Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Marcaek

TNT 2: Devilution (Final beta released)

It certainly is a struggle to keep up the inspiration over a long period of time. Thankfully we didn't have too many severe burnouts.

Was Convilution just Revilution by a different name, or is there also a chance for that one to eventually see the light of day?

10 minutes ago, Marcaek said:

Thankfully we didn't have too many severe burnouts.

Because too many Donuts are not really that healthy. Although the rubber smoke may stun and confuse a Cacodemon!

2 minutes ago, SiFi270 said:

Was Convilution just Revilution by a different name, or is there also a chance for that one to eventually see the light of day?

Convilution was just a set of the rejected Revilution maps, IDK if it is even a serious project or just a Revilution team injoke, you'd have to ask them. We don't have any involvement with a Convilution project here.

I'm pretty sure Convilution was simply a compilation of all the maps that were rejected from Revilution but instead of letting them vanish and never to be seen again, they were simply compiled into a mapset so that people could enjoy and see what other maps were submitted to the project but never made it into the final cut. 

Looking at the first screenshot in the upper left corner, am I correct to assume that Devilution picks up where Evilution left off?

1 minute ago, JohnnyTheWolf said:

Looking at the first screenshot in the upper left corner, am I correct to assume that Devilution picks up where Evilution left off?

Yes.

Looks interesting. That overlooking Mars sky looks like it was made by someone who doesn't understand the pixel aspect ratio of Doom though.

I was going to branch the Convilution discussion into a separate thread but then I actually did some research into what I wanted to know (whaaaaaaat) and it turned out I should have listened to Marcaek because the answer's already in the first post of the Revilution thread. Maybe it'll still leave some people with some questions but again, if that's the case this isn't the thread for it.

Sorry I was so quick to mess up what was meant to be a clean thread.

10 hours ago, pcorf said:

Because too many Donuts are not really that healthy. Although the rubber smoke may stun and confuse a Cacodemon!

My acronym buzzer went off.

Even capitalized the Donut part.

AND it's about burnouts!  Of all the unintentional callouts, this is one of the better ones, my dude.

I've been proudfully part of Devilution since Whoo invited me to it at it's inception. 10 years is heck a lot of time, a lot of things changed. Amazingly, people will still find traces of my mapping in the final product heh in two certain maps which were made, using my old maps as a base, because Tarnsman and Alfonzo are two amazing individuals I had a chance to get to know in this project.

Good job Marcaek, let's get this thing out <3

Still need to play Revilution, but I'm happy to see Devilution's still a thing and is nearing its climax. Two TNT sequels are better than one! Also very nicely compliments the two Plutonia sequels we have (Plutonia 2 and Plutonia Revisited).

Never tried to give Revilution a full go, so I think I'll wait until this gets released and I'll playthrough this first.

Finally the sequel we've been waiting for

Woooow o wow, finally something that I can play aswell as TNT. I'll check this out right away and post some feedback.

Oh there's no download yet, well when there is.

Hi, I'd be happy to playtest and stream this on twitch, loving the look of those screenshots, and it's no secret that evilution is the best iwad.

Would love to do some playtesting for Devilution. If playtesters are still needed, please count me in. Thanks.

I'd love to read about how this and Revilution were split, what was the disagreement on design philosophies between the two, and how they are different from one another.

19 minutes ago, guitardz said:

I'd love to read about how this and Revilution were split, what was the disagreement on design philosophies between the two, and how they are different from one another.

I don't want to derail the thread so I'll keep this fairly brief and spoilered but here's my understanding of how things went down - I was mainly watching this from the sidelines at the time, having already contributed music to a TNT2 map that was thrown out I was one of the people kinda concerned about what was happening to my work.

Spoiler
  • TNT2 starts in 2009 under leadership of Whoo
  • Kyka is one of the main level designers for TNT2, and does most of the work on the project
  • TNT2 keeps getting delayed, I remember it was approaching a deadline for a beta release when I joined the forums back in July 2012. Whoo is doing very little because he hasn't enough time due to IRL commitments so Kyka is effectively running the show
  • Somewhere around late 2013/early 2014, Whoo brings some select individuals (notably Tarnsman) on to the team to help with quality control
  • It's decided that most of Kyka's work is shit and is thrown out without consulting him although there's some stupid bullshit from both sides around this time where those guys could've approached the whole thing a lot better, but Kyka pulls his maps then unpulls them and then pulls them again so you can't blame anyone for not understanding what the fuck was going on at this time. To be fair a lot of those maps needed some serious tuning up.
  • Six million thread splits to post hell later things finally start to calm down and while Kyka's work isn't getting back into TNT2, he decides to start his own version of the project, which was Revilution.

The thing is he later disappeared without adequate warning, leaving me and eventually Jaws in Space (mostly Jaws) to pick up the pieces and we had to scrap a fair few maps ourselves (the rejects going to what would have been Convilution). Revilution is probably closer to what TNT2 was before the split than TNT2 itself is now, but still quite different.

Although there were arguments before this, the post that sparked the final argument leading to the split can be found on page 75 of the original TNT2 thread. Enjoy reading a solid block of bullshit all the way through to page 81.

So I recently ran across some old TNT 2 levels on an old harddrive I dug up, and I decided to see how the project's been going after all these years; it's great to see it's almost done! If you all are willing, I'd love to do some play-testing/bug-hunting. Does the project happen to still have an IRC channel?

On 3/8/2019 at 11:11 AM, guitardz said:

Long story short, Eris's recollection is spot on (at least from what I recall being it was five years ago), especially with me handling everything very poorly.

I'll go over people interested in testing and get back to all of you soon. Nice to see you back Whoo.