Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Egg Boy

Hell: Who did it better?

On 3/2/2019 at 11:50 AM, The Mysterious Moustachio said:

"But what about NRFTL," cries out Moustachio from his corner.

Out of those three, I'd pick E3 as my personal favorite.

No test for the living is excellent, bit it's not Id. It's NERVE, but I do consider it official, just like plutonia and tnt 

3 hours ago, insertwackynamehere said:

I don’t even picture Doom 2 as having hell, E3 wins for me. E4 is also cool but I also am not sure I picture it as hell although I don’t know what it is.

To me, the old fire and brimstone isn't as exciting as doom 2's more abstract depiction. They're all great, which is why I brought up the question.

Sandy made all of E3 for ultimate doom. I'd say hes the most experienced and the best in general for hell design. E3M3, E3M4 and E3M5 are all very good maps all by him.

Doom 1 hell seems more defined, with swamps, castles, caverns and other recognizable areas. But with Doom 2 the myriad texturee make areas look strange and unplanned. But as far as I can tell here are the maps:

21: A series of hellish outposts linked by teleporters.

22: I don't remember. That says a lot.

23: A series of caverns, filled with toxic barrels as a cruel joke by the madters of hell.

24: A massive crevice below Hell, filled with fumes from the pits of boiling liquid.

25: A cavern filled with the blood of horrible things, leading into a small stronghold.

26: A UAC base dragged deep into Hell, but not entirely corrupted yet. I'm not sure how to explain all the industrial metal textures.

27: A vast library filled with evil grimoires and unholy knowledge.

28: Eh...I don't know 

29: A massive cavern with the hellish champions fortress rising out of the magma.

30: You all know

Doom 64 for me is the only game that had a really good aesthetic hell, even if it does lack FIREBLU, and great colour theory use.

Too bad since the flow and structure of a lot of D64's maps are really off.

Inferno just needed some Romero maps, and for Sandy to clean up, and add some more stuff to his maps (as well as purge some of the Techbase textures) since Inferno is like an Angus Steak, just undercooked.