HaveShotgun")
        TNT1 A 0 A_GiveInventory("BenelliM3S")
		TNT1 A 0 A_Log("\cGYou Got the Benelli M3S.")
        Stop

HaveShotgun:
        TNT1 A 0 A_GiveInventory("ShotShell", 4)
		TNT1 A 0 A_Log("\cGYou empty the Benelli M3S.")
        Stop
    }
} 

See the comments there? If I already have the shotgun, then it gives me this one instead, which would simply give me 4 shells. If not, it gives me the Shotgun.

Using this example, you can simply add Inventory.PickupSound to change the sound that plays on pickup.

2 hours ago, Uni said:

Hi, I'm working on a gameplay modification from various resources that I have gathered online and I want to make use of the unique player-grin-whenever-picks-up-a-new-weapon feature. So my question is:

Is it possible to implement a sound to accompany that unique feature via DECORATE? I'm strictly talking about whenever the player picks up a weapons for the *first time*, not just picking up weapons scattered throughout.

My 2nd question is regarding GZDoom and I was wondering if it's possible to artificially further increase the 'blood' and 'flash' pickup intensity? GZDoom's red and white screen are so subtle comapred to other sourceports that it's somewhat bothers me.

1) Yes, it's possible. Just make a dummy item spawn in place if the player has the original item and give them different pickup sounds.

2) Look into A_SetBlend

Edited by R4L

Thank you for the response. I will definitely look into A_SetBlend and try to work on it myself but regarding the first answer, I know it sounds like I'm avoiding the hard work but everything that I have learned with DECORATE was basically reverse engineering so with that said, is there a chance you could actually write me an example or a template so I could work with that for other things? 

Either way, I appreciate your help!