Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Marcaek

TNT 2: Devilution (Final beta released)

10 hours ago, eharper256 said:

I'm wondering if the blue start is a tongue-in-cheek reference to how 'out the blue' this release is (haha).

The ending text for TNT describes a blue light emanating from the remains of the Demon Spitter, I'm assuming it's riffing on that.

It's also really goddamn cool, a very atmospheric, cinematic start of the kind you rarely see in vanilla/Boom projects.

17 hours ago, MtPain27 said:

Playing through this I found a couple of visual oddities in MAP 13, pictured below. I guess this has to do with the nodebuilder? I'm playing with ZDoom 2.8.1, so feel free to disregard if this works in GZDoom's current version (and also feel free to chide me on my source port of choice). 

In my opinion source port of choice is very personal for a lot of reasons,  Still use this version of Zdoom myself for different reasons at times,  may not have all the latest bells and whistles but who cares.

Are Roman textures for the secret map original? I never seen those before.

I'm collecting some ancient-themed textures for some use down the road, wonder if I could borrow those.

This project has a lot of interesting textures in general. Certainly helps with visual diversity while progressing through the wad.

Good to see this finally hit public beta after all the years, being one of the OGs in the project when Whoo started it. Now at least people can experience almost all of it and I do recommend people play the all the maps because it is a journey.

I'm on MAP04 now and I'm not sure if I'm supposed to get trapped with plasma or not. If am I supposed to, it's very easy to not do so. If I'm supposed to, I don't know how to escape. Either way, it's not working great.

6 hours ago, ViolentBeetle said:

Are Roman textures for the secret map original? I never seen those before.

I'm collecting some ancient-themed textures for some use down the road, wonder if I could borrow those.

Yup, they're original textures made by @Cage -- ran it past him and Marcaek and we're all cool if you use 'em, though a line of credit in the textfile is always appreciated, etc. :P

20 hours ago, Alfonzo said:

@Bucket I like these updates and I've always been a big fan of your music. Just wanted to put that on the record! Have never tired of listening to the old versions of these on loop during testing and the changes you've made are pretty seamless and great. TyraNt's Tomb and TyphoN ex Tartaros in particular. Thanks!

Much appreciated. I should probably release an album sometime before I die...

Congratulations to the team behind this megawad!  I just finished it and had a blast overall.  I'll speak generally to avoid spoilers but the music was great, there were a lot of involved and detailed secrets to find, it had fun tributes to maps from the original TNT, and it ended with one of the most surreal map30s I've ever played.  I never expected it to end that way but it left quite an impression.  Great job overall and congrats again on this release!

Edited by Vile

@Vile Thanks for playing. Your stream helped realized how some of the choices I made on my map (MAP21) were seriously flawed. Perhaps I could have the chance to make some changes to it, even though I haven't been part of the team for a loooonnngg time.

Cheers.

1 hour ago, Uni said:

Your stream helped realized how some of the choices I made on my map (MAP21) were seriously flawed.

Hey, original TNT also had flawed choices. Just call it a tribute.

7 hours ago, Uni said:

Your stream helped realized how some of the choices I made on my map (MAP21) were seriously flawed. Perhaps I could have the chance to make some changes to it, even though I haven't been part of the team for a loooonnngg time.

I just played through map21 and honestly, I found the map to be fine. The only thing I would change is to allow a way to make the bridges to raise again once they are lowered by the blue key switch. Without those bridges raising, it becomes impossible to get at least 2 (or 3) of the secrets (if you didn't get them before) once they are lowered.

@ReaperAA That's the thing, you can reach every area even after you lowered the bridges by pressing the walls on the sides which functions as a not-too-obvious lifts. That's one of the things I noticed that I think could be better. I also thought that one of the secrets presented in the map should be changed/removed, it's absolutely random and I don't remember why I even included it in its current state.

What a time to be alive. Secret map being roman themed. Blue flashback arena in map01 which has no gameplay value. This is going to be fun ride, but I am waiting for full version.

Does this being released mean, that Convilution will see the light of day very soon?

2 minutes ago, Sokoro said:

What a time to be alive. Secret map being roman themed. Blue flashback arena in map01 which has no gameplay value. This is going to be fun ride, but I am waiting for full version.

Does this being released mean, that Convilution will see the light of day very soon?

I really, really liked that opening blue light arena. It's such an awesome bit of visual storytelling picking up from the Evilution end text. Funny to think that Plutonia and TNT were alternate and contradictory sequels to Doom II, and now Evilution and Revilution are alternate and contradictory sequels to Evilution. Makes me wonder if Convilution will be yet another alternate sequel XD

Speaking of, I remember someone (I want to say Joshy but it could be JawsInSpace. Someone with a J) saying Convilution/TNT Forever would come out a year after both Revilution and Devilution had been out, but this is my memory of a post made many years ago so take it with a grain of salt.

EDIT: @Shepardus got this one around!

I have been enjoying a lot this WAD so far. Up to this point I've played up to MAP09. It can be seen that a good amount of work has been done on the details and visuals. Each map theme is better than the other. Moreover, the gameplay provides a lot of fun as it never gets boring. Additionally the soundtrack is great and addictive.

Spoiler

I have only one criticism to make as of yet:

At MAP06, there is one apparent unachievable secret (Sector 950). I couldn't find any way whatsoever to reach that floor inside a tower with a Computer Map lying above a lift. I opened the map in Doom Builder to try to find out how is that secret hardwired. As I can see, there is a deep floor surrounding the outskirts of the tower that leads to a teleporter portal at the end. This teleporter in its turn brings you to the aforementioned floor. As it seems to me, there is nothing leading to that surrounding perimeter at all. How I am supposed to get there? As I like to always finish maps with 100% of the secrets found, I admit I had to noclip there. I would be very grateful if you could fix this issue.

teleporter.jpg

Edited by MCarsten

@MCarsten I got that secret in my playthrough, I'll edit in some screenshots of how to get it in a bit.

Edit:

Spoiler

In the area just south of that "unachievable perimeter," the corridor with a window overlooking it, you can find a wall with an electrical symbol on it:

doom00.png.573e8d8c014be1c83b5b36e26fed5b33.png

Use that wall to lower it. Inside there's a "switch" on the ground. Walking over it lowers a wall in the corridor outside:

doom01.png.e558f40bf63ea4d1fc3d854dff86a442.png

You can then take a leap of faith through the lowered wall and out the window, into that corridor with the teleporter at the end that takes you to the secret.

Edited by Shepardus

45 minutes ago, Shepardus said:

@MCarsten I got that secret in my playthrough, I'll edit in some screenshots of how to get it in a bit.

Edit:

Hide contents

In the area just south of that "unachievable perimeter," the corridor with a window overlooking it, you can find a wall with an electrical symbol on it:

doom00.png.573e8d8c014be1c83b5b36e26fed5b33.png

Use that wall to lower it. Inside there's a "switch" on the ground. Walking over it lowers a wall in the corridor outside:

doom01.png.e558f40bf63ea4d1fc3d854dff86a442.png

You can then take a leap of faith through the lowered wall and out the window, into that corridor with the teleporter at the end that takes you to the secret.

Nice one!

I was afraid that something was missing. Indeed I missed that lowered wall. 

Good job.

How are you supposed to get plasma gun/armor secret on MAP30 (1584). Looks impossible to me. delete this nevermind

Edited by NuMetalManiak : ***found MAP30 secret I was looking for

Congrats on the release all! Looking forward to getting a chance to play it and revisit & rediscover some of the levels I haven't seen in years.

Also wondering if 13 years is gonna be long enough to claim the longest Mordeth award.

3 hours ago, Whoo said:

Congrats on the release all! Looking forward to getting a chance to play it and revisit & rediscover some of the levels I haven't seen in years.

Also wondering if 13 years is gonna be long enough to claim the longest Mordeth award.

This is only the "public beta" so there's still a chance....

I have played all the maps up till the end of map15 and I am really liking it so far. Maps14 and 15 are especially awesome for those who like maps with exploration.

Though can someone help me how to get the secret exit on map15. I am really lost on that one.

Also depending on what path is taken, the player may not have enough rockets to quickly deal with the 2 viles+dozen revs ambush from grabbing blue armor behind the truck, which really makes it not worth grabbing until one has the BFG or a ton of rockets. I suggest adding more rockets for that area.

On 3/31/2022 at 6:53 AM, BlueThunder said:

In my opinion source port of choice is very personal for a lot of reasons,  Still use this version of Zdoom myself for different reasons at times,  may not have all the latest bells and whistles but who cares.

As someone who used ZDoom 2.8.1 for a long time (up into 2021), I recommend just getting GZDoom. It fixes a lot of little quirks and visual bugs for software rendering. You can turn off all the bells and whistles (including decals and rocket trails if you want) and play it in pure software so it feels vanilla (even though it isn't). It also runs a little better/smoother compared to ZDoom.

There was a weird dancing pixel bug with GZDoom Software rendering in 4.5 and earlier, which I actually bug reported, so the issue was fixed starting with 4.6. A lot of slime trails and stuff you'll see in modern wads with ZDoom 2.8.1 are fixed with the new GZDoom using software rendering.

14 minutes ago, Captain Keen said:

As someone who used ZDoom 2.8.1 for a long time (up into 2021), I recommend just getting GZDoom. It fixes a lot of little quirks and visual bugs for software rendering. You can turn off all the bells and whistles (including decals and rocket trails if you want) and play it in pure software so it feels vanilla (even though it isn't). It also runs a little better/smoother compared to ZDoom.

And not just that. Newest GZDoom versions also have improvements in gameplay compatibility options compared to ZDoom 2.8.1. For example, in "Doom(Strict)" compatibility, the lost soul infighting behavior and knockback behavior of flying enemies is more in line with vanilla Doom/demo compatible ports. There is also "MBF(Strict)" compatibility which does not exist at all in ZDoom 2.8.1

I had this weird thing on the map, was it MAP08, the one with water and hitscan.

This lift got stuck lowered, trying to raise, but also seemed to have invisible wall in front of it.

Update: I found this lift in the editor, it's sectors 418 and 426. I see you took measures to prevent the desynching within two-sectors lift, but it wasn't enough. Imp got stuck on it and everything went weird.

doom124.png

Edited by ViolentBeetle

I'm not sure if you can see it clearly in the picture below, but I found this nocliping floor in MAP12.

image.png.8a40091fec4ec263d30a676ac33700a9.png

I don't even have the words to describe how awesome MAP20 (and the wad in general) is. Wow!

Edited by Krenium

A bug I found on Map32. On HNTR, the mancubus (which replaces the cyberdemon of HMP/UV) on the BFG platform is stuck even after the button is pressed.

Yes I played the map initially on HNTR (and then on HMP and UV), because I found the start of the map a bit too spicy from what I expected from the wad. Almost felt like early-mid Sunlust map at the start. Thankfully, once the starting area is dealt with, the rest of the map afterwards is much more relaxed. I might suggest to make the starting soulsphere of HNTR available for HMP/UV as well to allow a bit more leeway (though that's just my suggestion and you can choose to ignore it).